how to counter T2 PD creep?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

how to counter T2 PD creep?

Postby Flynn » 22 Jan 2017, 17:55

Hi, I really don't know the answer to this question. Yes I know people will say MMLs but when I build MMLs they get killed easily by tanks. Edit: I think I remember: my own T2 point defenses.
Attachments
5699460-Flynn.fafreplay
(97.52 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Re: how to counter T2 PD creep?

Postby JoonasTo » 22 Jan 2017, 20:25

Well, there are a few things about this game that stand out more than the T2 pd creep. But specifically for that, your MMLs are not front line combat units, they're utility units you need to protect with your main army. This game your MMLs just got killed while your tanks watched from a distance. Next time, tanks/commander in front of your MMLs.
I'm sure you know this though ;)

There's also a thing about Aeon MMLs and their slow rate of fire. In this case, with the Buzzkills from UEF being so bad, wasn't too much of an issue but against Sera or Cybran, you're going to have problems if you don't micro them. Pretty sure heaven had a video about that but I can't seem to find it right now. Basically you gather them up, hold fire them, order them to attack and then let them fire so they all fire at the same time.

Something else I noticed earlier was that you sent half of your army to kill his expansion, while four tanks would have done the job. If you didn't do that, you could have pushed mid from both sides with your army and your commander, if not outright killing him, at least forcing him out of the centre. Let him build the T2 PDs in his corner all he wants. :lol:
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Postby ZLO_RD » 22 Jan 2017, 20:40

would be great if you have NOT used t1 land to keep UEF t2 land away from your base. that way maybe you could make your t3 land faster instead of manking many many t1 land and loosing it to t2 land and air.
then after you got t3 you lost ALOT of your t1 air to t2 flack for almost no reason. then your harbringer attacks got killed mostly by janus
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby rtc » 23 Jan 2017, 02:09

you had tech disadvantage for very long

enemy starts making pillars at minute 10 or so, you stick to making auroras until minute 20!!
i know aeon t2 is not the best, but auroras just get annihilated by t2 land. once the enemy has significant numbers of t2 tanks, your t1 armies cant really take fights anymore. in such situation you should either make obsidians (not super good t2 tank because slow and expensive, but still much better against other t2 than aurora) or go t3 fast for harbs which will destroy T2 land

regarding the T2 PD creep: MML is the textbook T2 unit that counters them, but you have to pay attention. protect your MML with t2 tanks (you couldnt because you only had shitty t1 tanks around) and be careful about enemy MMLs shooting back at your MMLs. if enemy builds many TMDs you will need many MMLs, and it can take a lot of time to overwhelm them. same with shields.

if you don't like MML you can always go fast T3 instead. PD creep progresses very slowly, and PDs dont move, so you generally dont have to be afraid of getting punished for teching early.
when you are on T3 you can make mobile T3 artillery or sniper bots. both have more range than MML and ignore any TMD your opponent has built. sniper bot does much more dps than MML (good for quickly getting through shields) and artillery does more splash damage than MML (good for taking out multiple things at once)

or you can just not attack the firebase and go attack elsewhere instead. build more air, pick off his stuff with gunships or bombers, use transports to drop strong units (harbs are strong) behind enemy lines to f*** up his eco, try and take more map control with raids, out eco him, stuff like that
rtc
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: RTC

Postby Thatcherite » 23 Jan 2017, 13:58

I'm just on my phone at the moment so can't check the replay, but it sounds like the game I played against flynn on Sunday... I'd hardly call it pd creep! I just needed something to keep back the t1.. What else should I have done? Just focused on more t2 units?

I was amazed I won, from about 4/5 min in I had less eco and fewer units. I felt massively behind for most of the game and was sure Flynn would win if he'd pushed earlier... What should I have done differently?
Thatcherite
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Thatcherite

Postby lextoc » 24 Jan 2017, 12:21

Thatcherite wrote:I'm just on my phone at the moment so can't check the replay, but it sounds like the game I played against flynn on Sunday... I'd hardly call it pd creep! I just needed something to keep back the t1.. What else should I have done? Just focused on more t2 units?

I was amazed I won, from about 4/5 min in I had less eco and fewer units. I felt massively behind for most of the game and was sure Flynn would win if he'd pushed earlier... What should I have done differently?

Hit me up in aeolus and I will give you tips & tricks.
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Return to Tactics/strategy help