Fix the other factions and not Cybran!

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Postby Kalvirox » 10 Jun 2016, 22:41

So, as you can evidently see, the two main discussions in this forum thread are on the same thing.
Cybran are OP.
Whilst I understand the viewpoint. I would argue that the problem actually lies with every other faction.

I would argue that Cybran are not "OP" in of themselves, but rather that they are strong in every respect and so are the most diverse faction as they have all the right strengths in the majority of the right places.

So, rather than nerfing Cybran, why not buff everyone else... It solves the problem whilst also allowing for other factions to be played differently. Making the game more fun.

I had a discussion with Zock about this way back. I don't remember much of it but he basically won the discussion (as to be expected, I am not the most articulate or intelligent of people), but I still stand by this viewpoint.

Discuss!
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Re: Fix the other factions and not Cybran!

Postby Mot » 10 Jun 2016, 23:22

All is fine as long as each faction stays true to itself. Nothing should be like cybran but cybran itself.
No clue if its healthy to make the aurora, t2 chicken and percival stronger so that each dominates cybran in each of those phases or removing t3 siege tanks, striker and obsidian range, speed or whatever shortcommings?

Could ofc try to implement a rock paper sizzor setup but balance is already horrid to figure out.

Difficult and I doubt there will ever be a solution that will satisfy everyone.
Mot

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby Um ZiniZini » 11 Jun 2016, 14:29

I agree with kalvirox, Cybran is very versatile, this might seem like a ridiculous backing up argument but out of many many phantom games they are by far the best faction to choose from, you have corsairs(best t2 air in my view point), you have t2 cyb destroyers( they are most convenient and easy to use as comparison to other destroyers), easy to use monkeylord with stealth. The thing is they are a easy race to mass one unit type quickly and win with it, their navy feels are better for me as well vs uef's, coopers are nice but they get owned by destroyers at a distance and the subs comes for your battleships and so forth. It would be nice if they buff the other factions without altering their style too much.
Um ZiniZini

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: UmZiniZini

Postby ZLO_RD » 11 Jun 2016, 16:56

that is good idea... but well... generally we can fix anything as long as it increases divercity
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Hawkei » 12 Jun 2016, 05:02

That's how we got this problem in the first place
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Kalvirox » 12 Jun 2016, 12:26

Hawkei wrote:That's how we got this problem in the first place

Not really, no.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Postby Hawkei » 12 Jun 2016, 17:10

Kalvirox wrote:
Hawkei wrote:That's how we got this problem in the first place

Not really, no.

Feel free to backup your claims at any time. Why shouldn't Cybran be nerfed? It is all this talk of maintaining obvious imbalance, in the name of faction diversity, which gets things into this state. Why are you so afraid of the nerf bat? Didn't you see this coming?
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Kalvirox » 12 Jun 2016, 19:40

Hawkei wrote:Feel free to backup your claims at any time. Why shouldn't Cybran be nerfed? It is all this talk of maintaining obvious imbalance, in the name of faction diversity, which gets things into this state. Why are you so afraid of the nerf bat? Didn't you see this coming?

You make it sound like faction diversity is a bad thing. Cybran shouldn't be nerfed because you tunnelvision the strategies that are open too them. Which makes the game less fun, just look at aeon where you are pretty much forced into harb rushing on most maps or uef and phim where there are very few options available too you. Cybran doesn't need the nerf, the other factions need a buff to make them more fun to play. Otherwise there are going to be stuck on limited strategy options for each of the factions and it will get boring.

Its not just faction diversity, its strategy diversity. Cybran are the most played because they are the strongest all round and so you can do many different strategies with them compared to the other factions (hence why they are considered OP).

There are many things than can be changed to make this game more fun. Nerfing things into oblivion is not one of them.
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Postby TheKoopa » 13 Jun 2016, 16:44

Kalvirox wrote:
Hawkei wrote:Feel free to backup your claims at any time. Why shouldn't Cybran be nerfed? It is all this talk of maintaining obvious imbalance, in the name of faction diversity, which gets things into this state. Why are you so afraid of the nerf bat? Didn't you see this coming?

You make it sound like faction diversity is a bad thing. Cybran shouldn't be nerfed because you tunnelvision the strategies that are open too them. Which makes the game less fun, just look at aeon where you are pretty much forced into harb rushing on most maps or uef and phim where there are very few options available too you. Cybran doesn't need the nerf, the other factions need a buff to make them more fun to play. Otherwise there are going to be stuck on limited strategy options for each of the factions and it will get boring.

Its not just faction diversity, its strategy diversity. Cybran are the most played because they are the strongest all round and so you can do many different strategies with them compared to the other factions (hence why they are considered OP).

There are many things than can be changed to make this game more fun. Nerfing things into oblivion is not one of them.

When were you forced to go harby? People do harby rush because it is more effecient than opsidian spam (which IS a good option, just not as good as harby)
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Kalvirox » 13 Jun 2016, 18:15

TheKoopa wrote:When were you forced to go harby? People do harby rush because it is more effecient than opsidian spam (which IS a good option, just not as good as harby)

You seem to have answered your own question there. Granted, obsidian spam is probably better when it comes to tight, choke point maps.. but even then I would rather go harbies for the drops. Particularly when you can get harbs at 11:30 mins when most t2 spams take another few mins to get going. Which is currently one of the problems for dealing with the t3 rush.
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Next

Return to Balance Discussion