T2pd

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: T2pd

Postby Apofenas » 02 Jul 2015, 11:22

I did mention this issue before in viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9240

Ground firing to increace range of units: This affects t2 point defences and t3 point defences.

Basicly aeon and uef players have an advantage in pd fight over cybran and seraphim, because they can ground fire on edge of maximal range and increace range for 5-7 points depending of terrain and AOE. Beam weapons that already have disadvantage on uneven terrain, can't do this.

Same goes to t3 pds. Aeon sniper bots that are not supposed to outrange pds, can increace range same way on proper terrain. Same with absolver, but this unit actually supposed to target shields themself instead of shield gens, so no problem here. T3 pds themself have AOE and can ground fire seraphim sniper bots and absolvers that are supposed to outrange pds.

Can this problems be solved somehow? Like with projectile life time, or weapon arch?

Both higher weapon arc or projectile life time don't solve this problem completely for t2 pds: even if projectile doesn't go out of allowed range, it will explode and do damage with AOE.

Another thing is such ground fire is 100% bug abuse and probably bannable. I only use it to return fire when someone starts using it on me since I found out this week that people are just not afraid of getting ban for such exploit even if you warn them multiple times in game and moderators can only kick these people out of game ruining it completely.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby PsychoBoB » 02 Jul 2015, 11:36

Apofenas wrote:Another thing is such ground fire is 100% bug abuse and probably bannable.

Seriously? I think this is only "knowing the game" like hover bombing with bombers, "moonwalk" of Megalith, etc.

Btw. if i play cybran, i try to use a complete different playstyle. Each faction has it's strength and you have to abuse their individual strenghts as much as you can.
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby nine2 » 02 Jul 2015, 11:51

very surprised to hear that is bannable. To me its just clever
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Apofenas » 02 Jul 2015, 12:07

Bug abuse is bannable offence as i got told by mod team. If it's not a bug or exploit, than i may be free to abuse it? I count it as bug as pds are not supposed to fire further than their actual range. But if it's intender and "balanced feature", why not make it official and set up 5 range advantages for aeon and uef pds than?
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Postby Softly » 02 Jul 2015, 12:59

If this is 100% bannable then thats 100% ludicrous.

All you're doing is groundfiring to make use of aoe, a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Its common throughout the game; for example groundfiring subs with battleships, groundfiring bombers to more efficiently kill buildings, and groundfiring t1 arty to kill wrecks (think omni wreck on wonder).

Aoe and groundfire aren't bugs, they're an intentional part of the game.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Iszh » 02 Jul 2015, 13:10

Lets ban all hover bomber players :mrgreen: i like forum today it s so funny
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby PsychoBoB » 02 Jul 2015, 13:29

Apofenas wrote:I count it as bug as pds are not supposed to fire further than their actual range.

And what's about Cybran mobile T3 Arty or ever better the Scathis? Have you ever seen their firing randomness?
If i pour out a bucket of water, i'll hit a target better than the Cybran artys... :D
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Apofenas » 02 Jul 2015, 14:01

In this particular case, inability to hit target is more disadvantage than advantage. It also is so much inaccurate that it may hit out of range may be 1/10 times and you'll get lucky if that shot will actually hit the target u want it to.

In case with pd, it's all shots hitting the target. This weapon have no firing randomness. And all of that with no pay back. I would understand if it would be cybran only since vipers are awesome, but sera mmls are even worse than UEF.

Hover bombing is same abuse in my opinion. It exists for ages and nobody seems to try fixing it. Howether there are people who say something like "don't do that or i leave", probably including Voodoo if 'm not mistaken. The problem is that probably every second player uses it in FAF.
Apofenas
Contributor

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 02 Jul 2015, 14:39

Softly wrote:If this is 100% bannable then thats 100% ludicrous.

All you're doing is groundfiring to make use of aoe, a perfectly legitimate thing to do. Its common throughout the game; for example groundfiring subs with battleships, groundfiring bombers to more efficiently kill buildings, and groundfiring t1 arty to kill wrecks (think omni wreck on wonder).

Thank you
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby IceDreamer » 02 Jul 2015, 14:48

It's not a bug
It's not a glitch
It's not an exploit
It DEFINITELY shouldn't be bannable

This is no different to hoverbombing, reversing megalith, ground-firing subs, ground-firing bombers...

Apofenas wrote:Bug abuse is bannable offence as i got told by mod team. If it's not a bug or exploit, than i may be free to abuse it? I count it as bug as pds are not supposed to fire further than their actual range. But if it's intender and "balanced feature", why not make it official and set up 5 range advantages for aeon and uef pds than?

Wrong. Just wrong. They are not supposed to TARGET things outside their maximum range. Range is about engaging, it's nothing to do with what the weapon CAN hit, because, oh yeah, physics! This is why we don't give 5 extra range, because that's 5 extra ENGAGEMENT range, and this would still work to extend the effective hit radius even further!

To highlight just how dumb this conversation is, suffice it to say if you want to ban or restrict this, we need to outright REMOVE the Tempest, all T3 Artillery, mobile and static, all the Battleships, Fatboy... Every single ONE of these is capable of damaging things WAAAAAYYYYY outside their maximum range, and they do it all the time, because of their inaccuracy and AOE. These don't even have to be microed!!!

It's a simulated game engine, and as such these things are possible, because physics. Get used to it and stop whining. Jesus!

Softly wrote:If this is 100% bannable then thats 100% ludicrous.

The amount of sense spoken here... It's over 9000!!!!!!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion