Thoughts about Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Thoughts about Balance

Postby PhilipJFry » 19 Sep 2016, 08:59

Quite a few people have voiced their displeasure with the current way the balance is shifting and tried to influence it Pascal. Claiming everyone is just hiding behind BH is not really true.

Also i get where lebensnebel is coming from, even tho i don't completely agree with him.
BH just coming in here saying stuff doesn't look too well so i should take over just isn't enough of a justification for a lot of people to support him.

That being said i really would like to see a bigger/more open balance council but not necessary one that does what "the community" thinks.
Spoiler: show
believe it or not but the majority can be wrong about stuff too.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby lebensnebel » 19 Sep 2016, 10:09

To me it seems like many people are unstatisfied with the balance process for a wide range of reasons, like (1) speed of changes, (2) type of changes and (3) way of decision making, but all of these problems have very different reasons and are not easily solved.
Now, instead of entering an open discussion involving details of each problem, some people just blame the current person "responsible", which is actually a nice individual who is working hard to fix shit. This was previously Zep, then we had no one taking point on balance, and now it's Zock. It's just really sad to see this mob-like dynamic burn out people who are actually contributing to FAF.

I'm just not conviced that a lot of "voting", "group of 5 equal members for balance", or putting BH as a "dictator" will magically fix these things.

For example, look at Zocks post regarding the decision making in the balance team. They wanted to do a group structure like many demand here, but the problem was that noone was active. So they were left with two people. Therefore, instead of removing Zock, other people wanting to contribute should prove themselves and then join the balance team.

One more thing: Maybe it would be a good idea to have a discussion of the general direction of balance separate from the drama about persons.
With the general direction of balance I mean the decision, if we mainly want to preserve the status quo or if we want bigger changes to increase faction diversity and keep the game interesting.
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Sep 2016, 10:36

lebensnebel wrote:They wanted to do a group structure like many demand here, but the problem was that noone was active. So they were left with two people. Therefore, instead of removing Zock, other people wanting to contribute should prove themselves and then join the balance team.

Not true, I was active (very active), exotic_retard was active, Ice_dremer was active, and none is parth of balance team. I personaly test 80% of balance patch in hundrets of tests write long elaboraty about that what is good what is wrong why its wrong and what should be better and zero f*** was given.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby lebensnebel » 19 Sep 2016, 10:40

Hey Ithilis_Quo,

from my point of view you should be part of the balance team. Also, I think some of your suggestions have already been used for patches? So at least you were not totally ignored ;-).
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Sep 2016, 10:55

most of the current patch is going same direction as equlibrium, but zock do it with diferent number and ignore fact that i test it hundrets times in past and found better number for same solution. Looks on T2/3 upgrade or uef nano, i write that this is wrong and will must change about 5x before patch was realsed, after realsing and shitstorm that fall ower faf it will be changed in next patch. Realsed soonTM.

Zock balme about not enought beta tester but ignore huge experience of people who realy get time and test it and sugest different number.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Zock » 19 Sep 2016, 13:19

That being said i really would like to see a bigger/more open balance council

Therefore, instead of removing Zock, other people wanting to contribute should prove themselves and then join the balance team.

That would be great indeed. :) As pointed out, i am not doing everything alone and not listening to anyone with Jagged (and occasionally Zlo and now SirPrize when they have time, and before that with keyser, and before that with pip and Vee, and others) because i want to decide everything by myself. When i became balance councillor i could've decided to do so, but i don't believe that a person deciding everything by himself is good in any way. People make mistakes, and it is important to have other who can point them out. A single person can easily get ahead of himself with concepts and start to lose touch with the reality of the game. Or getting so fed up with all the "hate" that he would start to ignore reasonable critic too in an attempt to filter all the bad feedback.

To prevent this things from happening to me, i decided to make a balanceteam rather than just working alone on the balance. The team is supposed to help doing the balance, but also to control (me and each other) and prevent things getting out of hand.

Now being in the balance team is not something everyone can do, and that's why i have less people in it than i'd like.

I made the testing team not only to test but also to find suitable candidates by seeing who is willing to put in work, is able to have open and unbiased discussions, has the needed knowledge about the game (not to be confused with being good at the game, but often goes together), and so on..

Thats where i added first keyser, then JaggedAppliance, and not too long ago SirPrize to the team, and also why i haven't added anyone else from there. E.g. after months of people complaining about loyalists, i was asking for someone to actually post replays that show that loyas are OP. I thought that shouldn't be too hard, after everyone agreed to it so easily. However, jaggedAppliance was the only one who posted some. And was also open to discuss them openly rather than insisting i don't listen to anyone after i didn't 100% agree to his points and implemented his feedback (which is why e.g. ithilis but also many others are not in the balance team, more on that later). So i added him to the team.

Should i lower the requirements now? And add e.g. Blackheart (if we imagine he'd want to for a second), who doesn't even play anymore except for money and who's contribution to balance is limited to this post? Even Lichking showed far more effort by taking time to argue for his opinion and creating a mod to test it. I don't think lowering the requirements to get into the balance team will solve any problems, rather create new ones. Just as in development, where some more coders would be badly needed, they need to work with the few people who are suitable, and so do I.

One more thing: Maybe it would be a good idea to have a discussion of the general direction of balance separate from the drama about persons.
With the general direction of balance I mean the decision, if we mainly want to preserve the status quo or if we want bigger changes to increase faction diversity and keep the game interesting.

Indeed, a few things are getting thrown in together here that are all connected, but not really the same:

-The direction of the balance in general
-The structure of the balance team
-The content of the last and next patch in specific
-And the person Zock being balance councillor

I can maybe expand on what i already wrote in my last post about the direction of balance in general in a new topic in the next few days, if no one else starts it.

Not true, I was active (very active), exotic_retard was active, Ice_dremer was active, and none is parth of balance team. I personaly test 80% of balance patch in hundrets of tests write long elaboraty about that what is good what is wrong why its wrong and what should be better and zero f*** was given.

Equalling your testing for equilibrium but not playing a single (correct me if i'm wrong) balance test game with "hundreds of hours of testing the balance patch", and equalling me spending hours to consider, answer and discuss your feedback (and we actually implemented a lot of it) with "zero f*** given" is exactly the reason why you are not in the balance team. Putting in work, being open to discuss and having knowledge about the game are important conditions, and if its just for them, i'd have added you a long time ago, because i appreciate all your work, testing and feedback very much, even if you don't believe me. But having a decent discussion culture is required too. Repeatedly going on about how the balance team is shit, lazy and ineffective because there are not enough patches after i repeatedly explained to you that it wasn't possible to release any probably doesn't help either.

Retard on the other hand, was one of the first persons i noted down when i thought about who would be a good candidate for the first balance team, but thats a different story.

And IceDreamer is organizing a lot of the development stuff, he might even become Game Councillor, and has enough to do there. But many of his suggestions got implemented (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12804), and we were doing some of the other changes together (like new janus, selen toggle, and more), and if he wouldn't be occupied with the development side, i'd have added him already.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Blackheart » 19 Sep 2016, 13:50

If your balance "team" would obey to clear rules and equal power of the members, I would gladly join in (and so would probably people like Petric... obviously nobody wants to work in a team just to be static noise). That is the whole point of my posting. As long as i dont have any guarantee that my work has any value, i will not spend any time. Simple as that. Our opinions are different to a point that a collaboration without rules can not work, i recognize that and want to solve it.
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Zock » 19 Sep 2016, 14:28

As pointed out before, i believe completely equal rights, especially with people having different ideas what needs to be done, could easily lead to stagnation and the balance becoming limited to endless discussions about very small changes. There need to be someone who decides about the general direction of balance, and who can ensure people in the team doesn't block each other and work together.

At the moment however, everyone in the balanceteam has a veto right about any change I (or anyone) suggests, even though its not "officially formalized" but simply happening by me asking if everyone is ok with releasing each change. As pointed out, i've never done any change any of the members heavily disagreed to. If the team grows, this veto right for individuals would rather have to turn into a veto right for a certain amount of people in the team to ensure functionality.

Everyone has the same weight in suggesting changes too, which means the only "unequal power" i have been enjoying for the past 2 years was to appoint people to the team and to have the last word in case of stalemates. Though i am also deciding the general direction and vision of the balance, and as mentioned sharing this approach is one of the conditions to get into the balance team, since this approach is what gave us the balance we are having currently in the first place and i am convinced it is the best way for FAF.

This will stay as long as i'm balance councillor (or someone brings up some good arguments to change my mind), and if FAF decides that it doesn't share this direction of balance anymore, i would hand the position as balance councillor over to someone else, as i am not going to do something I believe is wrong. But about the actual changes, equal rights are actually a reality since the beginning.

Everyone who finds this "conditions" acceptable, actually plays the game and can show that he is willing to put in the required work and time, as well as the mentioned requirements in my post before, is very welcome to the balance team, including you. :)
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby PsychoBoB » 19 Sep 2016, 14:38

After this two or three posts from Zock an BH i'd say they should talk personally to each other. Everything else could create misunderstandings because of their different view of the things.
I think this particular moment is a very good base to get a great balance team! Use it!!!
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Blackheart » 19 Sep 2016, 15:23

As Zock stated, it is a clear requirement for his balance team to share his general vision of balance. I dont think that a single persons vision has more validity than the visions of 5 people (which obviously will clash.. but that is why there are 5 people, so there cant be a tie on a vote). Hence i (and many others) can never be part of a team following his vision - the only solution is to let FAF decide what they want.

I think pretty much all is said by now, and i can only hope that sheeo will not delay and delay and delay, but instead take a few minutes of his time to put up a vote.
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion