Some help vs T3 artillery

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Some help vs T3 artillery

Postby tallian2 » 11 Dec 2016, 12:03

Is there a guide regarding T3 artillery?

More specifically how to defend against it. When my opponent(s) manage to build one it doesn't seem to matter how many shields I build, a couple of shots are enough to knock them all out and then start damaging my base.

Also when building them I know surrounding them with pgens improves ROF but I've also been told not to do this because the pgens have less HP and will destroy the artillery when they blow up.

Thanks in advance.
tallian2
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Tallian2

Re: Some help vs T3 artillery

Postby speed2 » 11 Dec 2016, 12:08

You just need more shields and constanly build more.
Also high number of high tech engiest assisng one shield can restore sheild HP, but it drains a lot of resources. It is possible to defend against scathis like this. But as I said, high number.

Side note: if you opponent have arty (80k mass+-) and you don't have anything to counter it with some units worth the same mass, you might have done something wrong during the game.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby lextoc » 11 Dec 2016, 13:17

It's sort of an end-gamer. If your opponent has one and you don't have anything worth the same (like Speed said), then you must have done something wrong earlier in the game. Perhaps you've giving too much mass by attacking, overbuild something, didn't attack when you should have, ... Whatever it is: that's what made you lose. Not your opponent's T3 Artillery, that's the consequence.

However, Speed said it's possible to defend with many many many many shields. I don't know, you could give that a shot should the situation occur again!
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby tallian2 » 11 Dec 2016, 17:55

Thanks for the replies.

I just seem to run our of space to build the shields. I try assisting with engies too bit usually not high tech.

I usually end up playing maps like thermo or gap. I know they are not great maps but most players around 1k rating seem to only play that and I can't really commit the time to break out of that rut. So for now I just have to make do.
tallian2
Crusader

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 13 Dec 2016, 00:52

False. Most people around 1k rating play wonder, Phantom X, Canis River, etc but not Gap or Thermo.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby tallian2 » 14 Dec 2016, 17:43

Whenever I log on the choices are usually: gap, thermo or settons. Occasionally twin rivers or cannis are there and I usually jump on these.
tallian2
Crusader

Postby codepants » 20 Dec 2016, 05:50

How do you defend against t3 arty?

You destroy it.

Your opponent just invested on the order of 100,000 mass. If you didn't spend about the same amount of mass on something that can kill it, you've lost anyway because you were 100,000 mass behind.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby tallian2 » 03 Jan 2017, 12:44

codepants wrote:How do you defend against t3 arty?

You destroy it.

Your opponent just invested on the order of 100,000 mass. If you didn't spend about the same amount of mass on something that can kill it, you've lost anyway because you were 100,000 mass behind.

I'm rarely that far behind, but lets say as an example, I've invested unwisely in a different strategy that didn't pay off or lost a battle and gave up a wreck field, or some other tactical error that of itself shouldn't cost me the game, and my own t3 arty is 10% to 20% behind his or my land based assault is just not quite big enough to push with yet.

I find that t3 arty tears through my base far faster than mine tears through my opponents. My shields seem to save me from 1 or 2 shots then die, while my opponent always seems to last a lot longer.

Tall
tallian2
Crusader

Postby NapSpan » 04 Jan 2017, 17:03

tallian2 wrote:
codepants wrote:How do you defend against t3 arty?

You destroy it.

I'm rarely that far behind, but lets say as an example, I've invested unwisely in a different strategy that didn't pay off or lost a battle and gave up a wreck field, or some other tactical error that of itself shouldn't cost me the game, and my own t3 arty is 10% to 20% behind his or my land based assault is just not quite big enough to push with yet.

I find that t3 arty tears through my base far faster than mine tears through my opponents. My shields seem to save me from 1 or 2 shots then die, while my opponent always seems to last a lot longer.

Tall

Try this, cover your base with shields but dont have all off them on, for example, if you need 3 shields to cover your base, build 9 and have them in groups with only one group on at same time, arty shells have splash damage so it will damage all shields near impact, when first group is about to fall, turn it off and put to work group 2, same with group 3 etc... in this way you spend some APM but less resources.
Anyway this works vs normal artillery, vs Scathis i dont think so...
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 06 Jan 2017, 05:10

You can use 6 T2 shields to block Scathis' shots, NapSpan, but that is a hypothetical scenario that requires A LOAD of APM to be executed. You need to focus completely on microing those shields for it to be successful, thus leaving the rest of the map without attention.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help