T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: T3 Artillery Turret Symmetry

Postby quark036 » 01 Jul 2015, 18:44

Naval yards is a great example of this, because one side gets their yard facing out into the sea with the engies hidden behind it, while the other side gets it facing into land with the engies in the open, and with the ships having trouble getting out into the open water.
quark036

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Quark036

Postby Ionic » 01 Jul 2015, 19:02

Especially UEF battleships, and Sera destroyers...
Ionic

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby zeroAPM » 01 Jul 2015, 20:01

Ionic wrote:Especially UEF battleships, and Sera destroyers...

Wrong thread?
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby Ionic » 01 Jul 2015, 21:43

UEF destroyers get stuck and Sera destroyers get stuck under the factory because of the way the factory is facing relative to where you want your ships to go...
Ionic

FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 02 Jul 2015, 10:03

Lots of naval units get stuck.

And they also have an amazing talent for turning the wrong way upon completion. Let's say you have a waypoint set north, they will inevitably turn south first, rotate a couple of times like the captain is drunk and then get stuck on some engineers or another boat anyway. :mrgreen:
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby codepants » 03 Jul 2015, 18:23

ZenTractor wrote:A possible workaround might be to have all buildings/units with turrets to spawn with their turrets facing the centre of the map.

I really like this.

90 degree increments is fine. Just have them spawn facing the 90 degree increment closest to the middle of the map.
codepants
Priest

Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby pza » 03 Jul 2015, 21:30

IceDreamer wrote: but whether or not this is a good idea for gameplay is very much debatable. It breaks adjacency for one thing.

Just highlighting this. It breaks adjacency. So, either rotatable buildings or adjacency, you choose. That's for the case adjecency cant be fixed, of course.

IF it can be fixed, 90° rotatable buildings would be clearly the best solution, not "face mid". The main reason beeing: on some maps, facing mid means facing a rock. best example: isis.
pza

Has liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: pza

Postby Valki » 04 Jul 2015, 11:54

I think a very simple solution, for turret structures at least, is this:

After construction, all turret-based structures have maximum turret rotation speed [ until they have fired once / for 2 seconds / something ]."

This will allow structures' turrets to near-instantly face towards an enemy, regardless of placement. I think it is much easier for the player and the programmers, and should solve this problem.
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby yeager » 07 Jul 2015, 01:32

I could be map specific, so say in Isis everything would point north, and on setons everything goes to the middle, so it is equal and ppl don't need to spend extra time placig the unit
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby rxnnxs » 09 Sep 2015, 12:37

In another thread (I can not remember exactly but think it was about the TML and TMDs) it was also talked about the TMDs.
i mentioned that also the homing position is in favor for one and bad for the other opponent.
the TMD goes back to the "homing" position. It is always south (if i remember correct).
if someone fires from top to down, the TMD (UEF i.e.) has to turn 180° and at that time, the missile has moved further.
if vice versa, the missile is shot way faster.
in those cases, a fast movement before the first shot would not be the best solution.

it would be the best solution if buildings could be rotated with the middle mouse button just like build templates can be rotated. brought to us by a great mod (forgot the name, sorry) that is now implemented in FAF.
edit: its GAZ_UI and integrated
Last edited by rxnnxs on 23 Sep 2015, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion