Tactics/Strategy help. Answering your questions.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Tactics/Strategy help. Answering your questions.

Postby Petricpwnz » 17 Feb 2015, 14:12

Hellcat wrote:Thanks for your thread Petric !! :]

About RAS, I usually start it with 2 T2 pgn link with 3 energy storage to each other. And I assist with everything I can, stoping all production around.

Is that a non-sense stupidity or did it worth it to crash is eco for a moment and try to rush it that way ?!

If you mean crashing energy - then no, as soon as you are about to stall energy, pause and then unpause after you store some. In terms of mass it's normal to stall mass when going RAS in any situation, how much build power to put on it depends on if you need your other projects working at the same time or you can afford to invest all mass into RAS (that's the reason you sometimes see people on seton's not going RAS on naval spots, because they are rushing/being rushed, and they need their production working as fast as possible).
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby codepants » 19 Feb 2015, 19:36

No questions atm but I wanted to say I really appreciate this thread. Thanks for the offer and for being so responsive!
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby Flamingo » 19 Feb 2015, 21:58

Do you think you can provide any advice for lopsided games? Specifically, 3v1, 4v1, or similar situations? I've got friends I play with who are at a lower skill level and they tend to like to band together in any given situation. Phantom or FFA has me marked, and they tend not to favor team games unless I'm by myself or have a single partner of their choosing.

I lost the last one. It wound up being a 3v2 after Aussie's connection dropped out, but they got all his stuff.
content.faforever.com/faf/vault/replay_vault/replay.php?id=3112241

Generally these games are either very challenging and engaging for me, or they fall completely flat and I wind up feeling really unimpressed with the whole thing because, well, the whole thing is pretty lopsided and any lack of tactical awareness or any sub-par micro on my part results in a handy steamroll - which is what they may like about it, I think.

With this game I definitely did some things wrong and maybe let myself become too conservative - I kept spotting hits all over the map. It's way harder playing one base against two or three, though, which is also a situation I find myself in a lot. Do you have any recommendations on this kind of stuff? Strong methods to pull map control, maybe? Cheap tricks to spin the tables around?

Also, too, if you can critique Exit, the blue UEF player, he was remarking last night that he feels like he's getting worse. It may also be that he's playing against me a lot and I'm trying to get better. Any general tips for him?
Flamingo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Flamingo

Postby Petricpwnz » 20 Feb 2015, 22:12

Flamingo wrote:Do you think you can provide any advice for lopsided games? Specifically, 3v1, 4v1, or similar situations? I've got friends I play with who are at a lower skill level and they tend to like to band together in any given situation. Phantom or FFA has me marked, and they tend not to favor team games unless I'm by myself or have a single partner of their choosing.

I lost the last one. It wound up being a 3v2 after Aussie's connection dropped out, but they got all his stuff.
content.faforever.com/faf/vault/replay_vault/replay.php?id=3112241

Generally these games are either very challenging and engaging for me, or they fall completely flat and I wind up feeling really unimpressed with the whole thing because, well, the whole thing is pretty lopsided and any lack of tactical awareness or any sub-par micro on my part results in a handy steamroll - which is what they may like about it, I think.

With this game I definitely did some things wrong and maybe let myself become too conservative - I kept spotting hits all over the map. It's way harder playing one base against two or three, though, which is also a situation I find myself in a lot. Do you have any recommendations on this kind of stuff? Strong methods to pull map control, maybe? Cheap tricks to spin the tables around?

Also, too, if you can critique Exit, the blue UEF player, he was remarking last night that he feels like he's getting worse. It may also be that he's playing against me a lot and I'm trying to get better. Any general tips for him?

In situations where you are against multiple opponents apm is surely a big factor, if you think you are a slow player applying some snipe strategy to try and kill 1 of the opponents might be a good idea. In these games play safe with your acu and remember that you have double eco so if you decide to push some certain plan it will be twice as effective as if you have done it with single base. As for this particular game 1st thing that pops up is that you gave up all the middle reclaim way too easily (or you didn't even try to take it? if so, that was simply the biggest mistake of all guys in that game, no matter how bad/good your strategy is, the one having all that mass will win agaisnt whoever isnt reclaiming), of course its dangerous with only 2 acus against what could be 3 but that shouldnt be an excuse. Try to have a better radar and awareness, send units to raid the side. A faster t2 switch wouldve been good but thats not something you should really worry about if you dont fix the reclaim issue first :D

As for Exit - again reclaim everywhere, just pick it up, and the lack of radar irritated me again. Also he didn't make enough engies, not even talking about engies to reclaim, but engies to make some factories/assist them/assist mexes etc. he had too much mass and energy storing and wasting. He should aslo try to use his units more actively, for you it was maybe ok because you were on a defencive already without all the reclaim and 2v3, but he shouldve scouted whats ahead of him and atacked if he feels he can win a fight. Also bringing your acu so far forvard on a big map like this is too dangerous, especially without upgrades. Lastly he needs to be faster with his ecoing, and teching in general.

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Petricpwnz
Priest

Postby Flamingo » 20 Feb 2015, 23:56

Petricpwnz wrote:In situations where you are against multiple opponents apm is surely a big factor, if you think you are a slow player applying some snipe strategy to try and kill 1 of the opponents might be a good idea. In these games play safe with your acu and remember that you have double eco so if you decide to push some certain plan it will be twice as effective as if you have done it with single base. As for this particular game 1st thing that pops up is that you gave up all the middle reclaim way too easily (or you didn't even try to take it? if so, that was simply the biggest mistake of all guys in that game, no matter how bad/good your strategy is, the one having all that mass will win agaisnt whoever isnt reclaiming), of course its dangerous with only 2 acus against what could be 3 but that shouldnt be an excuse. Try to have a better radar and awareness, send units to raid the side. A faster t2 switch wouldve been good but thats not something you should really worry about if you dont fix the reclaim issue first :D

As for Exit - again reclaim everywhere, just pick it up, and the lack of radar irritated me again. Also he didn't make enough engies, not even talking about engies to reclaim, but engies to make some factories/assist them/assist mexes etc. he had too much mass and energy storing and wasting. He should aslo try to use his units more actively, for you it was maybe ok because you were on a defencive already without all the reclaim and 2v3, but he shouldve scouted whats ahead of him and atacked if he feels he can win a fight. Also bringing your acu so far forvard on a big map like this is too dangerous, especially without upgrades. Lastly he needs to be faster with his ecoing, and teching in general.

Alright, thanks for the advice! I'll spend the next few games focused on putting engineers on reclaim at all times and able to reach it, for that matter. Unlike Setons, it's a bit of a scary map to be fighting in the center since you can't duck into the water, but I suppose you've got to either win your battle there or die later. I'll also try to focus on more radar coverage in general. Better awareness will take some practice but if I keep doing games like this I'll pick it up eventually.

I sent Exit a link to the thread, so I hope it helps him out.
Flamingo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Flamingo

Postby lextoc » 24 Feb 2015, 12:48

As aeon on a map like syrtis for example, playing against UEF: what should I build after I rushed harbingers and he has gotten enough percies to defend with?
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 24 Feb 2015, 12:56

Restorers! Oh wait.... :mrgreen:
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Petricpwnz » 24 Feb 2015, 18:11

lextoc wrote:As aeon on a map like syrtis for example, playing against UEF: what should I build after I rushed harbingers and he has gotten enough percies to defend with?

Make some firebases with t2 pds, acu with range and shield and rush gc. Or just rush OPscu xD even kackeon shittiest scu is op. Or some cancer snipe. Well, just standart fa gameplay ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Petricpwnz
Priest

Postby keyser » 24 Feb 2015, 22:52

i'm don't want to start debate, but i tested aeon kacksACU, and it really doesn't work against percy ^^
i mean really.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Petricpwnz » 24 Feb 2015, 23:03

keyser wrote:i'm don't want to start debate, but i tested aeon kacksACU, and it really doesn't work against percy ^^
i mean really.

Not sure how you tested, but i also tested and with micro raped percy like hitl... lets say its just really bad.

Petricpwnz
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Tactics/strategy help