Faction Power Curves

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Faction Power Curves

Postby Blodir » 18 Feb 2016, 15:36

Hi, I thought some people would find it interesting to see my opinion on current power levels of factions in 1v1, so without further ado this is how I would rank the factions:

4 being the best and 1 being the worst at that phase of the game.

A short overview
Early T1: Mantis are able to raid very well due to their fast movement speed, Auroras have hard time catching up due to their slow movement speed. Striker and Thaam are very even.
Late T1: Speed doesn't matter as much anymore when there are enough units in the battlefield to prevent raids. Auroras can abuse their range advantage effectively. Cybran's are still strong due to Medusa stun + in big battles inaccuracy doesn't matter as much anymore
Early T2: Ilshavoh are still the strongest t2 bot. Medusa is still useful in t2 stage (due to stun) which smooths out cybran t1-t2 transition. Obsidians are weak when there are still many t1 units on the field, because of overkill
Late T2: Obsidians become much better now that there are less t1 units on the field
Early T3: Harbingers dominate with their fast speed and damage output, this is the single biggest powerspike for any faction. Cybran can use Loyalists similarly, which is why they come as second place. Percivals suffer from the same problem as Obsidians, slow and tons of overkill. Also Titans kind of suck. Seraphim is only downhill from here, Othuums are bad in every way and sniperbots work only situationally
Late T3: Now it's mostly t3 bots and there likely won't be much raiding anymore, so Percivals dominate. Bricks are also good. Both Aeon and Seraphim are far behind in this phase of the game
Experimental: Early on fast Monkeylord can end the game, and even later if they go unseen due to their stealth. Megalith dominates direct fire experimental fights if microed properly + it also is able to reclaim the wrecks of exps it just killed! The Galactic Colossus is way stronger than Ythotha, especially if you hug it as a good abus... khrm micro-master should. Fatboys can be pretty strong actually as long as the UEF player survives the initial direct fire experimental - which is often not the case.

Feel free to ask questions

Yes I am well aware that this kind of representation of power curves has a few problems (like not showing how significant the differences between each faction are)
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Re: Faction Power Curves

Postby Aulex » 18 Feb 2016, 15:42

I think uef should be above aeon in the experimental stage seeing how there is a good chance there will be plenty of percies to stop any direct fire experimental allowing the fatboy to harass. I feel that there should be an early experimental stage and late experimental stage on there, and also game ender.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby cmd_Cheese » 18 Feb 2016, 15:48

What "game ender" Land units are there though, after late experimental? Or do you refer to the late experiemntals, in times where nukes(and arty) are fired around like mad?
cmd_Cheese

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cmd_Cheese

Postby Blodir » 18 Feb 2016, 15:50

Aulex wrote:I think uef should be above aeon in the experimental stage seeing how there is a good chance there will be plenty of percies to stop any direct fire experimental allowing the fatboy to harass. I feel that there should be an early experimental stage and late experimental stage on there, and also game ender.

I thought about that, but honestly I'm not sure I've ever seen fatboy used effectively in a 1v1 game. It's very good in theory, and in teamgames, but in 1v1 GCs find much more use. If I did put in a early/late exp stage I would've ranked UEF as first on the late part. This is only for land strength, not for overall strength, so I don't think game enders would really fit in

I might expand to air/naval/overall strength in the future
Blodir
Contributor

Postby Mot » 18 Feb 2016, 15:54

how come that the faction with no lab is not last in early t1?
Mot

Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: MayorDamage

Postby Blodir » 18 Feb 2016, 15:56

Mot wrote:how come that the faction with no lab is not last in early t1?

Labs and Selens kinda cancel each other out, both are nice to have, but not essential
Blodir
Contributor

Postby cmd_Cheese » 18 Feb 2016, 15:57

Downside of uef is that there is no tanky offensive exp. While the fatty is nice on maps like thermo, or against a tanky opponent, the fatty just has all so many downsides. Cheesy stuff like tmls, can kill a fatty easily due to the slow speed and the flat big structure. Air also is a big problem.

To use a fatty offensively you need to have air, the enemy can't have tml a lot, there cant be either a huge mobile force of t2/t3, and there can be no experimental either. So if you have all that, you might just win the game otherwise.

Only real reason to build a fatty is for bombardment of turtles imo.
cmd_Cheese

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: cmd_Cheese

Postby Mel_Gibson » 18 Feb 2016, 16:09

Since Blodir's graph excluded beetles I've created a beetle inclusive special edition.
j6hREti.png
j6hREti.png (49.39 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
Mel_Gibson

Has liked: 694 times
Been liked: 186 times

Postby ZLO_RD » 19 Feb 2016, 00:18

Medusas are still spammed in late t2 stage, so obsidians are usually pretty bad still, also rhino outrange obsidian so you naturally try to retreat with cybran army and by that you also kite with t1 arty
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby JaggedAppliance » 19 Feb 2016, 00:52

I'd put UEF ahead of sera for early t1 for the mechmarine and i prefer the striker to thaam.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Next

Return to Tactics/strategy help