Submarine Balance

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Submarine Balance

Postby Mel_Gibson » 09 Jun 2016, 14:13

Naval balance is by far my favourite part of FAF. I'm therefore all in favour of completely changing it.

Now, what else can we wreck?
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby Astrofoo » 09 Jun 2016, 15:26

I think the easiest and best solution to this "problem" is just to buff t1 sub damage slightly, and remove torpedoes from all Destroyers except for Seraphim.(Since they have no t2 sub equivalent.) However, keep the torpedo defense on Destroyers, maybe even buffing it just slightly. We can take UEF Navy balance as example of this already working. The Valiant Destroyer's torpedoes suck so you have to mix in Coopers. Now imagine if every faction had to do that. We could even see a situation where players make mostly frigates but mix in some t1 subs and use those to slowly counter destros until they get their t2 up. Obviously other destroyers are the best way to go, but it seems odd and unintuitive for newer players that submarines, which are supposed to have good torpedoes otherwise what's the point, are terrible at killing things with their torpedoes. This will create a situation where a more well rounded mix in navy is required. However, destroyers should still be better than subs overall which is why I think they should keep their torpedo defense. So basically navy balance looks like this:

Frigates: Meat shields/extra close range brawl damage; remain mostly unaffected
T1 Subs: Slightly better at killing frigs and destroyers because neither can shoot back(if we buff their damage this effect is magnified as much or as little as we want)
Destroyers: Still king of the sea, good at killing frigs and other destroyers/crusiers/main melee unit of big naval battles/slightly worse against subs(Can't shoot back but still have torp def)
Cruisers: Unaffected
T2 Subs: Large buff/now effective against groups of destroyers in groups themselves but will still lose mass to mass due to torp def and higher health on destroyers. HOWEVER, you are forced to make some kind of anti submarine unit. I.E. T2 subs of your own, or torpedo bombers if you have air

In summary:
Any addition to variety of unit compositions is a good change in my humble opinion. This prevents a player from just spamming Destroyers all day err day. If a player does that, I'll make about 5 t2 subs and watch as his destroyer fleet slowly disappears to a foe he can't attack unless he makes subs of his own.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby Hawkei » 09 Jun 2016, 16:04

Swol wrote:Naval balance is by far my favourite part of FAF. I'm therefore all in favour of completely changing it.

Now, what else can we wreck?

I'm not wrecking anything :D ... You don't seem to understand that it's me who's making the change here. You can easily examine the changes by downloading and playing with the mod.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Morax » 09 Jun 2016, 18:24

Astrofoo wrote:I think the easiest and best solution to this "problem" is just to buff t1 sub damage slightly, and remove torpedoes from all Destroyers except for Seraphim.(Since they have no t2 sub equivalent.) However, keep the torpedo defense on Destroyers, maybe even buffing it just slightly. We can take UEF Navy balance as example of this already working. The Valiant Destroyer's torpedoes suck so you have to mix in Coopers. Now imagine if every faction had to do that. We could even see a situation where players make mostly frigates but mix in some t1 subs and use those to slowly counter destros until they get their t2 up. Obviously other destroyers are the best way to go, but it seems odd and unintuitive for newer players that submarines, which are supposed to have good torpedoes otherwise what's the point, are terrible at killing things with their torpedoes. This will create a situation where a more well rounded mix in navy is required. However, destroyers should still be better than subs overall which is why I think they should keep their torpedo defense. So basically navy balance looks like this:

Frigates: Meat shields/extra close range brawl damage; remain mostly unaffected
T1 Subs: Slightly better at killing frigs and destroyers because neither can shoot back(if we buff their damage this effect is magnified as much or as little as we want)
Destroyers: Still king of the sea, good at killing frigs and other destroyers/crusiers/main melee unit of big naval battles/slightly worse against subs(Can't shoot back but still have torp def)
Cruisers: Unaffected
T2 Subs: Large buff/now effective against groups of destroyers in groups themselves but will still lose mass to mass due to torp def and higher health on destroyers. HOWEVER, you are forced to make some kind of anti submarine unit. I.E. T2 subs of your own, or torpedo bombers if you have air

In summary:
Any addition to variety of unit compositions is a good change in my humble opinion. This prevents a player from just spamming Destroyers all day err day. If a player does that, I'll make about 5 t2 subs and watch as his destroyer fleet slowly disappears to a foe he can't attack unless he makes subs of his own.

I have to say, any buff to a sub's dps is going to dramatically change the game play where comms can walk in and out of water like on Saltrock Colony, Eye of the Storm, Roanoake, etc. I'm not in favor of doing this at all.

As for the navy composition portion, you can still effectively toss in t1 subs with frigates to attack destroyers. If you take out the destroyers in the group and only frigates are left for your enemy, you can withdraw your own frigates and let the subs kill them (ace move, really). This is something you'd see in VERY large naval engagements, but it's not useless to add t1 subs to the mix just because destroyers are out there.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Hawkei » 14 Jun 2016, 08:39

Astrofoo wrote:I think the easiest and best solution to this "problem" is just to buff t1 sub damage slightly,

Submarine DPS is a very carefully balanced equation. Too much and you end up with the T1 sub spam which was Vanilla SC. To little and you have Destroyer dominance which we see in the current FAF. You probably don't recall, but T1 subs in the vanilla game were lethal against ACU's underwater.

Now, one approach for submarines which benefits their role as a raiding unit is not to change DPS but change frontloading instead. If you give submarines the same DPS, but increase the torpedo damage and reload time you get a very interesting hit and run style unit. It would however make the unit worse for killing T1 engineers - which is it's primary purpose ATM.

Another thing you will notice about the T1 sub is that it's DPS is far superior to higher tech levels - and it only looses because of it's inferior range. A viable tactic is mixing T1 and T2 subs, to get the combination of DPS and anti-torp protection. In large numbers, and up close, T1 subs can do a lot of damage.

Now, the purpose of the original mod was to experiment with the intel landscape. In my mod, Destroyers still win vs. Submarines, but, the Submarines can hide a lot better. While at the same time, other ships are made less capable of detecting the submarine. In my mod, the Destroyer is a vital Sub denial tool, but it's role is now fleet protection. It is no longer single handedly capable of chasing down and killing submarines.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Apofenas » 14 Jun 2016, 11:38

Even if destroyer is less efficient at torp fight, it will still be far more viable due to direct fire (and AA) weapons so it can deal damage to enemy eco or finish amphibious unit.

Changing front loading doesn't look a good idea to me. Basicly you will need to increace reload time and increace amount of damage of each torp or amount of torps in fire circle. In both cases UEF/Cybran torp defence become awfully stronger than Aeon/Sera due to their concept.

Balancing subs around destroyers is also funny thing when Valiant has rubbish torps, Exodus is OP agaisnt subs and Uashavoh replaces t2 sub itself.

It's not only the range which makes t1 subs bad. Subs are generally a paper, but t2 and t3 have good torp defence(+stealth) and that boosts their survivability so they can match destroyers...exept aeon which is known to ignore td.

I wish game had a concept of underwater eco apart from underwater mexes without storages and hydro which highly depend on map and RAS SCUs.

Personally i dislike giving stealth to non-cybran faction, but i wonder how it would work if stealth was replaced with jammer. You would know there is sub, but don't know where it is and how many of them exactly. Although currently jammer would hide you only untill unit was spotted first time, so it could need some special mode where sub jammer works 10 seconds, turns off, personal stealth blinks for a second and jammer turns again so sub is hidden when out of combat.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Hawkei » 14 Jun 2016, 17:07

Apofenas wrote:...
I wish game had a concept of underwater eco apart from underwater mexes without storages and hydro which highly depend on map and RAS SCUs.

Personally i dislike giving stealth to non-cybran faction, but i wonder how it would work if stealth was replaced with jammer. You would know there is sub, but don't know where it is and how many of them exactly. Although currently jammer would hide you only untill unit was spotted first time, so it could need some special mode where sub jammer works 10 seconds, turns off, personal stealth blinks for a second and jammer turns again so sub is hidden when out of combat.

You make some valid points. The first thing is with regard to naval economy - and this is something which is reflected in combat throughout time. The land has always been the important strategic resource worth controlling, and the sea generally is devoid of resources to be captured. However, the sea has always been important because it has allowed for the ease of transport. Materials necessary for the waging of war have until very recently been much more efficiently conveyed by sea - and this is by far more efficient than doing so over land. Also, the weights can calibre of weaponry on the sea simply cannot be transported by any other means. So controlling the sea has always been a means to an end. Naval combat has always been about power projection onto land - and this is something the game designer got right.

As for stealth on a non-Cybran sub. I should add that the Cybran T3 Gunship has Jamming - and this has always been a UEF tech. So why not have stealth on all subs? Stealth is a basic characteristic of submarine warfare. There were however other suggestions such as making the other subs only stealthed when stationary. Or not have stealth on subs - but instead nerf sonar to give the same effect. Thus giving the T2 and T3 sonar a radar for above water, and a smaller sonar range (but this solution would make air and land targets detectable by the platform).
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Postby Apofenas » 14 Jun 2016, 17:41

Hawkei wrote:As for stealth on a non-Cybran sub. I should add that the Cybran T3 Gunship has Jamming - and this has always been a UEF tech. So why not have stealth on all subs? Stealth is a basic characteristic of submarine warfare. There were however other suggestions such as making the other subs only stealthed when stationary. Or not have stealth on subs - but instead nerf sonar to give the same effect. Thus giving the T2 and T3 sonar a radar for above water, and a smaller sonar range (but this solution would make air and land targets detectable by the platform).

Just because UEF have 3 units with jammer doesn't mean it's UEF tech specificly. Aeon/Seraphim also used it judging by FA campaing. So why the faction that is designed to use intel tricks wouldn't use some different tool apart from stealth? The jamming mechanic is more of a cosmetic in this game rather than anything really usefull.

The suggested jamming concept is practicly same stealth with the exeption that you see the area where unit could be, but you would have to shoot blindly untill you have a direct vision on it.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Hawkei » 14 Jun 2016, 17:55

Apofenas wrote:
Hawkei wrote:As for stealth on a non-Cybran sub. I should add that the Cybran T3 Gunship has Jamming - and this has always been a UEF tech. So why not have stealth on all subs? Stealth is a basic characteristic of submarine warfare. There were however other suggestions such as making the other subs only stealthed when stationary. Or not have stealth on subs - but instead nerf sonar to give the same effect. Thus giving the T2 and T3 sonar a radar for above water, and a smaller sonar range (but this solution would make air and land targets detectable by the platform).

Just because UEF have 3 units with jammer doesn't mean it's UEF tech specificly. Aeon/Seraphim also used it judging by FA campaing. So why the faction that is designed to use intel tricks wouldn't use some different tool apart from stealth? The jamming mechanic is more of a cosmetic in this game rather than anything really usefull.

The suggested jamming concept is practicly same stealth with the exeption that you see the area where unit could be, but you would have to shoot blindly untill you have a direct vision on it.

I say this because it is stated in the Game Handbook. In which it defines massed attacks in concert with radar jamming as a UEF tactic. Also, jammers are usually less effective than stealth - and useless once scouted. The jammers on Sparkies are often nice. They can sometimes completely negate enemy fire - allowing the Sparky to get some extra reclaim where other engineers would not succeed. On other units the jammers can waste those critical opening shots before a battle.

With the sole exception of the Wailer, and the Blue Sky Crystals in the campaign, Jamming is UEF tech.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Postby mirroredwang » 15 Jun 2016, 18:55

we can also nerf underwater vision which is something different from normal vision
mirroredwang

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Topkack

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion