Titan buff

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Titan buff

Postby JaggedAppliance » 17 Nov 2015, 22:33

Everyone knows titans could do with a buff, some hp + dps buff would probably do the trick.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Re: Titan buff

Postby briang » 17 Nov 2015, 22:40

Is giving UEF a decent raiding unit a good idea? Historically that has been their only weakness compared to Aeon and Cybran at T3 stage. I'm open to it but let's take a step back and look at the T3 land balance as a whole before jumping into it.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby keyser » 17 Nov 2015, 23:40

but now we have a useless unit... It's not about the need of a raiding unit i think. I mean run by works well a T1 stage. It's harder at t2 but harder to achieve, because defense are already set up. That's why drop usually come into play at T2 stage.
When you reach T3, defense are super mass effective, some T1 pd can take care of T3 unit like titan and loya. (even T3 tank sometime).

titan and loya are better unit to be drop in back of opponent than brick/percy, because they can inflict damage more faster (they can run from 1 mexx to another faster).
But i think it's not the main (or at least the only goal) goal of these unit.
i can list :
- being a "raid" unit
- allowing to defend some T2 push, with early T3
- being able to deal better with T1/T2 unit than T3 bot
- being able to deal with ACU (especially rambo ACU) more easily.

I already talk about their "raid" task.
about defend T2 push, loya does a good job. About titan, percy does a similar, even better job over titan. And percy are investissement for future, since they will nearly never die against T2 push if good microed (too much health and range). Still titan has lower BT than percy, so you can have your first T3 unit faster. (/!\ BT per mass of percy is better than titan, when there is no urge, it's better to make percy, because you can invest your mass more easily (less BP require))

about the goal to deal against T1/T2 (in general). Titan is better vs T1, that's for sure. As i said, percy does work great against T2. And percy is direct counter to titan/loya.

about the goal to deal with ACU. It's little more tricky here.
1st of all about loya : i think loya is overall better at that task. You lose less at each OC. (having less hp doesn't matter vs OC; and you lose like 1/3 of a brick at his each OC (if not stack)). loya has better dps, and an good ability of stuning ACU that is really usefull.
about titan : titan doesn't have usefull feature like loya (shield rarely being a asset), and less dps and range. In comparaison, percy is arguably better than brick. So it's more interesting to chose percy over titan, that brick over loya. futhermore, brick/percy still has advantage to out range gun com (not easy to take advantage of this always though.).
against aeon rambo, i think going titan is maybe still a better idea than percy, because you can't take advantage of range from percy.

so in the end i think, that reducing BT can be a good way. Maybe adding some change to shield, so you can effectivelly take advantage of it can be a good way too. + a dps/health buff maybe.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby briang » 17 Nov 2015, 23:43

I like the idea of making their shielding have some actual purpose... The build time increase seems like an effective way to have them become more viable to take on T2 when paired with a small DPS buff I think... Given the strength of the Percy I don't think it should be as strong as the loyalist though.
Last edited by briang on 04 Jan 2016, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby TheKoopa » 17 Nov 2015, 23:45

Titan has only one problem: range

It has less range than a fucking T2 tank.

One syrtis I made 7 titans to counter a T2 army and they got raped by something like 15 pillars. Wat?
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby keyser » 17 Nov 2015, 23:50

TheKoopa wrote:Titan has only one problem: range

It has less range than a fucking T2 tank.

One syrtis I made 7 titans to counter a T2 army and they got raped by something like 15 pillars. Wat?

yes the range is an issue too, but we don't want to add too much range to make a 2nd loya. i mean if we can balance out the unit, without touching to it's range it would be great. Having like 3 less range than T2 tank isn't that much an issue because of speed. i mean if we make it good enough to defend against T2, range disadvantage won't be an issue imo.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Resin_Smoker » 18 Nov 2015, 00:27

If not increase the range, dps or HP, then boost the top speed so they can at least get into range.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby IceDreamer » 18 Nov 2015, 00:43

I think the suggestion made for LABs could work here too. Loyalists are fine as they are, a good counterpoint to the Brick, but Titans?

The suggestion was that the point of raiding units is to raid. That is, to attack mexes, pgens, engies. Things, in short, which can't fight back. The reason LABs are underused for this purpose is because they can't do combat well, but they also don't kill things very fast. So we lower HP and raise DPS, keeping all other things the same, such that their combat balance against T1 tanks is unchanged, but their ability to raid their intended targets is enhanced.

This same logic applies perfectly to the Titan IMO. No, it should not ever be able to wage war against T3 units, or even be successful against T2 combat units. It also shouldn't be made a Loyalist clone in design or ability. It should be unique. Lower the HP, raise the DPS, leave everything else the same, and we end up with a unit which is fast enough to get behind lines, as now, but now instead of having all the time in the world to get your ACU to the back of your base to deal with them before they do serious damage, that T3 PGen is smoky bacon and your HQ is toasty fried.

At risk of damaging the legitimacy of the above argument, here's a semi-joke suggestion: We could also allow Titans to fire from transports. T3 Ghetto Gunship just became a REAL thing :D
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Resin_Smoker » 18 Nov 2015, 00:45

Ghetto-Gunships would be interesting to be sure.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby da_monstr » 18 Nov 2015, 04:35

The only time I found a use for Titans was playing against a less-skilled player on Daroza's sanctuary who is spamming mantis. (talk about being super specific, eh?)
Maybe make 1 or 2 if you rush T3 to try and get past enemy's defenses. As it stands, Titans are as useless as UEF ACU nano upgrade.
Like Koopa said, some range wouldn't hurt.
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Next

Return to Balance Discussion