Bugfixes

Re: Bugfixes

Postby Ze_PilOt » 04 Feb 2014, 21:28

errorblankfield wrote:"It's hard to fix. Deal with it."

Well that's that I suppose.

If you are talking of the beam weapon, it's not hard, it's impossible.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby errorblankfield » 04 Feb 2014, 22:22

Ze_PilOt wrote:
errorblankfield wrote:"It's hard to fix. Deal with it."

Well that's that I suppose.

If you are talking of the beam weapon, it's not hard, it's impossible.

I wasn't.

It was in reference to his first sentence.
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Feb 2014, 00:23

Again, it means we don't know how. QED: Right now, it's impossible.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby errorblankfield » 05 Feb 2014, 02:39

IceDreamer wrote:Again, it means we don't know how. QED: Right now, it's impossible.

There is a difference between saying 'I don't know how to fix it. Feel free to look at it but it don't think it's worth the effort right now.' and 'It's hard to fix. Deal with it.'

I don't care which way he wants to come off. But hearing 'It's hard so deal with it' from a major contributor just sounds terrible. This is literally someone saying 'Hey, so and so isn't working' being met with 'deal with it, I can't be bothered to fix it'.

Not a vibe I care for. I honestly don't think he meant it that way, but it's how it sounded to me.
errorblankfield
Priest

Postby Yama_Dharma » 05 Feb 2014, 10:23

You probably didnt play in gpg where we had a one ultra-bugged version for 4 years. "Omg SCUs dont do stuff after teleorting".
Yama_Dharma
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Yama_Dharma

Postby Ze_PilOt » 05 Feb 2014, 10:26

errorblankfield wrote:
IceDreamer wrote:Again, it means we don't know how. QED: Right now, it's impossible.

There is a difference between saying 'I don't know how to fix it. Feel free to look at it but it don't think it's worth the effort right now.' and 'It's hard to fix. Deal with it.'

I don't care which way he wants to come off. But hearing 'It's hard so deal with it' from a major contributor just sounds terrible. This is literally someone saying 'Hey, so and so isn't working' being met with 'deal with it, I can't be bothered to fix it'.

Not a vibe I care for. I honestly don't think he meant it that way, but it's how it sounded to me.

There are probably more important stuff to do than fixing that. That's what he meant.

If you have a clue how to fix it, it will obviously be included in the next patch.
As it involve hacking around the engine to make it work, it will probably be at best kind of working.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 05 Feb 2014, 11:23

I will even add that I find it better for gameplay that SCU cannot do that. It is quite clear that GPG intended SCU teleport to be weaker than ACU teleport (time to teleport was double in FA) and I assume they purposefully didn't make it possible for SCU to prepare orders before teleporting. Why? Because it would be too easy to make a diversion with for instance an air attack somewhere else, while your SCU carefully prepared to TML a nuke defense or a t3 pgen, build a shield and a firebase, etc. In the current situation, you have to do the diversion and micro your SCU at the same time, the same way the player on the recieving end has to deal with the diversion and the SCU. It's more fair this way. Being able to do it with ACU is ok, because it's far more risky, it's a big gamble.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Gorton » 05 Feb 2014, 15:09

I think we should just remember that pip never said "Deal with it" in his post, and that errorblankfield misquoted him to make him look bad
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby errorblankfield » 05 Feb 2014, 15:38

Gorton wrote:I think we should just remember that pip never said "Deal with it" in his post, and that errorblankfield misquoted him to make him look bad

pip wrote:SCU not doing their queued order after telporting is hard to fix. Just baby sit them after teleporting, that's not that hard.

I'm not trying to hide anything, I paraphrased. My entire point is that he said this horribly wrong and it came off flippant and non-carrying. As such, the best why to express that was to paraphrase the subtext.
Also, my intent wasn't to shame pip, it was to remind how things sound a lot different in your head then on text. As I said, he likely didn't mean to come of that way -but he did to me (at first). My only goal was to bring that up cause the leadership in this game tend to forget the view looking from the outside in.

Now you on the other hand are trying to make me look bad by putting words in my mouth. There is a huge difference between paraphrasing and misquoting.

You should know by know Gorton. I speak my mind and I don't lie or sugarcoat it.

On topic: My point was made. I don't really see the logic in 'SCU is suppose to have a weaker telly, so this is okay' (again, paraphrased gorts). I don't use the things enough to care (cybran XD) but still think it's worth fixing later on. I don't see a huge balance impact and it's an inconsistency.
I can also never agree that queing up orders the way you plan can ever be a balance issue. Queing is a trade for APM now for APM later that is set in stone -mostly. The ratio isn't even and the tradeoff is perfect. That said, this is another discussion for which this isn't time or place for.

Cheers!
:mrgreen:
errorblankfield
Priest

Postby betelgeuze » 05 Feb 2014, 16:30

@pip: On preset SCU. I think in my last game I saw the symbol for one specific upgrade next to the Icon in the Infobox for an Enemy SCU. I will make a screenshot, but that will take until sunday.
betelgeuze

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: betelgeuze

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3629