Formation and movement of ships

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Formation and movement of ships

Postby pza » 22 Jul 2015, 15:00

Not particularly a balance issue, but sure a User Experience issue.

When group moving Water units i shouldn't be forced to use shift+g to break formation, in order to get them moving all at once. it's annoying that especially those in the back row of units start moving way later than the other units, while beeing massacred by a pushing force. This probably has to do with formations.

Another issue, probably related to this problem, but a separate annoyance, is that ships have a veeeery wide formation. Formations usually exist to make it possible for all units in a row to fire at once when an enemy appears in range, but with a very wide formation many short ranged ships like frigates and t1 subs are way out of position (far to the sides) when enemies appear. With a more dense formation this wouldn't be happening.

I do see why it can be hard to fix it, because of clumsy pathing this game has, but i hope some tweaking can happen.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Re: Formation and movement of ships

Postby yeager » 22 Jul 2015, 17:05

it would be epic I you could creat your own formations, you could finally get shields to stay in the middle and scouts to stay in the mid- back, not to mention all the stategies you could pull
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby ZeRen » 22 Jul 2015, 22:55

yeager wrote:it would be epic I you could creat your own formations, you could finally get shields to stay in the middle and scouts to stay in the mid- back, not to mention all the stategies you could pull

yea, but formation move is very slow , formation should move as the slowest unit
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby The Mak » 23 Jul 2015, 19:39

I believe it moves even slower than that; 80% speed of the slowest unit, so that other units can catch up.
The Mak
Contributor

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: The_Mak

Postby BrotherTerran » 24 Jul 2015, 21:42

Agreed on the formations if you could make your own that would be a HUGE strategic add to the game I think. If they were kinda like build templates of a sort. Navy formations are horrid since they spread out so much.
BrotherTerran
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: BrotherTerran

Postby yeager » 24 Jul 2015, 21:59

BrotherTerran wrote:Agreed on the formations if you could make your own that would be a HUGE strategic add to the game I think. If they were kinda like build templates of a sort. Navy formations are horrid since they spread out so much.

It would be cool, phalanxes of sorts and other formations would be awesome to see, however, it would be hard to always have the perfect number of units to do it. You would have to categorize units, so like if your seraphim(cause they have the fewest units) you would have destroyers on the outside, subhunters before that, and battle ships dead in the middle, with mobile shields through out. You could also put t1 subs under the destroyers and cruisers or aircraft carriers above the t3 sub hunters, the issue comes when you don't have destroyers, or when you have lots of frigates. Etc.
yeager
Evaluator

Postby yeager » 25 Jul 2015, 04:44

Also, if it did get added it would be unavailable to players below a certain rank or in low rank games, because this would be really frustrating for noobs.
yeager
Evaluator

Postby nine2 » 25 Jul 2015, 05:29

The formations are editable in code. Not sure if you can make your own... but certainly the FAF developers can change them for everyone.

Perhaps a ui mod can allow customized one per player, I don't know
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby speed2 » 25 Jul 2015, 06:52

you can find the code in gamedata/lua.scd/formations.lua
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby yeager » 02 Aug 2015, 02:08

briang wrote:The current state of naval micro feels pretty good to me. I feel like the more stuff like this we add the lower the skill gap becomes. It really just isn't that hard. A simple place to start with naval micro: frigates in front, highest tech level shis you have focus firing, micro the single ship that your opponent is focusing. Support ships and subs are pretty self explanatory in nature.

So making something more complex and adding more strategic value will decrease the skill gap? If this is the world's logic i am out
p-p-peace!
yeager
Evaluator

Next

Return to Balance Discussion