Thoughts about Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Thoughts about Balance

Postby Morax » 14 Sep 2016, 16:03

Mephi wrote: A big pro for zock as balance councilor is, that he has a vision where the balance should go (big changes to t3, use of acus, etc.)

This is 100% not true. He has a clouded vision where he sees something great but in actuality it's been met with HEAVY resistance, which is not meeting the primary goal: making the community happy. Zock is failing hard at that right now and the bal direction has made me have disdain for late-FAF more than broken server features.

If he has such a vision why can't he share the whole thing now? I'd like to see these t3 rush plans for the future.

Does anyone have a copy or know where the thread is where Zock made a community vote for option "A" or "B" for the direction of the balance patch system? The community CLEARLY voted for one of the options and his recent string of patches were the polar opposite. Considering Zock already went back on his word - in a big way - I don't trust him on his vision for this matter.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby JoonasTo » 14 Sep 2016, 16:04

It keeps the game alive and interesting people will learn new factions play new tactics

Before throwing lines like that out, seemingly thoughtlessly, everyone should really watch this. I've linked it to the start of the balance part for the lazy but the whole thing is very much worth watching. As is part 2.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby JaggedAppliance » 14 Sep 2016, 16:15

Morax wrote:
Mephi wrote: A big pro for zock as balance councilor is, that he has a vision where the balance should go (big changes to t3, use of acus, etc.)

This is 100% not true. He has a clouded vision where he sees something great but in actuality it's been met with HEAVY resistance, which is not meeting the primary goal: making the community happy. Zock is failing hard at that right now and the bal direction has made me have disdain for late-FAF more than broken server features.

He does actually have a vision for basically every part of the game.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Mephi » 14 Sep 2016, 16:19

Morax wrote:This is 100% not true. He has a clouded vision where he sees something great but in actuality it's been met with HEAVY resistance, which is not meeting the primary goal: making the community happy.

The goal of balance is not to make people happy, its about making the game better, even or especially if people at first disagree. Zock told me, that he could make changes, which a lot of people would like more, but he decided against it. If you want to know more about this, ask him.

Morax wrote:If he has such a vision why can't he share the whole thing now? I'd like to see these t3 rush plans for the future.

Its a overall nerf for t3 units. Those ideas werent published, because its planned for future patches. Again if you want further information ask zock.

And it would be nice if you could be a bit more polite in your posts, Morax
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby PsychoBoB » 14 Sep 2016, 17:05

What about an interview with Zock?

I think this whole thing is to extensive to fit it in a forum thread. It takes way too much time to write good posts and then there still will be some questions left or the point of some topics gets still not clear. Let's find a moderator (I'd do it if my english would be good enough... :( , me voting for Gyle :D ) and maybe two or three critical participants for an interview with Zock.
This interview should not necessarily be live. All participants should be well prepared. Maybe some of the questions for Zock could be collected in a forum thread.
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Morax » 14 Sep 2016, 17:31

PsychoBob, if you search the forums and threads about the balance arguments he basically has been interviewed.

How you want to accept those answers is up to you.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby KeyBlue » 14 Sep 2016, 18:04

Morax wrote:Does anyone have a copy or know where the thread is where Zock made a community vote for option "A" or "B" for the direction of the balance patch system? The community CLEARLY voted for one of the options and his recent string of patches were the polar opposite. Considering Zock already went back on his word - in a big way - I don't trust him on his vision for this matter.

Just look in the balance forum... 20s of looking through thread titles.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10692

He says here they have been working on T3 patch a lot. (not proving he did, just that he claims this, but nobody said he was lying, so...)
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12926&p=132827&hilit=T3+delayed#p132827

So you have quite a few misconceptions, unless there is proof somewhere that i don't know/remember that reveals the balance team of being liars.

Official interview concerning the biggest community issues, his overal view and how he plans to react on Blackheart deciding to help, would be a very good thing. Especially since speech is so much better than text. (yes i saw your post on slack ;) )
Considering he can't talk to everybody individually, an interview would be the next best thing?
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Kalvirox » 14 Sep 2016, 19:08

I'll be honest, with all the recent moaning about balance and whatnot and this/that/the other.
Quite frankly, I really don't care anymore.

So long as someone with a reasonable amount of common sense and skill becomes balance Councillor I don't care what direction the meta takes. I'll still pick out the OP stuff and abuse it to whore my ladder rating to 200 higher than it should be.

If you want change then go for it. I won't argue that its a good or bad thing because I am 1900 (Should be 1700) ladder rating and I know nothing about this game.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Postby RocketRooster » 14 Sep 2016, 19:19

If I may abtain the floor for a moment, yer lordships?

I table a motion that we instate a diktat that GLHF henceforth be replaced by GLAMTBBWY. That is to say, "Good luck and may the balance be with you."

Thank you.
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 14 Sep 2016, 21:36

Sure, you can have a system where 5 people handle balance. But please, make the elections democratic. It can be done by linking a simple poll, something like: "Do you choose [and put names of all candidates]?" And let the players choose 5 out of X candidates. To make this and to get everyone involved, put the link to the poll in #aeolus' topic and on the What's new page for at least two weeks.

To become a candidate, you must be in FAF for at least 1.5 years or something and be an active player, who does not play the same map type all the time (this condition is optional).

My 2 cents
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion