MML Eversong + Ithisah: hoplite/mongoose counter

Moderator: pip

Re: MML Eversong + Ithisah: hoplite/mongoose counter

Postby Hawkei » 04 Jul 2013, 02:59

Ithilis_Quo wrote:
Firewall wrote: Suggesting balance changes is really the domain of more experienced players. First learn how to use your units to their maximum potential. Then talk about balance.

4years playing supcom, 1950 rating in GPG nick: Fhobos_EZ, you can be sure that i know units and they position.

Fine. I respect that you have some experience. But you seem to be discarding a whole faction wholesale. When really Aeon do have some good units. The great thing about Aeon is that everything works well, in its intended role. But they are in some respects vunerable when it comes to frontline combat. So Aeon strategy needs to adapt. You can't expect to steamroll with Aeon, like you do with UEF or Cybran. It requires a different game style.

^^ You should watch the replay I linked the the previous comment. That should give you some idea.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Re: MML Eversong + Ithisah: hoplite/mongoose counter

Postby Mycen » 04 Jul 2013, 20:04

I think Firewall rather adroitly explained why your homing missile idea is not a good one, but as far as my point...

Ithilis_Quo wrote:
Mycen wrote:And for that matter, why wouldn't the Serpentine, Silencer, and Torrent get homing missile options too? It's all the same weapon...

No, where you see that in my suggestion? I talk only about sera/aeon mml, not serpentine, serpentine take diferent dmg like mml, you think thats same wepon ? 6000 vs 600 vs 800 ?

Yes, they have different amounts of damage (because they are on different platforms) but they are the same weapon, they are all cruise missiles.

Part of what makes games like this straightforward to play is that across unit classes weapons all behave the same way. I know that if I have a striker, a pillar, a triad, a valiant, a summit, or a fatboy, they all have gauss cannons, and so they all will fire a projectile with moderate damage in a low arc. I can tell this just by looking at the weapon and what it shoots out. I don't need to remember that the pillar and triad will shoot out straight, but the summit's shells will zigzag to track its target.

Regularity of behavior within weapon types is a good thing, not something to be discarded because you want units to be given new and inappropriate roles. There are not unit upgrades in supcom to keep the focus on commanding armies rather than individual units. There are not (with a few noteworthy exceptions) varying fire modes for the same reason.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Previous

Return to Patch 3626 beta