QAI concerns.

Moderator: pip

Re: QAI concerns.

Postby qai » 17 Jun 2013, 01:00

Ze_PilOt wrote:...
-Rhino, Ilshavoh, Riptides, Blazes : target Tech 3, tech 2 then Tech 1 instead of Tech 1 then tech 2 then tech 3.
Cybran Strategic sub has stealth
This is the release candidate 1 : Unless someone has a big concern, it will be the final patch.

I have 2 big concern ( big enough? :) ) about: target priority and t3 cybran strat sub

:!: 1: target priority:

Yes i understand it got changed due to the planned role change to counter tech2 bots/etc.

Example/Imagine army1:opponent1 has 10 Brick and opponent2 100 flak
army2: i have 42 Rhino and teammate got 66 tech2 gunship
i want to kill flak fast so we can use/get air so we kill acu/nuke/exp/t3arty/etc
but i cant effectively cause i have to click them manually and with this change i can kill less due to focus target/overkill

Its easier to command Rhino, Ilshavoh, Riptides, Blazes to target t3 manually then commanding them to target the lots of tech2/tech1 units. also you would/should be using t3 vs t3 opponent anyways /t3 got way more hp to make difference with tech2 dps

:idea: So instead make them -Rhino, Ilshavoh, Riptides, Blazes : target Tech 2, Tech 1 then Tech 3.
(target tech2 first cause of the changes, then target tech1 cause they can kill them fast also this was the intended setting,
then tech3 cause lots of hp -> example brick/mobileshield/battleship/etc)

note: Ilshavoh should stay as it was.
example Ilshavoh 'killing' 1x mantis 24dps / in 3 seconds is better than 'killing' 1x rhino 100dps / in 18.5 sec
also better than 'killing' 1x Brick 375dps/ in 90sec
and yet also cause of faster veterancy gain, this is true for all of those units above
target priority should stay as it was for Rhino, Ilshavoh, Riptides, Blazes but if you really want to change it we

:!: 2: t3 cybran strat sub stealth

yea sure cybran uses best/most stealth units
all changes to t3 sub ok but cybran t3 sub is not 'way more behind ;) than other faction's strat subs'
so getting a new 'ability' ?

imagine due to changes it becomes 'mobile invisible nuke launcher' (make nuke hidden somewhere then send it in to launch)
t3 sonars don't cover most maps even if u send sonar to middle of map, also seraphim has tech2 sonar only

after change you can't use sonar/torpedo bombers anymore vs cybran strat sub ( but works on aeon,uef )

sonars get useless cause you need Omni to counter vs stealthed cybran strat sub

people could use only tech3 spyplane constantly to scan whole water area for stealthed cybran nuke sub
:idea: some units didn't get stealth for a reason, all change ok but no stealthed strat sub
qai

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: QAI

Postby pip » 17 Jun 2013, 10:04

If you have 42 Rhino against against 10 Bricks and 100 flaks, you now have a serious chance to win automatically, because instead of shooting at the 100 mobile flaks first, and all die, they will kill Bricks. And if you have a brain, you don't send your gunships at 100 flaks, you attack somewhere else. Before the change, not a single brick would have even been damaged, and they would all have several vet levels for killing all the rhino. The rhino woul have killed maybe 20 flaks. Yeah, that's much better...

You make it sounds like you attack units only 1v1 and it takes 18.5 second for a Ilshavoh to kill a rhino, but it will take 3 times less if you have 3 islhavoh, and then you have a chance to kill the rhino before it comes in firing range, instead of shooting harmless t1 and lose time and DPS switching targets all the time, which buys time for the rhino to come closer and damage your islhavoh much more.

As for stealth for Cybran t3 strat sub, please provide a replay where it is used before saying it's OP. These things have less than 4000 hp, they can be killed by a handful of torp bombers + a spy plane. The other strat sub can be protected by mobile shields, Cybran can't do that. Cybran is a stealth faction and has a weak t3 navy. This is meant to give Cybran the best strat sub.

Personnally, if I see a single game won with a strat sub, it will be a great achievement, because they are probably the most underused units in the whole game. If people begin to use them / fear them, it'll add variety to the gameplay.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby qai » 17 Jun 2013, 12:32

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4121&p=46386#p46354

Spoiler: show
pip wrote:If you have 42 Rhino against against 10 Bricks and 100 flaks, you now have a serious chance to win automatically, because instead of shooting at the 100 mobile flaks first, and all die, they will kill Bricks. And if you have a brain, you don't send your gunships at 100 flaks, you attack somewhere else. Before the change, not a single brick would have even been damaged, and they would all have several vet levels for killing all the rhino. The rhino woul have killed maybe 20 flaks. Yeah, that's much better...

You make it sounds like you attack units only 1v1 and it takes 18.5 second for a Ilshavoh to kill a rhino, but it will take 3 times less if you have 3 islhavoh, and then you have a chance to kill the rhino before it comes in firing range, instead of shooting harmless t1 and lose time and DPS switching targets all the time, which buys time for the rhino to come closer and damage your islhavoh much more.

As for stealth for Cybran t3 strat sub, please provide a replay where it is used before saying it's OP. These things have less than 4000 hp, they can be killed by a handful of torp bombers + a spy plane. The other strat sub can be protected by mobile shields, Cybran can't do that. Cybran is a stealth faction and has a weak t3 navy. This is meant to give Cybran the best strat sub.

Personnally, if I see a single game won with a strat sub, it will be a great achievement, because they are probably the most underused units in the whole game. If people begin to use them / fear them, it'll add variety to the gameplay.

example was intended to be easily understandable guess i failed, (sounds like tl;dr to me)
i know its relative long but try reading fully again not just parts

its a team game not 1v1, i with the rhinos need to kill most flaks so then my teammate can use his gunships to kill enemy acu or nukelauncher (is about to launch lots of t2pd around it) or experimental (gc almost finish) etc otherwise we lose

its easier to click 10 brick then clicking 100 flak, and due to t3 units hp is more effective for my tech2 units to kill t2 or t1
cause its faster, veterancy etc

cybran can achieve stealth strat sub anyways cause they have tech2 stealth ship
this change just messes up even more underused torpbombers and gives more hassle to keep patrolling all the segments of the water
to counter stealth underwater you can use only Omni which is only tech3 spyplane
so tech2/3 torpbomber, sonar is useless. imagine this on a big water map 10km+ how you gona find 1 unit

have nothing else to say.
qai

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: QAI

Postby IceDreamer » 17 Jun 2013, 14:30

I think qai is wrong with his first couple of points, but that last thing about the stealth sub DOES have a point. They have a stealth field boat, it doesn't need the stealth. On the other hand, I also think it should be stronger than the other subs. What about greater speed (Stealth boat is much, MUCH faster)? What about an large-area EMP blast from the normal cruise missiles? What about adding the Cybran missile-split aggressor to the Cruise Missile?
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby pip » 17 Jun 2013, 15:25

ShadowKnight wrote:I think qai is wrong with his first couple of points, but that last thing about the stealth sub DOES have a point. They have a stealth field boat, it doesn't need the stealth. On the other hand, I also think it should be stronger than the other subs. What about greater speed (Stealth boat is much, MUCH faster)? What about an large-area EMP blast from the normal cruise missiles? What about adding the Cybran missile-split aggressor to the Cruise Missile?

So we should remove stealth from the Barracuda and also from Monkeylord ? Stealth is a Cybran trait. The sub already has splitting missiles. How about playing with it in game before saying it's not good to give it stealth?
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby IceDreamer » 17 Jun 2013, 23:06

pip wrote:
ShadowKnight wrote:I think qai is wrong with his first couple of points, but that last thing about the stealth sub DOES have a point. They have a stealth field boat, it doesn't need the stealth. On the other hand, I also think it should be stronger than the other subs. What about greater speed (Stealth boat is much, MUCH faster)? What about an large-area EMP blast from the normal cruise missiles? What about adding the Cybran missile-split aggressor to the Cruise Missile?

So we should remove stealth from the Barracuda and also from Monkeylord ? Stealth is a Cybran trait. The sub already has splitting missiles. How about playing with it in game before saying it's not good to give it stealth?

Strawmanning is the lowest form of rebuttal, pip. I didn't say "it's not good to give it Stealth", what I said that it "doesn't need the Stealth", emphasis on "need", meaning it isn't the only option. We knew the Sub needed something more, and Stealth was picked, but I think some of the other options are more interesting/fun. I am fine with Stealth, but I also can't deny that qai HAS got a point, it doesn't NEED Stealth, it could have something else instead.

One trait among those here I have noticed is many jumping to conclusions too fast. Cybran needs a small powerup on a unit = Give it stealth, it would seem, but if one thinks like this one leaves out options and the fun stuff doesn't make it in.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby brent_w » 17 Jun 2013, 23:39

I always liked the targeting priority because it actually made mixed units more viable.

I personally am not a fan of the spam one type of unit strategy that you see so much of.
I just don't see the gameplay benefit of discouraging variety.

But I'll happily admit I'm not the most experienced nor do I have as much stake in it as the more competitive people behind these decisions.

Mine is more of a philosophical beef.
I always viewed supcom's original identity more as a game of large armies in formation doing great battle.
So the pro's "Ok, he switched to spamming unit rock now I switch to spamming unit paper" microed clouds of units isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me. And isn't that's the most important factor? Making the battles look pretty?

... ignore me, I'm just rambling.
brent_w
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: brent_w

Postby Mycen » 21 Jun 2013, 06:45

I know I'm a little late to the topic (although it hardly matters at this point, lol) but in regards to the Cybran Strategic Missile Sub getting stealth, here is why it is entirely appropriate. You say this:

qai wrote:all changes to t3 sub ok but cybran t3 sub is not 'way more behind ;) than other faction's strat subs'
so getting a new 'ability' ?

And you're right, it's not. But you know what is? Any other option Cybrans have for game-enders.

The UEF has the Mavor and Novax as game-ending tools. The Seraphim have the Yolona Oss. The Aeon have the Paragon to produce unlimited numbers of experimental units, nukes, etc.

Since the changes to the Scathis were implemented, the Cybrans have NO options for ultra-long range attack. Right now a Cybran player, with the shortest ranged T3 arty, has no way to crack a well defended base that includes other T3 arty.

QAI, your concerns about the nigh-invulnerability of stealthed Cybran nuke subs are exactly the point. The Cybrans will now have an option that allows them to achieve strategic dominance on large maps just like all of the other factions. Far from being a bad thing, this is overdue.

You can talk about how it will be impossible to track down a single sub, and that's true, but so what? On small maps it is already relatively easy to hunt down stealthed subs with navies, and a single nuke launcher of any form is never going to break SMD. If you don't build nuke defenses until you actually see a launcher then too bad for you.

Also, when combined with the drastic range reduction to strategic missiles fired from submarines, I doubt this will pose as large a problem as you seem to think. Cybran players (players going for any massed nukes really) still will have to sink just as large an amount of resources into their planned offense as a player trying to use any other game-enders. On large maps a relative handful of patrolling naval vessels (you just need some water vision coverage) will allow a player to discover the presence of stealthed subs and act accordingly, it will just present a challenge. Players will have to figure out that they need to build lots of SMD, but it's hardly as if they can't defend against it. That sort of sneakiness is what should typify the Cybran faction.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby brent_w » 22 Jun 2013, 19:15

Mycen wrote:The UEF has the Mavor and Novax as game-ending tools.

Are you serious?

You can't be serious ...
brent_w
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: brent_w

Postby FunkOff » 23 Jun 2013, 01:29

Megalith spam is a game ender. I've never seen anything stop 10 of them.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

PreviousNext

Return to Patch 3626 beta