Build Orders Topic is solved

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Build Orders

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 12 May 2016, 01:59

So, I find myself often having single unit armies - just tanks, just bots, just tanks+bots, etc. I see people mix in T1 arty and MAA and armies do better than mine. I tried a few different queued orders on T1, like the following:
tank
tank tank arty
tank tank tank tank tank scout
tank tank tank scout
tank tank tank arty
tank tank tank tank tank arty arty arty MAA MAA - used this vs. AI in Vanilla, never had enough micro to set it up
1 fac doing tank+arty, 4 separate ones doing just tanks

Results are:
lack of MAA and MA
Not enough tanks - MA is not accurate enough for mobile units
Not enough scouts - they rush ahead and die
Relatively good but too many scouts start to appear after a while. And MAA is lacking
Relatively good
Never tested vs. players
Probably the best option but that 1 fac I use for tech rush so it is mostly busy with other orders

Any advice?I play only UEF.
Last edited by Lieutenant Lich on 12 May 2016, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Re: Build Orders

Postby ZLO_RD » 12 May 2016, 02:09

LichKing2033 wrote:...
tank tank tank tank tank scout
tank tank tank scout
Results are:
Not enough scouts - they rush ahead and die
Relatively good but too many scouts start to appear after a while. And MAA is lacking

lol, so 4 tanks + 1 scout should be good right?
honestly i always make few scouts early on, like tank, engy, scout on repeat from my 1rst fac for some time, then i go for 5 tank + 1 scout just cause you can queue that quickly :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby angus000 » 12 May 2016, 02:50

I usually go either

5 tanks 1 scout 1 arty
or
5 tanks 1 scout

and they do just fine. You dont really need MAA since inties are several times better; you might want to add them only if you dont go air factory.
Also, for aeon is better to make 3 tanks 1 scout since they REALLY need those scouts.

If your scouts are dying because they arrive earlier than your tanks, then you might want to recheck your micro.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby biass » 12 May 2016, 07:34

scouts rushing ahead and dying = ur fault

mix depends, am i sera or cybran? more arty
am i aeon? more tanks + scouts if not radar creeping + maybe more aa
am i uef? more pillars :P (less arty imo, lobo...)
am i vs aeon? more arty

idk, just scout'n'react
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby lextoc » 12 May 2016, 11:41

The answer to this question can be found in replays, not that I mind you posting it here. Just giving you heads up...
I'm watching you!
lextoc
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 227 times
FAF User Name: lextoc

Postby TheKoopa » 12 May 2016, 13:19

/me pokes lextoc
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Hawkei » 12 May 2016, 14:26

This is strongly faction dependent. As has been said before, and generally depends on what you intend doing. Most players would suggest that an army should consist almost entirely of tanks. As these are your damage dealing units in army vs. army encounters. Generally, the T1 MAA is rather useless, and is a highly situational tool. It shouldn't be included in your spam BO unless you are facing dedicated air plays. Build T1 MAA only as required, and only in response to specific threats.

Including artillery will often allow you to break through T1 PD - and being held up by these is never a good thing. So I always ensure that my T1 armies always have at least one artillery. You should be mindful that too much artillery, with some factions, will weaken your army and should be avoided. Artillery should be minimised with Cybran and Aeon. UEF and Seraphim T1 arty perform acceptably well in front line combat, so they can be more liberally included with these factions.

An army should always have at least 1 or 2 scouts, as this is a vital tool when operating outside of radar coverage. Some armies are much more dependant on radar, such as the Aeon Aurora, or any of the artillery units. Even at T2 and T3 stages it is important to maintain T1 scouts in your army. Some of the direct fire tanks such as Strikers, Mantis, and Thaam can operate effectively without scouts. So they are not essential in these cases. Any raiding force will obviously need a scout to acquire targets.

My typical BO's
1st Factory - 3 eng, 2 LAB, 1 scout, 2 LAB 1 scout, 2 eng, 2 LAB, 1 scout, 2 LAB 1 scout, 2 tank, 2 eng, 2 tank, 2 eng...
T1 Land Spam - 1 scout, 5 tank, 1 arty
T1 Air Patrol Spam - 6 interceptor, 1 air scout
T2 Land Spam - 1 scout, 1 arty, 6 T2 tank, 1 T2 MAA, 1 T2 MML, 1 mobile shield, 1 Sparky (if UEF)

The mobility, ranged, and raiding units (such as LAB, T2 ranged bot, and Titan as UEF) should rarely be spammed into a main army. They should be build as required and operated as a smaller and separate fighting force. Using these units in your main army is highly situational.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby angus000 » 12 May 2016, 16:49

Wait, biass says cybran arty is good to have but not lobo, and hawkei says the opposite.

Aren't they equally shit at T1 stage? Lobo has poor fire rate but is good enough against pds, medusa dies 3 times before it can take a pd, but is better against spam, right?

Also medusa is good at t2.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby Astrofoo » 12 May 2016, 17:10

Lobos are exceptional against bases. You want to include them in your army for runbys into enemy bases and such. Medusas are arguably the best or worse thing to mix into your army. Terrible at killing pds their firing randomness and stun effect in large numbers allow them to massively alter large battles at t1 and t2 stages.
"So now everything without a shield is gonna die, and everything with a shield is gonna die a little later." -TA4Life on the Mavor
Astrofoo
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Astrofoo911

Postby TheKoopa » 12 May 2016, 17:56

There's 2 sides to Medusa. On one side they are bad against pds defended by an army, on the other you can just run them in if there are no units as they will stun the pd
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help