What does veterancy add to the game?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

Re: What does veterancy add to the game?

Postby yeager » 18 Jun 2015, 17:51

I don't think engineer should give vet, at least not t1, that way experimentals don't get unfair health bonus, I also like the
Regen idea where the unit gets a higher total life and an insane regen bonus for a minute or so , but this is currently dumb, also the rate at which the experimental gets its hp reward from vet could add to diversity (like maby monkey lord gets it really fast but the megalith has to wait 2minutes to get the full use of the vet). This only really needs to apply for experimentals, adding this to the acus takes out a fun aspect if the game, like when you have a hundred health left and kill the enemy acu, but in doing so get a vet that let's you survive the acu blast, these things at fun, it is not fun however when a monkey lord gets 2 vet entirely off the engineers assisting your air factory.
yeager
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: Yeager

Postby Resin_Smoker » 18 Jun 2015, 18:13

I'd like to see engineers gain "build" veterancy; Gaining both hit-points and a bonus to to the units build-rate.

Note: this is already part of 4DC

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Ionic » 18 Jun 2015, 18:44

Glad this is just a conversation going no where! Mass based vet, with no other changes is the only thing I would go for. AS/IS is fine too.
Ionic

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby Crotalus » 19 Jun 2015, 01:28

A mass-based system with the xp divided by damage dealt would be nice, for instance if a cloud of asf kills an Ahwassa they would get xp divided by how much damage each plane inflicted on the killed unit. Right now only 1 ASF get xp when it's killed.

Regen increase over time instead of insta-heal is another good suggestion.
Crotalus
Priest

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 102 times
FAF User Name: Crotalus

Postby E8400-CV » 19 Jun 2015, 03:06

Isn't that a whole lot to keep track of? (Meaning less performance)
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby keyser » 19 Jun 2015, 04:01

i like "A mass-based system with the xp divided by damage dealt would be nice".
feel like having a smarter gameplay.

I don't like the engie vet idea. I don't know to what goal it would be usefull (reduce number of T1 engie needed ? to have a smoother game ?). Reduce the number of T1 engie, can be done by way more interesting ways. And i don't see why an engie that have been building asf since 10 min, would be more able to build any other unit, and why it should have more health than a new engie. doesn't make a lot of sense for me.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Resin_Smoker » 19 Jun 2015, 04:33

keyser wrote:I don't like the engie vet idea. I don't know to what goal it would be usefull (reduce number of T1 engie needed ? to have a smoother game ?). Reduce the number of T1 engie, can be done by way more interesting ways. And i don't see why an engie that have been building asf since 10 min, would be more able to build any other unit, and why it should have more health than a new engie. doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

This would make engineers more valuable in the late game as well as make T1 engineers progressively better over time. Hence the loss of a few engineers could have a profound impact on build speed as the replacement engineers lvl up.

Now as for performance this should have any SIM impact what so ever as the engineers are only checking to see if they have leveled up on build completion.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 19 Jun 2015, 13:18

Crotalus wrote:..the xp divided by damage dealt would be nice, for instance if a cloud of asf kills an Ahwassa they would get xp divided by how much damage each plane inflicted on the killed unit. Right now only 1 ASF get xp when it's killed.

I wanted to do on this way, was asking brute54, and he say me that it will rapidli slow game down, because game then need link every units and remember new statistic about damage deal. But if it is posible to do and not slow game down, is here someone who can make it? If yes, i will implement it on Equilibrium.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby IceDreamer » 19 Jun 2015, 14:21

I think if such a thing were restricted to only Experimentals, it wouldn't hit performance too hard.

Start with when a unit takes damage, add instigator ID to a table, if it's not already there. So a storage event. Then, when a unit dies, make all the instigator's run their XP gain function.

Say we had a system where XP is awarded on a "Units gain 1 XP for each 3% of their own mass that they kill". To get something reasonably close working with low performance hit for the whole spread-vet, you'd do mass of dead unit divided by the number of instigators, and pass that on as the amount of mass each instigator "Killed". It's not going to take account of how much each unit in the swarm helped, instead treating them all equally, but it's still better than what we have now. Additionally, if say there were some Inties and some ASFs which survived helping to kill the Ahwassa, the Inties are going to get serious vet points for it, the ASFs less so, because it's based on mass.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Vee » 19 Jun 2015, 17:28

Even a monkeylord is about 350x as expensive as a t1 tank, so if you make it mass based then an ACU which OCs an exp would instantly get full vet. Or you'd have to do some slowly growing function like square root instead.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Discussion