Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent

Postby biass » 20 Jun 2016, 15:33

this whole thread

Also i noticed you renamed your title to avoid meme spam, well...
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Aeon T3 Missile Ship Torrent, who uses them and why?

Postby crispyambulance » 21 Jun 2016, 00:50

Ithilis_Quo wrote:This is opinion base on ideal and ilusion of the mind. Cruisers busting turrtle much better as torrent. http://recordit.co/Ocr2GRRYjL If you dont agree then deliver own explanation with video proof.

So how does this sandbox turn out if you compare 8k mass in cruisers to 1 torrent, as opposed to 16k?
crispyambulance
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: crispyambulance

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 21 Jun 2016, 00:57

crispyambulance wrote:So how does this sandbox turn out if you compare 8k mass in cruisers to 1 torrent, as opposed to 16k?

it was 2 torrent you see it on number of missiles vs 8 cruisers (same mass) lower tech
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby crispyambulance » 21 Jun 2016, 20:43

Ohhhh, the torrents were on top of each other until the end.

That's an interesting sandbox, but I wonder if it really matters. The whole thing with Supcom is that each higher tech level is less mass efficient than the previous, but I don't think it's an issue because as a game gets late there's so much reclaim everywhere that it's a struggle to use it all. And I think that's how the game was conceptualized. If your only possible target was one compressed base that's easy to cover in TMD, you wouldn't use any of the boats in that sandbox to assault it because none of them are mass efficient against TMD.
crispyambulance
Crusader

Postby TheKoopa » 21 Jun 2016, 21:41

crispyambulance wrote:Ohhhh, the torrents were on top of each other until the end.

That's an interesting sandbox, but I wonder if it really matters. The whole thing with Supcom is that each higher tech level is less mass efficient than the previous, but I don't think it's an issue because as a game gets late there's so much reclaim everywhere that it's a struggle to use it all. And I think that's how the game was conceptualized. If your only possible target was one compressed base that's easy to cover in TMD, you wouldn't use any of the boats in that sandbox to assault it because none of them are mass efficient against TMD.

That's how the game is balanced. Higher tier units are less mass effecienct but are more microable and their build time per mass is far less than lower tier units.

That's also why I don't really like Ithilis's eq changes.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby crispyambulance » 21 Jun 2016, 23:09

I think that could be a valid way to design the game. I'm not sure if it is an improvement since I haven't played Equilibrium at all. I do know the FAF we have is the best RTS ever even with its faults.

A misconception by the people saying there's a problem with the torrent though is that its role is attacking heavily fortified positions. If you think this is its role, its effectiveness per mass correctly seems absolutely awful, and it is. It can be useful in this area when direct-fire boats can take out TMD, but even then only for taking out an SMD or HQ, etc.

This boat's actual role is attacking spread out, lightly defended positions and resources, and after that it's useful for controlling that territory. The range makes up for the lack of mass efficiency for this role.
crispyambulance
Crusader

Postby Mel_Gibson » 21 Jun 2016, 23:40

crispyambulance wrote:A misconception by the people saying there's a problem with the torrent though is that its role is attacking heavily fortified positions. If you think this is its role, its effectiveness per mass correctly seems absolutely awful, and it is.

I think this is a misconception. A torrent is for life. One does not simply lose a torrent. Although it says 15000hp nobody has ever sunk one, it is actually invincible and will provide you dps for the entire game. A monkeylord in many cases however, is a lovely prepackaged 19,000 mass delivery to you opponent in exchange for a couple of dead t2 pd and excess gunships. A torrent will never show you such disloyalty if nurture and cherish him. After caressing your torrent into position the feeling when it sprays its loads all over the place is really quite indescribably blissful.

Torrent is clearly the most mass efficient unit in the game.
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby biass » 22 Jun 2016, 00:20

Why would you build Aeon missile ships to bombard instead of aeon cruisers?

Why, im not sure..
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 22 Jun 2016, 00:22

biass wrote:
Why would you build Aeon missile ships to bombard instead of aeon cruisers?

Why, im not sure..
Probably for the same reason that you don't use Frigates to shoot Submarines.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Viba » 22 Jun 2016, 01:03

Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion