Titan buff

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: Titan buff

Postby Hawkei » 07 Jun 2016, 09:03

turinturambar42 wrote:a very god number to determine the combatstrengh of a unit is (dps/mass)*(HP/mass) it never let me down yet.
idk if the kiting calcutaion is that usefull (ofc its nice to have and very reasonable for e.g. loyalists) but for slower units pathfinding of bigger groups >10 could be a huge issue.
(were the unit numbers in you calculation dicrete or continous?)
The combat strength parameter, which you define is very similar to the combat value in my calculation. In my analysis Combat Value = (DPS1 * HP1) / (DPS2 * HP2) / MassRatio^2. So this is essentially the ratio of combat strength between the two units. With HP1 modified by the closure damage.

The kiting calculation is important when the speeds and ranges are different. As I have made allowance for "free damage" as the shorter ranged unit is forced to close. Something which is further complicated with kiting and micro. If we assume that the longer ranged units are controlled by an intelligent player, then they will run away, and the closing speed will be the difference between the two units. For example. With the Titan vs. Hoplite the standard damage model yields a combat value of 3.48. Which is huge. But if we consider that the Titan has speed = 4 and Hoplite speed = 3.6. The rate of closure is only 0.4, and in the time which it takes the Titan to close from range 37 to 20, 2.4 Hoplites would have completely eliminated the Titan. So kiting makes a big difference to combat value.

For the purposes of my calculation I have assumed continuous unit numbers. Which is represented by a mass ratio modifier. I assume that the Titan is facing it's mass equivalence in other units, and I multiply the enemy DPS and HP by this ratio. For example one Titan would face one Loyalist, 1.62 Rhino or 2.4 Hoplites. This simulation doesn't take account of unit losses and hence deterioration of the enemy teams unit count or DPS over time.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Turinturambar » 07 Jun 2016, 11:07

This simulation doesn't take account of unit losses and hence deterioration of the enemy teams unit count or DPS over time

funnily it does )). you happened to pick just the right constant XDDD.
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

Postby Mephi » 07 Jun 2016, 11:57

maybe close this thread?

25 worthless pages should be enough :mrgreen:
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby Hawkei » 07 Jun 2016, 13:17

Don't argue with stupid. They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby TheKoopa » 07 Jun 2016, 13:25

Yes, this thread has gone on for quite a bit. For sizes sake, if you want to continue the Titan discussion then open a new thread (hawkei has a hail mary of a post btw)

Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Previous

Return to Balance Discussion