Setons naval guidance for a 1100-1200 player

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Setons naval guidance for a 1100-1200 player

Postby Ducky » 18 Jan 2017, 20:57

Hi all

I am interested in some guidance on the Setons naval positions from players better than me in those positions.

To provide some context: I have a 1300 rating, however this is skewed by my relative strong capability in the air, which I mostly play. I am probably more like 900-1100 in the water. This means I have a very good grasp of the basics such as efficient eco progression etc. I have watched a lot of pro replays, and I think there are some key meta-play aspects that I need to understand and learn.

I am particularly interested in the following:

1. Why do some pros go double air factory. But not always. When is the right situation for this?
2. How do you determine the best time to start T1 navy? (Almost always frigate spam.)
3. Why do some people transport engineers into the middle of the sea and start T1 navy there? What is the benefit of this. Why not do it all the time?
4. Same question as above for the CORNER of the sea, i.e. hidden away.
5. How do you determine the best time to upgrade to T2 navy?
6. How do you determine the best time for RAS?
7. Approach to building T2 and T3 power, post RAS-nerf.

Obviously the answer to all of these is "it depends what your opponent is doing" but I am interested in specific guideline criteria for taking one course of actions vs. another, and of course any general help that anyone might be able to provide!

All help appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

Ducky
Ducky
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Ducky

Re: Setons naval guidance for a 1100-1200 player

Postby JoonasTo » 19 Jan 2017, 01:29

I'm not actually a setons player but eh, I think I can qualify for this.

1A. They want more air.
1B. When you need more air. You say you know the airgame, this is just like that. It is the same as when you build more ASF.

2. This depends completely on your tactic and your opponent. But considering basic ecowhoring, it is right after you scout your enemy has started his.

3A. To rush.
3B. Closer rally point -> Shorter travel time -> More units in the fight, faster
3C. It is expensive and vulnerable. High risk, high reward.

4. You answered that already.

5. When you will win with it OR when you will lose without it. You need to plan, scout and recognise these situations.

6. After your T3 mexes.

7. Build them.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

Return to Tactics/strategy help