1v1 questions

Moderator: PhilipJFry

1v1 questions

Postby Mittur » 05 Jul 2016, 10:46

I've been playing a lot of ladder recently, and as Cybran since that's the faction that seems to be in style. I have a few questions on some things that I think have been hindering my skill, and I am hoping that you forumgoers can give me a bit of help. These are problems I'm trying to address from a strictly 1v1 lens, since I think I've addressed these at least passably in my teamplay, and 1v1 is a weakness of mine.

1. What are some good rules of thumb for balancing eco and unit production? I tend to either overinvest in either units or eco, and I have trouble finding the right balance. Though there are probably some important map and situation dependent factors to consider, are there any general rules that would be helpful on most ladder maps?

2. How do I use my army comp to bring all the unique Cybran advantages to the table? I know there are Decievers and Hoplites at the T2 stage, among other things, but I'm always reluctant to use them because I'm not sure if it's better to spend the mass in Rhinos. Plus, I've heard advice on putting Medusas in armies at the T2 stage, but I'm not sure of what ratio I should have them in compared to my other units. Any tips?

3. What's a good time for transitioning from T2 to T3? I know the general rule that you should only do it if you feel your current units can protect you until you can get the T3 units out on the field, but is it generally to do the switch as soon as the opportunity arises? How badly can hasty teching backfire, assuming that the tech-up completes without putting your ACU in any imminent danger?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mittur

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Mittur

Re: 1v1 questions

Postby Mot » 05 Jul 2016, 13:06

if you are not sure how much to eco just eco as much as the oponent.

hoplites are a nieche unit that takes alot of micro to shine
some deceivers, moles, some more medusa and the rest can be rhinos or bricks, also don't forget flak.
you can just put aside a single factory for support units for ease of use.
1t1 1 mole 5 medus
1t2 1cloak 2 flak 1 mml maybe...
and then the rest just dps

easy guideline for tech can be scout hostile tech early and react to it in time, don't forget tot stop mantis and rhino production once you start your bricks rolling.
Mot

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby lextoc » 05 Jul 2016, 14:56

Why don't you ask one of the personal trainers that can't wait to dedicate their time to you?:)

http://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?tit ... s#Trainers

Just hit them up in chat when they are online!
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby biass » 05 Jul 2016, 15:01

You're over thinking it, if you have no mass, you can either A: turn off factories (use less) or reclaim stuff (gain more) a good idea is to try and fight for map control and then when you have an advantage turn that Into mexs, also try not to toss units away because units are also mass gifts for whoever claims the aftermath

2: you are most definelty going to want to have stealth AND vipers as much as you can, other then that? Probably just rhino and medusa, ratios don't matter too much, flak is also very good to have and perhaps some hoplites if you have the amp to pay attention

3:go t3 if your strat is to rush it, or if you have mass to pump it out, you'll need to really commit to each tech stage and put build power on it to get it up fast so an advice might be to do it if you have a big reclaim pile

Hope this helps, I would play you but my net is straight up 100% dead

f*** telstra
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Hawkei » 05 Jul 2016, 17:42

Mittur wrote:1. What are some good rules of thumb for balancing eco and unit production? ...
2. How do I use my army comp to bring all the unique Cybran advantages to the table?...
3. What's a good time for transitioning from T2 to T3? ...

While I am reasonably good at ladder ( and currently hold the title of WWPC U1500 Champion ;) ) I only play Cybran when it comes up in random faction selections. My usual preferences are UEF and Aeon. So I can only speak in general terms.

The first rule with balancing eco is to manage your power levels. Build enough power to keep everything running, and for what you plan to do. Building too much power will easily get you killed. One useful trick I use is to memorise how much power each factory needs to produce at T1, and T2 and build this amount of power beside it. I mix the power and factory build into the one build que for an engineer - I so I always know that I'm getting the right amount of power.

As for the balance between eco and units, there isn't an easy answer - but if ecoing results in you getting killed then this isn't a good option. Also, if ecoing would prevent you from mustering sufficient aggression to put you in a better overall position - it is also not a good choice. In part you want to factor your opponents investment level. But also consider defensive stance and unit selections. Defences are more cost effective, and will allow you to put an extra bit into eco. But using mobility or tactical weapons can bypass them... No easy answers, this only comes from experience.

As for the Cybran army composition I can't give you great answers. I think others here have covered this quite well. I do know that Decievers are perhaps the best early T2 unit for supporting a T1 army. So consider putting Decievers and Vipers forward in your T2 build Priority.

As for good time for Tech transition, this is much the same as for eco. The answer comes from experience. It could safely be said that teching too early can get you killed, and should only be done when safe to do so. There are times when there is a definite need for tech, and you should never allow your opponent the tech advantage for very long during a match.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Return to Tactics/strategy help