Lab Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Lab Balance

Postby Hawkei » 18 Jun 2016, 05:43

Mycen wrote:Make them not provide any veterancy. Then they can be proper cannon fodder.

Actually, this is an incredibly good idea.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Jun 2016, 23:43

When will lab have 0,05 more speed then its much higer buf as be build for one less second.
After 20seconds =80 range is on same distance, as when is build one sec faster. When reach enemy base what should be about 8000r differences is much more marcant. 0.05speed is basicly nothing, and still more as this buff.

This will not help Labs to be usefull. In any way, it is jast random humble dumle lest watch what happend change. Nothing will happen.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Morax » 20 Jun 2016, 21:15

Played only a few games with labs against yorick and the effect was quite high... He took out a number of engineers with his first bomber yet I was able to retaliate thanks to the speed and deployment of labs to take out his that rolled off the air fact.

It seems the weakened bomber and lab buff works well together and provides a way to counter early bomber rushes.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 21 Jun 2016, 00:45

Morax wrote:Played only a few games with labs against yorick and the effect was quite high

placebo effect :D

1sec more = 4range differences in distance, did you know how tiny it is?
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby ZLO_RD » 21 Jun 2016, 00:49

Sera only faction that does not have labs and they also have worst t1 tank against labs. I like idea about labs not giving veteranicy, but it is a bit weird still, tank that killed 3 labs does deserve a vet level... if labs do not give vet... should scouts do? Snoops can kill other scouts and radars pretty well and they should get vet for killing other scouts xD
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Morax » 21 Jun 2016, 01:51

Ithilis_Quo wrote:
Morax wrote:Played only a few games with labs against yorick and the effect was quite high

placebo effect :D

1sec more = 4range differences in distance, did you know how tiny it is?

When try-harding goes full try-hard 1 sec or 4 range makes or breaks a game in many situations, did you know?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Mycen » 22 Jun 2016, 04:27

ZLO_RD wrote:I like idea about labs not giving veteranicy, but it is a bit weird still, tank that killed 3 labs does deserve a vet level... if labs do not give vet... should scouts do? Snoops can kill other scouts and radars pretty well and they should get vet for killing other scouts xD

I threw that idea out because I think it would be interesting, but I've never actually tried it...

I think it would be a pretty significant change at T1 - if you couldn't collect veterancy from them, labs could become quite powerful against an acu. I don't think the veterancy would really matter a lot for other T1 units though - tanks may deserve veterancy from labs, but it generally isn't all that useful - you have be microing really hard to squeeze utility out of the extra one or two shot's worth of hp you get, and once you get more than a few units it isn't really important. But that would be another example of how this change could be pretty far-reaching.

Of course scouts should still give vet - everything else except labs.

At other tech levels I do wonder - I know with certain units it might be really effective at drawing fire - percivals, megaliths, ravagers, T3 arty, etc. come to mind. I also wonder how effective they would actually be at putting damage on a large target. Like so much else though, pathfinding issues might render the whole thing moot anyway.

ZLO_RD wrote:Sera only faction that does not have labs and they also have worst t1 tank against labs.

Sera are trash and deserve to die. 8-)

More seriously though, it's hard to make labs useful when they're so different across factions.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby Hawkei » 22 Jun 2016, 05:09

Mycen wrote:
ZLO_RD wrote:I like idea about labs not giving veteranicy, but it is a bit weird still, tank that killed 3 labs does deserve a vet level... if labs do not give vet... should scouts do? Snoops can kill other scouts and radars pretty well and they should get vet for killing other scouts xD

I threw that idea out because I think it would be interesting, but I've never actually tried it...

I think it would be a pretty significant change at T1 - if you couldn't collect veterancy from them, labs could become quite powerful against an acu. I don't think the veterancy would really matter a lot for other T1 units though - tanks may deserve veterancy from labs, but it generally isn't all that useful - you have be microing really hard to squeeze utility out of the extra one or two shot's worth of hp you get, and once you get more than a few units it isn't really important. But that would be another example of how this change could be pretty far-reaching.

Of course scouts should still give vet - everything else except labs.

At other tech levels I do wonder - I know with certain units it might be really effective at drawing fire - percivals, megaliths, ravagers, T3 arty, etc. come to mind. I also wonder how effective they would actually be at putting damage on a large target. Like so much else though, pathfinding issues might render the whole thing moot anyway.

ZLO_RD wrote:Sera only faction that does not have labs and they also have worst t1 tank against labs.

Sera are trash and deserve to die. 8-)

More seriously though, it's hard to make labs useful when they're so different across factions.

Well LAB's still receive vet - and this can sometimes be very useful. Happens rarely, but I have noted those fortunate LAB teams who make a run-by on Setons. With 12 and 25 kills to their name. When the veterancy kicks in on a LAB they can get real nasty.

As for LAB giving vet to other units. I still think it should give veterancy. But with something like a 0.25 or 0.5 modifier, when compared with other T1 units.

Though while we are on the topic of veterancy, let us spare a thought for the poor Absolver. With such weak DPS vs. health this unit stands a poor chance of making any kills or gaining veterancy.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby biass » 22 Jun 2016, 05:21

Hawkei wrote:Though while we are on the topic of veterancy, let us spare a thought for the poor Absolver. With such weak DPS vs. health this unit stands a poor chance of making any kills or gaining veterancy.

Eh, never used it for killing :D
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 22 Jun 2016, 08:00

biass wrote:
Hawkei wrote:Though while we are on the topic of veterancy, let us spare a thought for the poor Absolver. With such weak DPS vs. health this unit stands a poor chance of making any kills or gaining veterancy.

Eh, never used it for killing :D

Well I have actually killed stuff with it. Once the shields have been taken down the Absolvers can plink away at the units underneath. I have been known to get the occasional Shield Generator, or Omni Sensor kill with them. ;)
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion