How do I Seraphim?

Moderator: PhilipJFry

How do I Seraphim?

Postby Kalavinka » 25 Jan 2016, 17:16

Howdy there, new player looking to take up Seraphim because I love my underappreciated space-Cthulhu robutts.

The issue is that I have no clue what I'm doing.

Okay, that isn't fair to say. I've been studying this past day and I've written down a lot of faction counter-strategies to employ as Seraphim, and I've also learned to use their T2 assault bots a hell of a lot and to not rely on Othuums. Basically? I know the standard rules of thumb: T1-T2 Seraphim good, T3 bad, T4 gooooood.

But I still don't quite know how to incorporate these into strategies. I'd like to hear what better Seraphim players do for their battle plan, receive some tips and tricks and maybe even some links to any rare and elusive Seraphim guides that might actually exist somewhere out there.

In specific: What should I focus on doing with my Land, Air and Naval in T1, T2 and T3?
Kalavinka
Crusader

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Kalavinka

Re: How do I Seraphim?

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 25 Jan 2016, 17:48

Welcome!

Some useful tips in here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10727

I would say don't worry too much about executing a particular strategy but try to get a feel for what works and what doesn't You will make common mistakes, overbuilding power, not enough power, not enough reclaim, forget TMD, switch tech at the wrong time, and most probably you're going to leave your ACU exposed and he will get swarmed, TML'd and bombed. But it doesn't matter, you are going to become a better player because of it. :mrgreen:
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Kalavinka » 25 Jan 2016, 18:18

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:Welcome!

Some useful tips in here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10727

I would say don't worry too much about executing a particular strategy but try to get a feel for what works and what doesn't You will make common mistakes, overbuilding power, not enough power, not enough reclaim, forget TMD, switch tech at the wrong time, and most probably you're going to leave your ACU exposed and he will get swarmed, TML'd and bombed. But it doesn't matter, you are going to become a better player because of it. :mrgreen:

Thank you! That's just the right attitude to have. Jeez though, Seraphim really seems to have been nerfbombed to robot hell.

Practice makes perfect. I'll try what I can and see how it goes. These are good general tips about intel, and they nicely integrate with some of the counter-strategies I prepared.
Kalavinka
Crusader

Postby yorick » 25 Jan 2016, 20:44

That other thread might be a bit opinionated, in this forum you can probably find threads for every single unit being overpowered/useless. That being said i sometimes feel seraphim a bit underwhelming esp. vs cybran t2/t3 ( since 99% of ladder players are cybran, no other cases need to be considered :D ), but it certainly is not as bad as stated in the other thread.

As you said their main characteristic for land is that their t2 stronger the average and their t3 being fairly weak ( mainly for a lack of range). My personal rules of thumb based on that were ( they may be more or less influenced by my playstyle, so take that with a pinch of salt):
  • Since the t2 land stage is nice, i'd advise to eco loads here, so that you start the t3 stage with an advantage.
  • Maybe even upgrade t3 land first, othuums are good a against t2 land units. They have trouble against the other t3 bots ( mainly bricks and percys), but if you have a numerical advantage from the start this can be equalized to some degree.
  • t2 transports dropping t2 bots + t1 arty behind the enemy lines can be really good
  • Selens can be really nice, you can get invisible intel on incoming raids and even get vision in the enemy expansions if you leave 1-2 selens hidden in the enemy expansions after every push or even hide them there early on.
    <shameless selfpromotion> i made a ui-mod called selen deselect that can help immensly for this by preventing you from accidently moving your cloaked selens and thus revealing their presence </>
their navy is good, their frigates are a bit weaker then the cybran ones but compareable. Seraphim destroyer is argueably the best ( if micro'ed) and their cruiser has some nice long range missiles to take out expansions.

Since inties/asf and gunships( except the cybran one) are basicaly the same, i'll just go over the bombers:
  • best t1 bomber
  • ok t2 bomber, not so good for sniping ACUs, but can be used to kill t2 power/mexes
  • best t3 bomber imo, 2nd biggest aoe and high enough damage to kill a t2 mex in one pass
  • good transports with higher health and unit capacity ( not quite sure here)
yorick

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: yorick

Postby Zock » 25 Jan 2016, 22:59

gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby IceDreamer » 26 Jan 2016, 03:48

I know you shouldn't like troll-posts, but... Zock, that was perfect :lol:
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Kalavinka » 26 Jan 2016, 11:48

yorick wrote:[*] Selens can be really nice, you can get invisible intel on incoming raids and even get vision in the enemy expansions if you leave 1-2 selens hidden in the enemy expansions after every push or even hide them there early on.
<shameless selfpromotion> i made a ui-mod called selen deselect that can help immensly for this by preventing you from accidently moving your cloaked selens and thus revealing their presence </>[/list]

Oh my god I require this immediately. Please give.

yorick wrote:[*] good transports with higher health and unit capacity ( not quite sure here)[/list]

That's right, their T1s have 8 slots and their T2s have a whopping 16 slots (unless this changed from vanilla). I wasn't aware of the higher health or most of what you listed otherwise though, so thank you! Good to know.

Zock wrote:http://www.kfc.com/menu/chicken/original-recipe

T2 airdrop Rambo Seraphim Commander: Who says chickens can't fly?
Kalavinka
Crusader

Postby TheKoopa » 26 Jan 2016, 14:54

The sera t1 arty, while more expensive than the other ones, can hover and is usually regarded as the best arty.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby ZLO_RD » 26 Jan 2016, 15:51

Selen deselect mod is in vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD