LABs are demonstrably UP

Moderator: pip

Re: LABs are demonstrably UP

Postby Nombringer » 07 Jun 2013, 07:51

Golol wrote:micro possibilities for labs shouldnt be too high
you cant clunter mirco. if an engi is protected by a tank the tank shouls always kill a lab.
the micro could make it survive a bjt longer but not long enough to kill a tank. that would be bad for gameplay imo

I would just like them to be able to consistently kill tanks 2v1 when micro'd. I agree, one lab should not be able to kill a tank.

Buff hp does nothing IMO, we don't want large armies of labs, they are a raiding unit.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Veta » 07 Jun 2013, 10:09

they are underpowered.
FA is a game of economic micromanagement (what StarCraft players mistakenly call 'macro') and tactical trumping (e.g. T2 PD countering T1 Spam).
Veta

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tex » 08 Jun 2013, 01:46

Yay sera labs!
TBH, I dont see the point in buffing LABs, they are meant to run around tanks and kill engis, not kill tanks. Its like complaining that my two T3 UEF titans lose to a Percival in a fight. One is meant to raid, and one is meant to fight. You don't raid with Percivals and you don't lead attacks with titans. Just like you don't lead attacks with LAB's while raiding with tanks. It has its roll, and it fits it very well. Further buffing it Nerfs Sera significantly while expanding it to a roll it doesn't need.
"It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just that you play a beautiful game."

My channel --POV gameplay-- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMfEJdmVXE6jBSuMEezEldQ
Tex

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Tex

Postby Ato0theJ » 08 Jun 2013, 05:11

Cerberus13 wrote:Yay sera labs!
TBH, I dont see the point in buffing LABs, they are meant to run around tanks and kill engis, not kill tanks. Its like complaining that my two T3 UEF titans lose to a Percival in a fight. One is meant to raid, and one is meant to fight. You don't raid with Percivals and you don't lead attacks with titans. Just like you don't lead attacks with LAB's while raiding with tanks. It has its roll, and it fits it very well. Further buffing it Nerfs Sera significantly while expanding it to a roll it doesn't need.

I think the only buff that wouldn't put labs at a disadvantage would be acceleration, and turn speed buff. Both of which annoy just as much playing as seraphim as any other faction. The combat scout should be even more agile than the labs and equal to that of a snoop or spirit with the benefits being made up for the already higher mass cost. Though this might not be enough of a buff to make it a big disadvantage to seraphim.
Ato0theJ
Contributor

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: AJ

Postby RoundTabler » 08 Jun 2013, 15:11

Ato0theJ wrote:I think the only buff that wouldn't put labs at a disadvantage would be acceleration, and turn speed buff. Both of which annoy just as much playing as seraphim as any other faction. The combat scout should be even more agile than the labs and equal to that of a snoop or spirit with the benefits being made up for the already higher mass cost. Though this might not be enough of a buff to make it a big disadvantage to seraphim.

What about build times? This has been suggested a lot in this thread. It doesn't make sense for a lab to take as long to build as a tank. I would suggest nerfing the build times to 65 - 85% of what they are now. Since this is a raiding unit, this will help it beging raiding faster. The other thing that might help would be to give it a greater vision range (to help it spot engies).
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby Kamicase » 10 Jun 2013, 09:16

I definitely agree with what Cerberus13 said.
I don't think that LAB's need a boost in vision. The idea that you either send a scout after them or you're running blind into enemy territory, hoping for the best, is to me part of the early game. It's a tradeoff. And I certainly don't think that a lab should be able to outrun the first few solid units on the field because that'd allow him to slip behind the lines and kill engineers in the main base.
Kamicase
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kamicase

Postby Hawkei » 11 Jun 2013, 08:19

HI,

I play Aeon, and I use LAB's in with my regular army spam. For the following reasons:

1. They are useful for breaking off and killing individual mexes and engineers. In need to keep my Aurora together, so little expendable squads of LAB do nicely for mopping up, or run-bys.
2. Their shorter firing range means you have an inner firing line, which kills only those tanks that come into range.
3. The Aurora are tin foil units, and I find that tanks will sometimes retarget LAB's in favour of the Aurora. If a tank is within range of my Aurora - I would rather it target LAB's - which can dance.
4. If I give a move/attack command, the Flares run ahead, to act as scouts. That way, I have time to pull the Aurora back. They've actually "saved my bacon" a couple of times :) In that siduation, I can have them dance, while a couple of Aurora sit back and snipe... Usually, they don't know they're loosing, till they're dead.
5. They are useful for bumping a retreating ACU. Because, Aurora like to stay at maximum range. I like to send the LAB's in instead.

They are good for the initial raids. However, the are less effective then they used to be. In 3599 my micro was good enough to kill several tanks with 2 (or even 1) LAB. But I have noticed in FAF, that my job is now a lot harder. I can still kill a tank class unit, with LAB, but I don't always have 100% success. If anything, I would suggest a slight increase in DPS, and reduction in build time. I'd actually like to see LAB's as a counter unit for Percies ;) But they don't really have enough DPS. I'd like to see a bit more.

Reading through everything. Yes, I agree LAB's are terribly underpowered. They are still useful in the mid to late game. But they would be more useful if they could do more damage.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Previous

Return to Patch 3626 beta