Seraphim sonar thoughts

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Seraphim sonar thoughts

Postby KeyBlue » 09 Jul 2016, 23:59

vongratz wrote:
zolikk wrote:

Sorry, but this is a ship, with speed of 5.

The best idea to change something would be one with submersing capability cited above.

All T3 sonars are ships.
FAF Database even shows that UEF T3 sonar wins against a tigershark.
http://www.faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.php?bp=UAS0305,URS0305,UES0305,UES0203,XSB3202
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby zolikk » 10 Jul 2016, 00:29

vongratz wrote:Sorry, but this is a ship, with speed of 5.

The best idea to change something would be one with submersing capability cited above.

Other T3 Sonars have a speed of 4.5. The Cybran is by far the most useful, ability-wise, with a stealth field.

Yeah, we could just make Sera Sonars work like other factions... T2 becomes identical to other factions' T2 Sonar, and we make T3 Sonar submerge as a "special ability". But that doesn't seem very useful in end game, plus a little boring "solution". And Cybran Sonar would still be by far the best. Why not give some other use for this potential unit? Assuming it doesn't break balance. 350 range is already really good for a mobile Sonar anyway. If you move them with your navy, it's more than enough. Let's be honest, it's not the lack of T3 sonar that's making Sera lacking in naval performance overall. Cheaper extra TML can make those mobile shields last longer.
zolikk
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Zock » 11 Jul 2016, 16:12

There need to be very good reasons to add new units to the game. The sera sonar question is not big enough to warrant making a new unit for them, and if change is required, there are other options that don't need a new unit. So no t3 sonar. Moving t2 sonar or other solutions can be discussed, but I believe the idea of gpg when they didn't make a t3 sonar was that the bigger range is compensation enough.

Any proposal should aim to be an advantage for sera in some situations and a disadvantage in others. If the t2 sonar could move, it would need to get less range. And there were discussions to make t3 sonar not able to move anymore either, which would make the current sera range advantage more meaningful too.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby vongratz » 11 Jul 2016, 16:58

Zock wrote:There need to be very good reasons to add new units to the game. The sera sonar question is not big enough to warrant making a new unit for them, and if change is required, there are other options that don't need a new unit. So no t3 sonar. Moving t2 sonar or other solutions can be discussed, but I believe the idea of gpg when they didn't make a t3 sonar was that the bigger range is compensation enough.

Any proposal should aim to be an advantage for sera in some situations and a disadvantage in others. If the t2 sonar could move, it would need to get less range. And there were discussions to make t3 sonar not able to move anymore either, which would make the current sera range advantage more meaningful too.

Ups, you are right, I knew that the sonars are mobile, but never realized the speed of these !!!
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TheKoopa » 11 Jul 2016, 17:26

But having more range than other t2 sonar is hardly an advantage. T3 sonars come out extremely early, have a big range, and are mobile so you can get the necessary intel in a location away from base.

Sera t2 sonar is indeed broken and doesn't leave them with a lot of options for late game navy intel gathering. So, there are 2 ways to "fix" this:

1) make the sera t2 sonar mobile
2) Double (or increase in some way) the range of the sera t2 navy

Zock wrote: And there were discussions to make t3 sonar not able to move anymore either, which would make the current sera range advantage more meaningful too.

Zock, ever heard of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby ZLO_RD » 11 Jul 2016, 19:51

Id suggest making it better in any way, or in every way better than other sonars BUT NOT MOBILE, I guess that is just my opinion... could maybe make it being underwater/more hp/less power drain
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Mycen » 11 Jul 2016, 20:15

Zock wrote:There need to be very good reasons to add new units to the game. The sera sonar question is not big enough to warrant making a new unit for them, and if change is required, there are other options that don't need a new unit. So no t3 sonar. Moving t2 sonar or other solutions can be discussed, but I believe the idea of gpg when they didn't make a t3 sonar was that the bigger range is compensation enough.

The bad Seraphim sonar also used to help balance out how powerful T3 sub hunters were. With aggressive use of torp bombers you could limit Sera naval intel. Now that Yathsous aren't particularly good, it wouldn't be unreasonable to address their sonar.

What if the Seraphim Sonar had radar/sonar stealth and was submerged? Kind of a naval version of a Selen. Even better if it was recognized as a unit, not a structure, so that once scouted it could 'disappear' again.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby zolikk » 11 Jul 2016, 21:58

Zock wrote:Moving t2 sonar or other solutions can be discussed, but I believe the idea of gpg when they didn't make a t3 sonar was that the bigger range is compensation enough.

I wonder why they didn't just make Sera sonar hierarchy the same as the other factions, though...
zolikk
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time

Postby crispyambulance » 13 Jul 2016, 22:50

Zock, I thought the same thing about the original decision, that the increased range at T2 would be compensation enough. It took playing nearly 100 joe-level games as Sera navy, but I got disabused of that notion. I have been shocked by the nearly unanimous support for my position

The issue is the lack of mobility more than anything else, at least as long as the other factions have mobility.

Simply making the T2 sonar mobile and submersible would be an interesting solution that creates parity, preserves diversity and doesn't require adding a unit. Sera would sacrifice intel radius to make their sonar harder to kill than other factions.
crispyambulance
Crusader

Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: crispyambulance

Postby ax0lotl » 14 Jul 2016, 08:42

I'm for faction diversity, so also for limitations on units. The range already is T2,5. T2,5 units fit with Sera, I'd say. (Why not make the sera gunship T2,5?)
Making T2 sonar mobile would make it too good. As I understand the T3 sonars will be made more expensive anyway, that would make the sera T2 sonar relatively better.
Making the Sera T2 sonar submersed might be a nice idea.
ax0lotl

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: ax0lotl

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion