T1 Land Composition

Moderator: PhilipJFry

T1 Land Composition

Postby Deribus » 27 Apr 2017, 19:00

What's a good T1 land composition? I typically go 2 tanks and 1 arty on repeat, except for UEF where I go 3 tanks and 1 arty, but as I've gotten higher in ladder I've noticed a lot of my opponents only build tanks except when they specifically need to get rid of PD.

I also tend to avoid building AA unless I absolutely have to, and rely on interceptors to defend my armies.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Re: T1 Land Composition

Postby KeyBlue » 27 Apr 2017, 19:38

You don't mention any scouts. Does that mean you don't build any?
If not, then you really should start adding them to your queue. Something like 1 for each other 5-6 units.

Why?
They provide important information regarding your opponents unit numbers and positioning, while also making sure all units that can shoot farther then they can see (aurora and arty) can use their max range.

2 tanks and 1 arty is quite heavy on the artillery, especially in the early game. Since 2 tank + 1 arty lose against 3 tanks.
So your first units should probably not contain any artillery so you can win those early skirmishes.
After the initial raids and when the pds are build, you can add some artillery to your mix. (If you don't have the attention to add them later, just add them from the start anyway.)
The actual ratio isn't so important, but i would go with 1 arty for each 3+ tanks.

Its usually a good choice not to add AA in your armies, especially at the start (same reason you want no arty at the start).
Later on when the armies are bigger it could be nice to have some AA if you don't have air control.

Any more questions?
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby TheKoopa » 27 Apr 2017, 21:17

3 tanks 1 arty 1 scout is good

Don't build t1 aa, it's a waste of mass especially now that they cost a lot, interceptors are far better
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby RocketRooster » 27 Apr 2017, 23:48

As a cybran player I go quite heavy on the T1 maa. I tend to mix up the build order on different facs. A few facs would be spamming 6 mantis and 1 mole, others would be spamming an arty and a maa on repeat, depending on what my opponent seems to be doing.

In any case, the fact that my aa can shoot ground makes it worthwhile and there is usually some aa around to deal with remote bomber attacks and if not they can be parked off taking out enemy mexes or just acting as fodder to soak up fire away from my tanks and arty. They are even good enough to take down T2 gunships if present in fairly modest numbers.

It works well, so far. The change from vanilla where you don't have to toggle fire mode is a godsend. I'd have to say that cybran t1 maa has kept me from learning how to spam interceptors :)
RocketRooster

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: RocketRooster

Postby ladderff » 28 Apr 2017, 16:00

2 tanks and 1 arty is quite heavy on the artillery, especially in the early game. Since 2 tank + 1 arty lose against 3 tanks.

KeyBlue,

If I have the three tanks and I come upon the 2 tank + 1 arty, should I focus fire the arty or should I keep my tanks moving?
ladderff
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ladderff

Postby KeyBlue » 28 Apr 2017, 16:16

ladderff wrote:

If I have the three tanks and I come upon the 2 tank + 1 arty, should I focus fire the arty or should I keep my tanks moving?

Keep moving to dodge the artillery fire.
As long as your units are able to dodge the artillery fire, the arty is completely useless and will only act like an expensive meat shield.

If you try to focus something then focus one of the tanks, but make sure to do a move command immediatly after you give the attack command so your units keep moving.

Focusing the arty or another tank without having them move around, would cause your tanks to get hit by the arty. Something you need to avoid at all costs.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Apr 2017, 22:08

I do...
5 tanks 1 scout if no PD or air
5 tanks 1 arty (possibly 1 scout) if PD but I do not need it demolished ASAP
5 tanks 1 MAA (possibly 1 scout) if there are bombers and I cannot provide adequate cover with inties
1 arty sequenced on a factory that is on attack move onto a PD that I need decimated ASAP or if I am storming a base and have a factory nearby.

Artillery is good for base destruction, as has been noted earlier, but it usually sucks vs. units. MAA is decent for its purpose but 1-2 is not enough, you need 5+ to be effective. Scouts are a necessity at any stage in the game. They will provide some intel regarding nearby enemy forces (for free - no energy upkeep) and they are a must-have companion for Mongoose (although a better companion is called T2 radar) which is useless without intel.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Return to Tactics/strategy help