What the f*** is a navy

Moderator: PhilipJFry

What the f*** is a navy

Postby Kalavinka » 12 Jan 2017, 13:41

Hey guys. 60 games noob here, 3.33 win ratio rating ~400.

I've recently gotten the hang of small maps and their insipid land factory spam. However, when it comes to large maps...

I have no clue what I'm doing.

I've lost every naval battle I've ever fought. I thought the sane thing to do was spam like 6 naval factories and have them pump out an even number of subs and frigates, but that hasn't been going too well for me. The enemy has either had more or already pumped out like 5 T2 destroyers to my 1 when it comes time to fight.

What should I be doing, from scratch, on navy maps?

I play just about every faction, but mostly Seraphim. Advice would be appreciated.
Kalavinka
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Kalavinka

Re: What the f*** is a navy

Postby biass » 12 Jan 2017, 13:53

Q: What is a navy?
A: does it water?
if yes, it is a navy

On a serious note about navy, basic concepts apply, don't fall behind on tech/unit count if you can etc, making 6 factories wont help you if your enemy makes 9, blah blah
Ecoing and making higher tech navy at the same time can give a more extreme consequence on low mass maps, make sure to choose correctly

Frigates are normally considered a better choice then subs, but frigs cannot kill subs, so you can choose to force your enemy to make subs/other by making subs, or you make subs to react to his subs (this is t1 stage, t2 subs have a bit more complexity) frigates are also still used on higher tech levels, as aa dps or meatshields

spamming engineers for buildpower on factories is always a must have, so that boats dont take forever to build

also making sonar, T3 sonar is real cheap and the range it gives is massive, build them!

im sure someone else can elaborate on it further (seton mains incoming) but these are some basic notes
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Kalavinka » 12 Jan 2017, 14:07

So basically, the entire point of T1 navy is frigates but your enemy gets subs to stop you having frigates so you get subs to stop them stopping you from having frigates.

Interesting. Thank you!

I suppose I'll have to try focusing on teching up my navy more rapidly, given that my army of bee-devouring sea crocodiles can just about do anything I want it to.

Except go on land and make stuff.

Thanks for your reply!
Kalavinka
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Kalavinka

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 04 Apr 2017, 03:18

If you look at the mass values and at the game, you'll notice that T1 navy costs like T2 land. Now, I quote Gurzil, "Treat T1 navy as T2 land... T2 navy as T3 land... T3 navy as exp". So for serious T1 naval spam you'll need T2 mexes. On big maps you usually can get them before being wrecked to pieces.

Spoiler: show
All I have, I am pretty unskilled in navy myself so I'll absorb any knowledge given.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Return to Tactics/strategy help