Thoughts about Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Thoughts about Balance

Postby biass » 17 Sep 2016, 05:54

two sides on an argument both claiming to be self righteous "oh stop being so rude get back on topic" while flinging insults :twisted:

we talk about balance on anything other then the balance related posts, where we just shit on eachother
can we maybe actually act like adults so a change might be possible instead of ruining any chance we bh had :?:
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby AdmiralZeech » 17 Sep 2016, 06:10

Too much talk, too much politics, too much theory.

Personally I'd prefer a "money where your mouth is" approach, where the FAF system can list several betas at the same time. And the number of games played, number of unique players, etc. for each beta mod.

Then each person / group of people who want to put forwards a balance opinion, does it in code, not in talk.

Players can vote with their feet, and the best mod wins.

Of course, popular does not equal good, but maybe people dont want "good"... maybe they just want 3599 and Setons, lol.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby KD7BCH » 17 Sep 2016, 11:04

Petricpwnz wrote:Totally agree with the policy of frequent small patches and a reliable balance team with equal rights of ~5 members. This system is flexible and even if it doesn't do good it can change everything on the fly and more importantly it will bring the feel of "development" happening in at least some aspect of faf (balance).

About Damn Time!

With all due respect to ZOCK and his numerous excuses for why so little has been done on the balance front over the last 2 yrs. He had several people posting balance mods and in depth solutions and testing for almost a year and it was largely ignored, no interaction with Korbah or myself whatsoever. Plenty of ridiculous accusations by community members over a few wayward ideas regarding transports but solutions to T3 air spam and rushing to T3 expanding T2 utility which negates the drive to rush to T3. Anyway, some active engagement by ZOCK might have benefited those efforts a great deal, even just the interaction legitimizing the dozens of hours spent developing and testing but that wasn't to be. I've quit the game and don't play, not sure if Korbah still does. A big part of the reason why is ASF spam which has been a problem for years, spawned dozens of hundred+ page threads and nothing had been advanced here for over a year while I played.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby Nexus_of_Reality » 18 Sep 2016, 20:58

Hmm.. tbh I kinda just voted heartler for fun.. but now I see you've actually put in the time to come up with better ideas concerning balance development. So.. I actually think you're going to be a good balance counselor now xP

Furthermore, I would be willing to help with some balance testing if heartler becomes dictator ^^
Nexus_of_Reality

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Nexus_of_Reality

Postby PsychoBoB » 18 Sep 2016, 21:12

Hm, i'm very interested in blackhearts thoughts. He started this thread five days ago with a big well written post and now he doesn't participate anymore.

Blackheart, are you preparing something or didn't you just have time to write anything?
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Blackheart » 18 Sep 2016, 21:20

There simply is no need for me to write anything more in this thread. I wrote everything i wanted to say in my opening post, and it contains and answers all questions asked in this thread if you look closely (e.g. asking me about my vision of balance is not very relevant, because i would be a mere 20% of the balance team and hence a fixed vision would be a waste of time. A good starting point would be though to e.g. tackle loyalist)).

What i can say though, is that this got "discussed" at todays dev meeting, where it got postponed - so see you all again in some weeks, or rather months i suppose.
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby PsychoBoB » 18 Sep 2016, 21:32

Thanks, this was qick! :D

Let's see what comes down the road in the nexts few month...
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby lebensnebel » 18 Sep 2016, 22:19

Blackheart, I don't see what's keeping from contributing right now?
As I understand from your last post, you merely want to be a part of the balance team... so host test games, make mods with any proposed changes, and post replays. Put your money where your mouth is.
I'm sure, if you show that you are serious about this and willing to put in the hours&work, you will be welcomed with open arms in the balance team.

I'm not sure, if all this drama is necessary... .
lebensnebel

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: lebensnebel

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 18 Sep 2016, 23:19

https://media.makeameme.org/created/fix ... ibrium.jpg

My mod fixed Titan-Loyalist issue as well and made less global changes, if you do not like EQ.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby PascalP » 19 Sep 2016, 01:35

lebensnebel wrote:Blackheart, I don't see what's keeping from contributing right now?
As I understand from your last post, you merely want to be a part of the balance team... so host test games, make mods with any proposed changes, and post replays. Put your money where your mouth is.
I'm sure, if you show that you are serious about this and willing to put in the hours&work, you will be welcomed with open arms in the balance team.

I'm not sure, if all this drama is necessary... .

there is one big issue with it bh wants 5 equal people and not just be a underling who has no saying at all.
Also why dont people just read what bh wrote ... jus thtink about your question and maybe reread it, would prevent unnecessary questions.
Whats funny aswell everyone is unhappy about the current balance, but no one dared to actually put work in helping to change it, then there comes bh who actually tries to help the majority of faf and suddenly people want him to put all his spare time into making plans when its not even sure that he or his idea is being seriously considered.
These people should be a little bit ashamed... for now its not about making bh a supreme balance cancelor like Zock is, its about supporting bhs idea and making 5 people to an equal and democratic Balance team, whichs duty is to listen to the community and fullfilling there wishes but pushing the game even further at the same time, what is NOT possible for 1 single person who has its own ideas and is not listening to the wishes of the community.
PascalP

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: PascalP

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion