Titans: For Sparta!!

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Titans: For Sparta!!

Postby ladderff » 15 Mar 2017, 00:41

I would like to see this unit used more and I am not sure it has to be anything so drastic. The unit is described as a fast raiding bot, so let's give it stuff that makes raiding soft targets easier and less micro intensive than other means. I would:

* Give it radar, land scout radius or even somewhat larger
* Give it a harbie-like reclaim ability

Optionally (not necessarily all of these):
* Stealth
* Slight speed increase
* Slight cost reduction

That way your raid requires nothing more than throwing two to four of these in a transport and off you go. Dont need to find a scout and engys to go with it. A raid is way better when you dont leave tje reclaim there for your enemy.

I think this woukd take the Titan from never-used to seldom-used and it would not.raise any of the objections people usually have about buffing this unit. It would still be a crap mainline fighter, would still not be really anything like the harbie. It would be strong enough to deal.with a t1 pd or a handful.of lower tech units and would basically not need to be microed. It would be also a sort of 't3 land scout' which I think is a cool idea.
ladderff
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ladderff

Postby Endranii » 15 Mar 2017, 16:26

Just an idea, but what about making a "siege mode" for it that would trade part of it's mobility for constant shield regen while the shield is still online? Making it more durable in direct fight but still capable of running around the battlefield like the cybran counter part? And yes it won't matter much when fighting against bigger force as the DP's will still chew through them like hot knife through butter but it will make them more capable in the early t3 rush giving it ability to stay longer in fight against small enemy forces or 1v1 scenarios.
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby sasin » 20 Mar 2017, 19:14

I STRONGLY agree with the original idea in this post. You may have seen my rants and rambles elsewhere about elegant unit design, and I won't repeat them here entirely. Just want to say that part of good design and fun gameplay is giving units a unique feel, intuitive design (they are good at what they seem like they should be good at), and making them exciting to use in some way. Also, I think faf could use more interesting dynamics between individual units.

Making titans more similar to loyalists is obviously an easier way to balance them, but much worse design. I'd love to emphasize what makes them good to the point they aren't horrible.

I don't think it is too radical for standard. They are barely ever built in standard, as far as I know, and UEF isn't particularly strong.

In general, though, I feel like starting with much more gradual changes and then ramping them up if necessary is preferable to dramatic changes. That way you can find the sweet spot. I think we could start by lowering the range to 18 and increasing the dps by ~40% (rate of fire of 4.25 would do the trick). I also like some firing randomness on it since it's this rapid fire cannon... it seems like it should be a tad inaccurate (it also helps it against massively grouped lower tech units and hurts it against individual higher tech units, which seems to fit with the units strengths). I believe it will already be damn useful at that point, but if it proves not, then we could push the dps higher.

Honestly, this seems like it should be way less controversial than the factory changes, and I'd love to see if in the next patch.
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 20 Apr 2017, 18:44

You say that suicide Titans are not UEF philosophy. Well, are tanky units cybran philosophy? Their Bricks and Megaliths are VEEERY tanky. So tanky that they crush tanks (get it?). By now, all factions have some units that don't exactly fit their philisophy. Maybe it's time to give UEF a suicide siege bot?

I'll fiddle with the idea in spare time...
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby zeroAPM » 21 Apr 2017, 00:44

Still holding "my" idea for a T3 Mongoose with less machinegun range.
That or make them able to fire from transports and bail out intact and combat ready (ie. with shield) if the transport is destroyed (jet parachutes anyone?)

That last one could be cool, fragile and not too strong yet the perfect unit for drops since the transport getting shot down would merely means they have to run to the target.
zeroAPM
Priest

Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby FtXCommando » 21 Apr 2017, 02:09

zeroAPM wrote:Still holding "my" idea for a T3 Mongoose with less machinegun range.
That or make them able to fire from transports and bail out intact and combat ready (ie. with shield) if the transport is destroyed (jet parachutes anyone?)

That last one could be cool, fragile and not too strong yet the perfect unit for drops since the transport getting shot down would merely means they have to run to the target.

Sounds like a ghetto with no risk attached to it.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby zeroAPM » 21 Apr 2017, 13:04

The fact they have el cheapo t2 units stats with a t3 price tag helps.
Maybe the shields are off when disembarked?
zeroAPM
Priest

Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Iszh » 21 Apr 2017, 14:34

Titans with rocket launchers and splash damage!

Leave the low range but add dps and a splash weapon like mongoose, thats a raiding unit :D

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9603&hilit=if+you+come+titans

This topic is following the titans for so many years and never anybody thought about doing really a change .....
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby sasin » 27 Apr 2017, 21:23

Iszh wrote:Titans with rocket launchers and splash damage!

Leave the low range but add dps and a splash weapon like mongoose, thats a raiding unit :D

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9603&hilit=if+you+come+titans

This topic is following the titans for so many years and never anybody thought about doing really a change .....

I like having the MML, that makes sense if it's easy to do. A little bit of AA could be cute too. This crazy all-arounder unit. I don't think that has to conflict with the OP's idea which I supported with more concrete, gradual numbers. They could combine for a really interesting unit, that either stays really far away and MMLs shit, or yolo charges straight in to utilize it's super low range main gun.

To me, the OP changes are still the most interesting priority, but yeah, no reason not to do both! Let's do it!
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Apr 2017, 03:20

I just thought of this today:
Since we have Loyalist with longer range and stun who can, theoretically, kite Titan with no trouble due to its range advantage, maybe do...
1) Add range to titan, take it from loyalist. Increase loyalist's speed by 0.5 so it'd go more with cybran philosophy of getting close and personal.
2) Add speed to titan, making it a close range unit.
3) Implement my mod which balances Titan and loyalist to the point where their only difference is the fact that Titan has a shield and loyalist has a TMD. This is probably going to be the least desired option but it can be implemented as a temporary fix while a better solution is being worked out.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion