Interceptor turn rate worse than T1 bomber

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Interceptor turn rate worse than T1 bomber

Postby JoonasTo » 18 Jul 2017, 20:35

Balance wise I don't think there's any reason to nerf T1 bombers but it's really annoying having to micro your inties at the start of the game to kill T1 bombers in the current balance because they will overshoot an unmicroed bomber on a static target so could we consider fixing this behaviour?

If we touch the bomber turn rate that will obviously lower it's DPS, which would require buffing the buildtime/cost too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still a larger balance chance that would be wanted for such a small fix.

If we touch the interceptor turn rate that will make it a lot better at killing T2 transports and somewhat more effective at killing strats. Smaller and easier balance fix than the first.

But what if we just lower the minimum speed of the interceptor, that should work, right?
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Re: Interceptor turn rate worse than T1 bomber

Postby ZLO_RD » 19 Jul 2017, 08:10

JoonasTo wrote:But what if we just lower the minimum speed of the interceptor, that should work, right?

not sure what that will achive. don't think that interceptor AI will slow down interceptor to prevent it getting away from turning bomber. it will alway move interceptor at high speed, and intie will not slow down when it is close to target. idk.
and if we talk about manual micro, then you can go as slow as you want with interceptor.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Re: Interceptor turn rate worse than T1 bomber

Postby JoonasTo » 19 Jul 2017, 12:32

They are smart enough to slow down to chase a slow T1 bomber/transport at 10 speed though.

If somebody knows for a fact if this would work or not, please share.

I'm going to try and see how aeon transports behave, seeing as they have AA weapons and a speed range of 0-15 but I'm pretty sure their acceleration stat is different.

EDIT: Yeah, transports follow them near perfectly. Swifties and ASF also follow a lot better. ASF obviously have different turn rates but swifties are identical in turn rate and only have 8 minimum speed instead of 10. Unless there's another reason(they do catch up to the bomber faster too since maximum speed of 18 so more time to adjust) I'm not aware of for this behaviour, this seems like a good sign that dropping the minimum speed could work.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Return to Balance Discussion