Beta 3678 feedback thread

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Beta 3678 feedback thread

Postby JaggedAppliance » 15 Mar 2017, 19:03

Beta patch 3678 is released, click on FAF Beta in the play tab to play it. Patchnotes can be found here: http://content.faforever.com/patchnotes/3678.html

Please note that this is a beta, all changes are subject to possible removal or alteration.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Re: Beta 3678 feedback thread

Postby Morax » 15 Mar 2017, 19:13

I really cannot wait to see how the reclaim change affects the game.

This is a very-welcome and interesting dynamic.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Gorton » 15 Mar 2017, 20:47

Secret sparky buff ftw
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Mel_Gibson » 15 Mar 2017, 22:01

Disclaimer: Perspective from Setons whore

Everything about the tree groups not breaking is really nice. But I don’t like it at all. For 1, why do engies not break trees but everything else does? It just seems a bit arbitrary and nonsensical.

From a game play perspective i, personally, like that there is a trade off between getting an engie somewhere quicker and disrupting your shorter term reclaim potential in that area. Things seem a little dumbed down with this change, but then, perhaps that is what is preferred.

If one of the objectives is to reduce spamming of manual reclaim commands then i’m not sure it will have the desired effect. Right now using manual reclaim commands on tree groups you run the risk of wasting your apm by breaking the tree groups anyway, again a trade off. With this change, from what I can see, there would be no downside to spamming even more manual reclaim commands on tree groups because you aren’t punished by pathfinding breaking trees but you get the upside of quicker reclaim. Indeed, the only limit would be your apm.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the ladder contingent on how/if this will affect their build orders/gameplay. Does first scout to break trees become meta? :D
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby IceDreamer » 15 Mar 2017, 22:06

Swol wrote:Everything about the tree groups not breaking is really nice. But I don’t like it at all. For 1, why do engies not break trees but everything else does? It just seems a bit arbitrary and nonsensical.

Agree. I'd love to think of this as a trial run... :D
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby galacticfear » 16 Mar 2017, 03:14

I appreciate the additional HP change reversals, and the sera gun could be interesting, but I cannot stress how strongly I oppose that T4 Vet/tree reclaim/reclaim change.
galacticfear

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 85 times
FAF User Name: galacticfear

Postby IceDreamer » 16 Mar 2017, 03:34

Please explain your objections.

Preventing Engineers breaking trees is, I think, more of an anti-frustrating-gameplay change. I doubt it will have a massive effect on actual game balance, just player stress levels.

The tree split calculation thing has been poorly explained, it's actually a bugfix, or fix of a much earlier oversight. When the tree clumping/splitting costs were reworked several years ago, an error of calculation was made that saw the numbers out by 5% from what they should have been. This finally fixes that.

Insta-heal has always been one of the least enjoyable, most-complained-about, aspects of the game. Anywhere but on ACUs it simply adds frustration and cries of BS. Personally I hope this is step one on the road to removing insta-heal vet mechanics completely from non-ACU units.

EDIT: galacticfear you can read about the splitting change here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/964
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby galacticfear » 16 Mar 2017, 03:52

Changing reclaim rate will impact all build orders on any map that involves tree reclaim, since you must also be halving reclaim speed of trees. And purely from a setons perspective it will ruin the initial mass grab dynamic. Removal of tree breaking lowers skill cap. T3 land was always better than T4, but now even more so with that nerf, why even build them other than for the initial kills/snipe? The number of games that would have different outcomes over the past 10 years if T4 gained 50% less health per rank would be extremely high to say the least. T4 rush now has greater chance to be a mass donation. I saw the HP gains as a reward for careful micro and poor counter micro of the enemy, whenever I use a T4 I am always trying to rank it up. Likewise the enemy should only engage if they believe they can do a sure kill.

I don't mind broken trees yielding slightly more reclaim though. But that has to be done carefully.

I don't think T4 need to be nerfed at all, but if it is so desired, it should be done by increasing kills to vet. Think that units such as awhwassa had that drastically increased, now in combination with less HP that is a seriously big nerf.
galacticfear

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 85 times
FAF User Name: galacticfear

Postby KeyBlue » 16 Mar 2017, 04:10

I think you misread the changelog, since it says only wrecks will be influenced and not trees or rocks or other props.
Reclaim time of unit wrecks has been doubled. Props and live units are unaffected.

Otherwise Galacticfear points out some interesting things, which would be nice to see countered by the balance team.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Farmsletje » 16 Mar 2017, 04:11

galacticfear wrote: I saw the HP gains as a reward for careful micro and poor counter micro of the enemy, whenever I use a T4 I am always trying to rank it up.

Maybe this doesn't happen a lot on setons, but on a lot of 10x10 teamgame maps it generally goes like this:
- attack move almost dead t4 in the general direction of your opponents base
- get some beer
- get back and it has 60k hp

More than often it's impossible to stop t4 vets, especially ML/czar vets. And then i'm talking about unmicroed t4's.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Next

Return to Balance Discussion