Buff cybran nerf UEF

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Buff cybran nerf UEF

Postby AdmiralZeech » 24 May 2017, 12:36

JaggedAppliance wrote:Just something about the use of stats in directing balance work:

The popularity of factions does reflect the relative strength and the perceived relative strength of the factions to some degree but I don't think it is the only factor or even the most important factor. Making the aim of the balance process creating absolute parity of popularity and win rate between factions would be a huge mistake. As I said already, the strength of factions is not the only factor in popularity, so we would have to overcompensate in balance to achieve parity. I doubt anyone actually desires the scale of changes necessary to bring Aeon and especially Seraphim to the popularity of Cybran and UEF. This concept also tunnel visions on factional balance, which is a problem of FAF balance discussions generally imo. All balance changes will necessarily have some factional balance implication but it is not the only dimension to the changes.

To be clear, the stats are useful and we will use them to judge the factions and the feeling of the community but they can't be elevated above that to where they control our decisions.

Shrug, there's another side to this issue, though. *Why* do you want balance? It's not a goal in itself - you want balance so that gameplay experience is improved.

If all factions were well balanced, it's quite possible that one of them would be universally played because it's easier to use, looks cooler, or has some other benefits that cause popularity.

I'm saying that balance is only a means to an end. The overall goals are variety and fairness. Which means trying to reach a stage where all factions (and all strategies) are equally popular, and also equally likely to win, assuming opponents of equal skill. Due to the extra factors mentioned above (ease of use, aesthetics, etc) it's certainly possible that some of the factions receive a strength penalty due to some other benefit.

But that in itself could be a good thing (easy to use but somewhat weaker faction, hard to use but stronger faction, etc. Remember that winrates are being equalised too, so it's never too extreme.)

Think about it this way. Let's say there was Game A which was not well balanced, but had equal popularity and winrates at all levels of play, and Game B, which is perfectly balanced theoretically, but has big differences in popularity and success between factions. Which game would you say has the bigger problem that needs fixing?
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Turinturambar » 24 May 2017, 12:47

Game A which was not well balanced, but had equal popularity and winrates at all levels of play

pls tell me how ou get equal winrates for all faction with poor Balance? only solution I see is each facton havin a few op/very strong tactics and the rest of each faction being garbage/not used because weaker. if there are no straightup weak Units/strategies the game should allready be balanced fairly well.
Turinturambar

Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Iszh » 24 May 2017, 13:25

It is the same i told before. That could lead to a temporary disbalance until the populartiy of other factions rise. But of course it would be turned the other way after result is reached. We are not talking about mega changes.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby Farmsletje » 24 May 2017, 14:37

Just so you know, t3 navy can be build on non setons map too you know
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Iszh » 24 May 2017, 14:39

yes sure but not in comparable ammounts. There you can see the limits of t3 naval battle lategame. Other games can of course reach t3 navy. But 1-5 t3 ships is not really t3 ship battle.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby Morax » 24 May 2017, 14:43

I can't wait to make a map where t3 Navy is relevant other than setons so the superiority complex of setons Navy banter is crushed....

So sick of hearing how they are the top source on anything naval.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Evan_ » 24 May 2017, 17:14

How about Roanoke Abyss? I think it's a great way to test t3 navy because of the tradeoff of attacking islands with t2 navy and building up t3

Although I don't know how often people do 3v3s on that map.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby biass » 24 May 2017, 17:24

EvanGalea wrote:Abyss?

just like my soul

y nice navy maps are lacking, because funny enough the best navy maps are not just navy but land and air too imo

if it's all navy, the cancerious snowball of navy fights is all that you think of, alongside frigspam (roanoke pre frignerf :DD)
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 24 May 2017, 17:58

Morax wrote:I can't wait to make a map where t3 Navy is relevant other than setons so the superiority complex of setons Navy banter is crushed....

So sick of hearing how they are the top source on anything naval.

more maps where water isn't just there for decoration/a way to block land units from getting to places would be amazing
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby AdmiralZeech » 24 May 2017, 18:20

turinturambar42 wrote:
Game A which was not well balanced, but had equal popularity and winrates at all levels of play

pls tell me how ou get equal winrates for all faction with poor Balance? only solution I see is each facton havin a few op/very strong tactics and the rest of each faction being garbage/not used because weaker. if there are no straightup weak Units/strategies the game should allready be balanced fairly well.

Well, one way would be for the statistically stronger factions to be so difficult to use, that people don't win more often with them, and the opposite for the easy to use factions.

You could say that they are "well balanced" due to how hard/easy they are to use, but theorycrafting with numbers would show that game as being imbalanced.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Been liked: 62 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion