What does veterancy add to the game?

Moderator: JaggedAppliance

What does veterancy add to the game?

Postby Valki » 14 Jun 2015, 22:02

I'm not really suggesting that Veterancy should be (mostly) removed, I am just interested in what people think it means to the game. However, I post it here because there there is, basically, a certain suggestion to this question.

Now veterancy, in my own games and in replays I watch, I see basically three parts of it:
  • Near-Death ACU's randomly getting new hitpoints
  • Engineers being suicided to prevent experimentals from becoming invincible
  • Knowing my ACU will get tougher if I bring it to the battlefield

I can see the gameplay value of veterancy for the ACU, as it promotes aggressive gameplay. Whereas I don't see this benefit really applying to regular units and experimentals, as they are both used aggressively anyway.

However, I am very curious how other players (and casters) see veterancy. What good things does it bring to the game, what bad things does it bring to the game?
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Re: What does veterancy add to the game?

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 14 Jun 2015, 22:11

veterancy as actual is, bring only cancer, it looks like this http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... ls-012.jpg

Hate it and its master stupid game mechanic that have no reason to exist.
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby IceDreamer » 14 Jun 2015, 22:20

Current veterancy works nicely for the ACU, rewarding aggression and creating tense, hilarious moments. It also works for most other units, where it gives a slight bonus to the lucky few, but not enough to really turn the tide.

It falls flat with Experimentals. Here, it's downright stupidly designed, and results in all sorts of negative gameplay instances :(
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby keyser » 14 Jun 2015, 22:28

veterancy is here to reward micro.

you can stay in a game even if behind at eco, by having better land engagement (losing less unit, killing more), by micro (com gun upgrade, higher tech unit micro to keep them alive (and make them more powerfull thx to vet), by multi-tasking (win over your opponent even if less unit, and eco).........

lots of player in here want to put reduce (delete) the micro from this game. And i think that is a really big mistake.

"Near-Death ACU's randomly getting new hitpoints" you can get it randomly, or you can pay attention to your number of kill, and get a vet by staying in battle longer than you should have otherwise.

"Engineers being suicided to prevent experimentals from becoming invincible" i don't really see the issue with that...

if you think that you build unit only for attack, you mistaken. This game reward a lot the defense, thx to reclaim. You can build exp, in order to defend from an other exp. and let your exp regen thx to vet after battle.
Instant bonus health aren't a matter for me. I know how it works, i know how to play with it.

you are just trying to remove a part of the complexity of the game. And it's not what we should go for imo.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby codepants » 14 Jun 2015, 22:41

Valki wrote:Engineers being suicided to prevent experimentals from becoming invincible

Someone proposed an interesting solution to this once: Mass-based veterancy. Rather than killing a certain number of units, you would gain veterancy when you kill units worth a certtain percentage of your own mass. For instance, a tank worth 50 mass would gain vet after killing 250 mass worth of units instead of 5 tanks. A GC worth 82500 mass would gain vet after killing ? worth of mass... instead of a bunch of engies.

Personally, I like the veterancy system. I think it's more fun. It makes you choose between killing a bunch of engies to try and get vet, or going straight for the ACU. I think of it sort of like the pawn trade in chess. Once a unit becomes weak, it is rewarded if it has done x good deeds. If it is rewarded because it's an experimental and got a bunch of weak units thrown at it... then you probably won anyways.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby keyser » 14 Jun 2015, 23:01

vet based on mass value of unit killed, feels like more logic to me too
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 14 Jun 2015, 23:40

keyser wrote:vet based on mass value of unit killed, feels like more logic to me too

codepants wrote:Someone proposed an interesting solution to this once: Mass-based veterancy. Rather than killing a certain number of units, you would gain veterancy when you kill units worth a certtain percentage of your own mass. For instance, a tank worth 50 mass would gain vet after killing 250 mass worth of units instead of 5 tanks. A GC worth 82500 mass would gain vet after killing ? worth of mass... instead of a bunch of engies.

That someone was Ithilis, you can tell this suggestion to balance concilor for add it in to game, aah any balance concilor doesnt exist, for the time when he will born, you can try how it work on Equilibrium, where it work exaktli same as you say. ;)
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby JeanLu » 14 Jun 2015, 23:40

Hi,

I like the veterancy idea but I believe it would be better to not suddenly add xk points to a unit, process should be smoother.
Easy to know when your ACU will get this xk points but almost impossible to know when your enemy ACU will. And that is pretty unfair to be about to kill the enemy ACU and fail because of this sudden hit point addition.
Jean
JeanLu
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: JeanLu

Postby IceDreamer » 14 Jun 2015, 23:50

For ACUs it creates great tension and clutch plays, so I think it's fine there. For Experimentals, the whole situation is fucked beyond belief, which is why a fair number have suggested increasing max HP but not granting an immediate HP lump, and increasing the amount of regen which units get.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby E8400-CV » 18 Jun 2015, 05:16

IceDreamer wrote:For ACUs it creates great tension and clutch plays, so I think it's fine there. For Experimentals, the whole situation is fucked beyond belief, which is why a fair number have suggested increasing max HP but not granting an immediate HP lump, and increasing the amount of regen which units get.

That sounds good. Right now the only thing that regularly gets veterancy is monkeylord that stomps through somewhere. Usually, 3 out of 4 players try to kill it, and one idiot teammate feeds it endless t1 land crap. Result; you end up killing it three times before it dies... right.
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Next

Return to Balance Discussion