Thoughts about Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Thoughts about Balance

Postby JoonasTo » 23 Sep 2016, 14:27

I don't get where the quick balance changes idea comes from.

It should be obvious that if the balance changes every month there's no incentive in investing into creating new builds/strategies because by the time they're created and perfected, they're already obsolete.

That's just like changing ladder maps every week. Who wants that?
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby Exotic_Retard » 23 Sep 2016, 14:35

the quick balance changes idea comes from the time it takes for an issue to be recognized to the time it takes for a fix to be ready, and then even more time for it to be released, we know that it can take 6 months or more (at least for some of my fixes)

by having quick patches we allow for hotfixes to be administered quickly. and to retain a sense of progress.

this is completely unrelated to how much we want to change in the patches. if we want to be conservative, then we can just make only tiny changes and thats it, and your buildorders are not ruined.

also its worth mentioning that you can change an awful lot and not ruin buildorders, as experience shows, but thats beside the point.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby SC-Account » 25 Sep 2016, 19:46

Sheeo wrote:Seems like this is something we need a community vote about.

That being said... The nazi-references don't come out of the blue sky.

Nobody likes nazi references.

Nazi references are worse than Hitler!
SC-Account
Evaluator

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 77 times
FAF User Name: Tnuoccacs

Postby Morax » 26 Sep 2016, 16:45

EVERYONE WAS ON VACATION

Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Evildrew » 05 Jun 2017, 00:50

Almost 1 year has past since Heartler offered the community his services to help make FAF great again. Since then, the game has deteriorated much in terms of the parity of the differing strategies and the number of overall viable strategies. It has become very monotone in my opinion.

Despite BH's knowledge and commitment towards the game he was dismissed by the zockis who keep making changes every time an issue is identified (ex. "oh, I got beetle sniped because i didnt scout -> beetle snipe OP, 2 slots on transport per beetle" ; "oh, i didnt scout and he com dropped me at 8mins and i couldnt do anything, i didnt scout so i made no PD -> com drop OP, nerf BP and HP on com ; etc etc)
Usually an issue is identified as someone dying to something their standard build is weak against it seems, while their unwillingness to scout or change their own game is never seen as the issue.

Anyhow, I have opposed many of the crap having been pushed since August 2016 as have others, ACU nerfs, auto OC, auto toggling on cybran maa, cybran cruiser, recently the mml reworks to make them all have the same effectiveness (to nerf cybran i assume) and many more.

There has come a point in time where enough is enough.

We need Blackheart as balance councilor, now so we can MAKE FAF great again!
Evildrew

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 36 times
FAF User Name: Evildrew

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Jun 2017, 01:22

Evildrew wrote:Almost 1 year has past since Heartler offered the community his services to help make FAF great again. Since then, the game has deteriorated much in terms of the parity of the differing strategies and the number of overall viable strategies. It has become very monotone in my opinion.

Despite BH's knowledge and commitment towards the game he was dismissed by the zockis who keep making changes every time an issue is identified (ex. "oh, I got beetle sniped because i didnt scout -> beetle snipe OP, 2 slots on transport per beetle" ; "oh, i didnt scout and he com dropped me at 8mins and i couldnt do anything, i didnt scout so i made no PD -> com drop OP, nerf BP and HP on com ; etc etc)
Usually an issue is identified as someone dying to something their standard build is weak against it seems, while their unwillingness to scout or change their own game is never seen as the issue.

Anyhow, I have opposed many of the crap having been pushed since August 2016 as have others, ACU nerfs, auto OC, auto toggling on cybran maa, cybran cruiser, recently the mml reworks to make them all have the same effectiveness (to nerf cybran i assume) and many more.

There has come a point in time where enough is enough.

You play Dual Gap and The Pass for, like, 85% of your games. The Dual Gap meta a year ago was the same cancer nuke rush that it is today. The only difference is that you no longer do a cheese firebeetle snipe against an 800 that has no idea how to counter it. The Pass is.... The Pass. I don't think meta has changed for it since 2012. I guess the water one might be different?

The buildpower nerf and the HP nerf had more to do with people getting it rather than gun for rambo acus. Why bother getting gun when you can quickly put up t2 pd with a ton of extra hp? You aren't part of the balance team yet you make broad and definite statements about how and why they made decisions. Got any proof that the reason these changes go through is because Jagged + company are salty at dying? Or that Zock nerfed firebeetles because he kept dying to them? Or maybe there is a secret group of people that indirectly control the balance team and force them to make these changes to make their builds better, like [e]. Oh, wait, Tokyto was like the only person to use firebeetles.... hm...... It's probably Gorton's fault tbh.

See you in 6 months when you're still mad.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Farmsletje » 05 Jun 2017, 01:25

Evildrew wrote:Usually an issue is identified as someone dying to something their standard build is weak against it seems

No
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 05 Jun 2017, 01:45

Nice necro,
briang wrote:what groundbreaking thoughts must it contain...
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby nine2 » 05 Jun 2017, 01:51

Blackheart has shown that he is not in this for the long haul. I think there is no place for that on the Council.

I don't agree with everything that has happened but I one this is for sure: the current team is dedicated and consistent and endure all the bullshit.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 05 Jun 2017, 02:10

Evildrew wrote:There has come a point in time where enough is enough.

It has. Your posts are polemic, usually offensive and most certainly full of fallacies. Your rhetoric and fact twisting is poison.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion