T1 Subs

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

T1 Subs

Postby Zeldafanboy » 04 Sep 2015, 01:35

They're generally considered to be crap, but is that true? I actually find once you get a critical mass of them (5 or so), they do very well for themselves

But let's say the general consensus is right and T1 subs are sacks of garbage floating in the water. Is that okay? That would reduce T1 navy to just one unit.

Thoughts? I am aware that the Seraphim T1 sub is bad, but what about the other 3 factions? Should you mix in a few Tigersharks or Slivers in? Go half and half? Or just build the least amount necessary to counter other subs, if they do appear?
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Re: T1 Subs

Postby yeager » 04 Sep 2015, 01:38

Zeldafanboy wrote:They're generally considered to be crap, but is that true? I actually find once you get a critical mass of them (5 or so), they do very well for themselves

But let's say the general consensus is right and T1 subs are sacks of garbage floating in the water. Is that okay? That would reduce T1 navy to just one unit.

Thoughts? I am aware that the Seraphim T1 sub is bad, but what about the other 3 factions? Should you mix in a few Tigersharks or Slivers in? Go half and half? Or just build the least amount necessary to counter other subs, if they do appear?

On ozone I get in the water quick and get 4 factories in the water quick, after that I build fighters and I usually win naval superiority early on, cause by the time they have switch production to counter I have at least taken all the islands
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby Zeldafanboy » 04 Sep 2015, 03:47

briang wrote: T1 subs are good in defense (and in a very limited capacity on offense on a very limited selection of maps

Hm, I would have thought them more offensively based units, since they're the dedicated anti naval unit. I think of them as the interceptors of the sea-- although you could argue interceptors are technically defensive units.

What maps and situations should I use them in?
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby Ceneraii » 04 Sep 2015, 06:18

On maps with underwater mexes they're generally a good bet. Also good vs non-hovering engies (cybran and uef). Although you usually don't wanna go 100% subs.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby Iszh » 04 Sep 2015, 07:40

2 things here:

1.) If you spam t1 subs they have more life and better damage compared to t2 subs for the same mass cost. They will lose because of lower range and speed. They are fine and cant take a main role in a big seabattle as it should be.

2.) If you ever played 1v1 on wilderness or some other map like this you will start to like them. Go in water and only spam subs. Hover factions you can easily stop with undiving them and kill the hover with the surface gun. When ships appear dive and kill the ships. Those subs have higher range over water than frigates. You can kill lots of mexes next to water and attack base. The range is the same like aeon frigate you can even kill t1 pd out of range.

You can press "D" for undiving and diving and after pressing "d" you can immidiately give them a move order again. they will start to drive/go on to drive and while driving go up or down in water ;)
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby keyser » 04 Sep 2015, 14:41

izsh pretty much said everything

i would never build a T1 single sub on map without under mexx water. But they are very interesting to spam on map like craftious maximus.

although i would love to play a game where i spam sera T1 sub, and win thanks to dodging micro skill.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby FunkOff » 04 Sep 2015, 16:57

I would love to see all submarines do double torpedo damage and simultaneously buff all destroyer/top boat/int boat anti torp. Right now anti top is silly and pointless. Most people don't think much of it
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Return to Balance Discussion