Non-Cybrans desperately needs something for sinky crap

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Non-Cybrans desperately needs something for sinky crap

Postby Mel_Gibson » 21 Jun 2017, 19:54

I'm throwing this out there in the hopes that it will generate discussion, and if I'm wrong about it, to learn something.

On maps like high noon, Cybran are able to put you under pressure from the get T2. Masses of sinky wagners can attack you from any angle and you are forced to (ineffectually) invest in PD and your own land units, which play no further part in the game. Sure, sub spam is expensive but you can't outspam wagners and the enemy units can retreat to land for safety, nullifying your sub investment. Since that land will usually be your side of the map, the threat is not eliminated in the least, you might not have built subs at all.

Yes, factions have torp def which work well against paper t2 sinkycrap, but you need naval superiority for it to not be an expensive counter. And cheap Cybran frigates make it a non-proposition.

The situation is even worse with maps like CookieNoob's Assdistressa or whatever it's called. Winning your aquatic part of the map with sub spam is once again expensive and its utility is limited since you can't use those subs elsewhere. To defend against Cybran T2 sinkycrap, you have to have a tonne of torp def, and destroyers are the only way to defend against incursions and still have that mass investment useful on the other side of the map. Even then it's quite easy to be out spammed and since the passage of water is narrow, your pgen HQ is very vulnerable.

The hover is supposed to be the fluffy counterpart of sinky T2, but while it is a counterpart, it isn't a counter. They are essentially immune to each other but at least the enemy has the advantage of being able to use frigates to defend. Non-Cybrans do not have that ability. While they are protected from land based defence, hovering engies are immune from their attacks and keeping a shipyard alive is totally irrelevant.

There is a gaping hole in the non-Cybran lineup and while I'm not complaining about overall balance, they are at a big disadvantage on close-in maps where water is part of the strategic, ahem, landscape. Playing as non-Cybran on those maps is an exercise in tooth enamel preservation.

PS while I'm shamelessly making demands, can we have amusing balance threads please? Thanks.
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Non-Cybrans desperately needs something for sinky crap

Postby Zeldafanboy » 21 Jun 2017, 23:43

its unfair that only Cybran Destroyers can walk on land they get lonely

I propose that every Cybran naval unit gets legs so they can be a happy family
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby IceDreamer » 21 Jun 2017, 23:53

Mantis should be able to jump up and ride Salems over oceans like little shoulder pets. That'll give them a ride across the pond, and stops the Salems feeling all lonely.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby nine2 » 22 Jun 2017, 00:12

It is ok for the destroyers to feel lonely but other factions should get some sort of negative emotions as well
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Nepty » 22 Jun 2017, 01:27

Someone needs a (slow) flying destroyer. I would say UEF, but it doesn't match their style. That's a really crappy destroyer by the way.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Exotic_Retard » 22 Jun 2017, 02:11

IceDreamer wrote:Mantis should be able to jump up and ride Salems over oceans like little shoulder pets. That'll give them a ride across the pond, and stops the Salems feeling all lonely.

lovely. i think its a great idea. just imagine:
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Ars Nova » 22 Jun 2017, 02:12

I propose nerfing Cybran building HP to make them weaker to raiding and sniping, giving them the worst T2 PD, providing an inconvenient shield for late game, and buffing every other factions' MMLs to reduce Cybran's relative advantage. After that, maybe nerf Monkeylord, nerf the Corsair, remove the Jester, and nerf frigates.

Finally, remove the Cybran's ability to build radar, because we want to promote faction diversity, and since Cybran's stealth generators are literally unstoppable, it's only fair that Cybran shouldn't have radar at all. And if somebody comes into a thread asking why we did all this. Say it with me.

F.A.C.T.I.O.N D.I.V.E.R.S.I.T.Y.

It would be wrong to have a more sensible argument than "factional diversity".
Ars Nova
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Zeldafanboy » 22 Jun 2017, 03:11

Exotic_Retard wrote:
IceDreamer wrote:Mantis should be able to jump up and ride Salems over oceans like little shoulder pets. That'll give them a ride across the pond, and stops the Salems feeling all lonely.

lovely. i think its a great idea. just imagine:

Now that's just fucking adorable.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Re: Non-Cybrans desperately needs something for stinky crap

Postby biass » 22 Jun 2017, 06:08

We need to up the dps of the cybran air freshener, mass to mass the tanks of the other factions have waaay cleaner interiors compared to cybran, and that disadvantage is already affected by cybran getting sweaty having to run around everywhere, ever since i started playing cybran i had to smuggle an extra can of Lynx body spray into the pilot compartment just to be level with the other factions, and then chemicals gave me a headache! causing me to lose and lose all of my ratings
i would love to not be affected by this disadvantage and finally get back to my true rating of 2300, please consider
Last edited by biass on 22 Jun 2017, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 22 Jun 2017, 06:29

Ars Nova wrote:I propose nerfing Cybran building HP to make them weaker to raiding and sniping, giving them the worst T2 PD, providing an inconvenient shield for late game, and buffing every other factions' MMLs to reduce Cybran's relative advantage. After that, maybe nerf Monkeylord, nerf the Corsair, remove the Jester, and nerf frigates.

Finally, remove the Cybran's ability to build radar, because we want to promote faction diversity, and since Cybran's stealth generators are literally unstoppable, it's only fair that Cybran shouldn't have radar at all. And if somebody comes into a thread asking why we did all this. Say it with me.

F.A.C.T.I.O.N D.I.V.E.R.S.I.T.Y.

It would be wrong to have a more sensible argument than "factional diversity".

After we do all that, can we also shut you up?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Next

Return to Balance Discussion