future of SCUs

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

future of SCUs

Postby keyser » 22 Jul 2015, 14:15

Everyone know that SCU gonna be nerf in the next patch. But i would like to know to what end you would like SCU to be use for.

At the moment there is 2 different way for them to be.

1st : nerf scu (since they are OP), make them still good unit as a fighter with high micro. ie make a spam scu rambo viable to fight T3/exp (depending of the SCU (cybran scu is weak against exp, but strong against T3 atm) and the player's micro skill).
Going for only scu spam won't be the best solution, but would still work.

2nd : nerf scu, and make them real SUPPORT unit. Even with the best micro, you won't be able to win against percy mass efficiently with a spam scu. making it not viable. But scu would be use as support unit able to make T3 spam/exp more deadly. For example, cybran scu would do low damage, but would still have emp. Brick would be the unit doing the damage, while cybran scu would lower opponent dps, and f*** up opponent micro.
For example, we would see shield UEF scu combo with percival more often.
Of course, scu would still be able to building on battlefront, and reclaim. (which is the goal of a support unit too)
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Re: future of SCUs

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 22 Jul 2015, 14:54

Since they were massively underused in the past in the support role, I would not like to see them go back to that.

I just don't see anyone investing in Quantum Gateway + the SCU for a shield that can protect only 2 percivals at once, to use your example. Buildpower at the frontline is also not the appeal of the SCU. Last minute T1 PD spam works against lower tech but at higher tech there is one main reason to have buildpower on the frontline: reclaim. As long as factory attack move engineers are an option no one will go through the hassle of making SCU's for frontline reclaiming. And in case you do want to build some structures at or near the front line, engineers are the better option still.

So unless the SCU's get massively better 'support' tools, they HAVE to be fighters. In the current SCU design building and supporting are just bonusses that do not make the difference. Just as the fac that they can be dropped and don't leave reclaim. They always had those characteristics and no one gave a s***.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby pza » 22 Jul 2015, 15:11

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:Since they were massively underused in the past in the support role, I would not like to see them go back to that.

This is the worst argument you could possibly have brought up.

The selling points of SCU's are:
- the ability to build and reclaim stuff in basically any contested area
- high HP for rambo (which appears to be the only one most people build anyway), meaning a couple can tank away several exps
- no wreckage, so yolopush comes with close to zero punishment compared to other units
- relatively quick

i don't think these units are OP. i think they need some t3 AA backpack. And antinuke.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby speed2 » 22 Jul 2015, 15:54

pza wrote:- no wreckage, so yolopush comes with close to zero punishment compared to other units

they will leave wreckages soon
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby yeager » 22 Jul 2015, 16:01

It depends on the scu, and you have to keep in mind t3 differences, so maybe aeon with mobile shields can counter percivals or bricks cost effectively, but has a long build time. Similarly, seraphim can't be a support and have the oc, it should be anti exp like it is now, but a bigger price tag and less health, so it's a little more like an anti t4 sniper bot. Uef and cybran have very strong t3, so if the scus are cost effective like t3, combined was th the no reclaim (which is an advantage in big numbers) they will be used just like they are now, I suggest buffing and nerfing them to complement their t3 counter parts. Uef can have the range and aoe, along with the shield, so it gives a little hp, but saves percivals from t1 and t2 spam. Similarly cybran can have low damage and stun, which makes the brick more effective (along with anti air) not sure if you can change the other upgrades to work in such a support fashion, but that's my idea for now :)
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 22 Jul 2015, 16:04

pza wrote:
Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:Since they were massively underused in the past in the support role, I would not like to see them go back to that.

This is the worst argument you could possibly have brought up.

Yeah, 7 years of uselesness don't mean anything of course. You must be totally right. :mrgreen:

pza wrote:i don't think these units are OP. i think they need some t3 AA backpack. And antinuke.

Troll post.

speed2 wrote:
pza wrote:- no wreckage, so yolopush comes with close to zero punishment compared to other units

When and where was that decided?
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby speed2 » 22 Jul 2015, 16:16

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:
speed2 wrote:

When and where was that decided?

Balance team is testing this, available in 3644 balance preview mod.
speed2
Contributor

Postby yeager » 22 Jul 2015, 17:03

Will they still explode?
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby speed2 » 22 Jul 2015, 17:10

they will always explode, wait for announcement from balance team for more info
Spoiler: show
For Zock's eyes only
speed2
Contributor

Postby maki » 23 Jul 2015, 11:23

I like the idea of having them as support units.

As combat units they should be less mass eficient as t3 or experimentals, because they can build and reclaim on battlefield.
maki

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: maki

Next

Return to Balance Discussion