Balance team beta patch changelog

Moderator: pip

Re: Balance team beta patch changelog

Postby Lu_Xun_17 » 21 Jul 2013, 10:15

Hi there!
I hope you are having some cool holidays!
I just wanted to warn you about this 4.3 speed. 4 was already a huge buff.
the other fixes look ok.
Cu!
Lu_Xun_17
Contributor

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: LuXy

Postby StefanD_ » 21 Jul 2013, 12:23

Did u reduced the strat sub cost? Its insane...
StefanD_

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: RO_StefanD_

Postby CrazedChariot » 21 Jul 2013, 15:45

Lu_Xun_17 wrote:Hi there!
I hope you are having some cool holidays!
I just wanted to warn you about this 4.3 speed. 4 was already a huge buff.
the other fixes look ok.
Cu!

Blaze dps was nerfed to balance the speed increase. Yenzine could possibly be the worst overall unit in the game. We will continue to test, but the values do not seem overpowered in games / sandbox.

The idea was to make the t2 tanks a tiny bit slower, to allow range bots and t1 swarms to deal with them. Sera and Aeon can now use these faster hover tanks to chase down range bots. The end result is much more diversity in tech 1/2 stages.

For example, Aeon vs Cybran.

Aeon player spams t1 aurora, Cybran player goes quick t2 for Hops, Aeon matches t2 while giving back some map and counters Hops with blaze, Cybran makes rhinos to deal with blaze, Aeon can counter with shielded aurora + obsidian. This is more linear than a real game, but its just an example of possible flow. The game will settle down into mixed armies, and the better mix / micro / scouting should win.
CrazedChariot
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: CrazedChariot

Postby pip » 22 Jul 2013, 22:32

New (and maybe last?) version uploaded : 3626.18:
- snipers strategic icons changed from a + to a - (straight horizontal line) to distinguish them from Harbingers.
- armored assault bots icons changed from a + to a x to distinguish them from Loyalists anf Titans.

Thanks to errorblankfield for his fast help!

Ideally, it would be better if the patch became official with the UEF HQ models, but since it's fully playable, maybe it's not necessary to wait for them. I don't know when Rienzilla will have time to incorporate the new models.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Jul 2013, 22:36

Still need the lobby restrictions for Support factories.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby IceDreamer » 23 Jul 2013, 00:10

New models?!?! You what?!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Hawkei » 23 Jul 2013, 04:32

pip wrote:New (and maybe last?) version uploaded : 3626.18:
- snipers strategic icons changed from a + to a - (straight horizontal line) to distinguish them from Harbingers.
- armored assault bots icons changed from a + to a x to distinguish them from Loyalists anf Titans.

Ideally, it would be better if the patch became official with the UEF HQ models, but since it's fully playable, maybe it's not necessary to wait for them. I don't know when Rienzilla will have time to incorporate the new models.

Interesting. You should make certain that the "-" Sniper symbol is not confused with the reconissance symbol for the scout. But I am begining to see the similarity and the reason why you picked it. Generally though, the more iconic sniper symbol would be a composite of "0" and "+" to give the sniper crosshair.

As for the AAB, you could consider a composite of the nato symbols. By putting a circle around the "+" symbol. Which is perhaps more indicative of an AAB and more consistent with NATO strategic icon nomenclature.

An interesting bit of reading on NATO strategic icons can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Military_Symbols_for_Land_Based_Systems
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby pip » 23 Jul 2013, 07:24

Firewall wrote:
pip wrote:New (and maybe last?) version uploaded : 3626.18:

Interesting. You should make certain that the "-" Sniper symbol is not confused with the reconissance symbol for the scout. But I am begining to see the similarity and the reason why you picked it. Generally though, the more iconic sniper symbol would be a composite of "0" and "+" to give the sniper crosshair.

As for the AAB, you could consider a composite of the nato symbols. By putting a circle around the "+" symbol. Which is perhaps more indicative of an AAB and more consistent with NATO strategic icon nomenclature.

An interesting bit of reading on NATO strategic icons can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Military_Symbols_for_Land_Based_Systems

Errorblankfiel also made a symbol with a + and a square around it (circle if you want), but it is not that easy to distinguish from directfire units which also use a +, especially when you have a dark team colour. The strat icons are very simple, an horizontal line is much more simple and easy to check at a glace. Same for the armored assault bots : the x symbol is very easy to see, it's not used, so it's a good enough one.
pip
Supreme Commander

Postby errorblankfield » 23 Jul 2013, 09:27

For reference, the cross hair icon I made for artillery in my icon mod was the one I suggested for the sniper. (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4373)

When the update goes live, I'll update the mod giving you the option for the more nato friendly version.

And if you make a detailed request, I could be persuaded to change other icons if you'd like.

*Not discussing which which icon I prefer. Since mods are easy to do, I'm indifferent and the dash is simpler.*
errorblankfield
Priest

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: errorblankfield

Postby pip » 23 Jul 2013, 17:07

New version uploaded 3626.19 (real release candidate):
- UEF HQ factories models added
- Unit restrictions for Support Factories added (it makes the possibility to play without engy mod main feature)

Please test a bit, and if everything is fine, this can go live.

NB: I didn't add the fix for Hives, because it's in the repository and will be merged.
I didn't change the fx for Cerberus and rhino either. I personnally prefer the new ones, but it's a matter of taste. I guess if most of the (conservative) community wants the old fx back, it's better to do it, but since this release also adds numerous fx improvements, maybe it's a good opportunity to improve this one as well.
pip
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3626 beta