UEF T2/T3 navy vs subs

Moderator: PhilipJFry

UEF T2/T3 navy vs subs

Postby tallian2 » 26 Feb 2016, 11:34

I had a game on Settons as beach player recently where I did well in the t1 navy game then lost at t2\t3.

Opponent sent a bunch of t1 subs to take out my navy factories, I countered, successfully, with torp bombers and then used the reclaim to get to t2. Unfortunately not early enough, second fight was in middle of ocean and was mutual destruction, I killed most of his subs, but he had better surface war shops.

By now we both had t3, I had battle cruisers and destroyers, vs his t3 subs, which just slowly chewed through my navy.

I thought destroyers were the counter to subs, but my ally was screaming at me to make torpedo boats (by the time I changed it was too late). On a similar note, what are coopers for, it destroyers counter subs?

Thanks

Tall
Last edited by tallian2 on 27 Oct 2016, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.
tallian2
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Tallian2

Re: UEF T2/T3 navy vs subs

Postby JenZor » 26 Feb 2016, 11:46

UEF have the Cooper.
A bunch of Coopers covered by Bulwarks eat T2 Subs for breakfast.

T2 Subs are a nice put pressure on UEF so you have to set on Torp Bomber and Coopers as a UEF Player.
I played a lot of games on setons as cybran and destroyed the UEF mirror just by spamming T2 Subs. Destroyer and battle cruiser sunk one by one.

Also spamming riptides and ignoring his subs might work as Long as you dont let hin destroy your factories with those subs.

my 2 cents
JenZor
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: JenZor

Postby Comrade_Shamrock » 26 Feb 2016, 13:09

I don't think riptides would work really. They are amphibious but not hover so they can be shot by torpedoes same as as both Cybran and UEF engis. At least I think they can.
Comrade_Shamrock

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times
FAF User Name: Comrade_Shamrock

Postby tallian2 » 26 Feb 2016, 13:31

Thanks,

Forgot to mention that enemy had t3 subs.

Riptides are hover, but the other guy had some surface ships, mostly cruisers, so not a viable option to avoid subs.

Thanks.
tallian2
Crusader

Postby JaggedAppliance » 26 Feb 2016, 14:27

Destros are normally good vs subs but UEF are different. Their destro has bad torps but they have the cooper which is the best anti-sub unit. Make coopers and protect them with shield boats. If you can, torp bombers are very good as well vs t3 subs.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby tallian2 » 26 Feb 2016, 14:49

Thanks,

I read somewhere that for UEF the best navy was torpedo boats and cruisers with a couple of shield boats mixed in. Which I used for ages as a default build it I did not know what I was facing.

But then I read an article on counters that strongly suggested destroyers when faced with subs.

So does a UEF destroyer have a use then?

Tall
tallian2
Crusader

Postby JaggedAppliance » 26 Feb 2016, 16:48

Uef destro isn't great but it has good above water firepower for killing other destros and frigs and hover tanks. Just don't rely on its torps like you would for other factions' destros.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 28 Feb 2016, 03:31

Comrade_Shamrock wrote:I don't think riptides would work really. They are amphibious but not hover so they can be shot by torpedoes same as as both Cybran and UEF engis. At least I think they can.

If you have 20 riptides vs. 4 destros, riptides will rip the destros apart, unless destros are running away. Then riptides are at a disadvantage. Problem is: riptides are too expensive and build too slowly to be used successfully against navy. They may do good against weak shore defense but if your enemy is spamming T2 navy and is moving it - they are useless. And yes, they do hover and are invulnerable to subs.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby tallian2 » 28 Feb 2016, 10:50

Thanks for the replies,

I usually have a few riptides in my base for defense. As they can deal with drops, or assist with navy.

Been doing a bit of research, not sire if I misread an article or found a dodgy one, but I had been working on the thinking that the cooper could deal, effectively, with surface and subsurface threats while the cruiser could deal with surface and air threat. I would usually build 5:5:2 cooper:cruiser:shield.

So I will be changing that to be something link 2:1 destroyer:cruiser with a cooper and a shield boat for every five other ships.

Tall
tallian2
Crusader

Return to Tactics/strategy help