about the chat rules

about the chat rules

Postby tatsu » 10 Feb 2013, 16:31

I'd like to believe a certain modernisation is at hand for the chat rules and here I refer to only a single rule out of the ones uberge3k wrote : "- Non-English chat. English is the official language of main chat ."

now hear me out, I understand there is a wish to centralise things and make everyone comunicate with each other regardless of place of birth, culture or current geographical residence.
I also know this is meant to make the modderator's (probably english tongued themselves) day easyer, so as to allow them to moderate the content of chat acording to all the rules uberge3k mentioned.

But I strongly believe most people (yes most does not encompass absolutely all) are of good will and will be casual and respectfull of the chat rules when using another tongue, for say in stituations as innocent as when saying "hello".

My idea is that opening faf to other tongues will open faf to a wider public and make much more people feel welcome and more at home. I've had a couple rookies adress me saying faf was unwelcoming and I was bewildered at the satement, the only thing getting them bad first impressions (in my humble opinion) was people not wanting to hear them out or screaming "BAN HE" <-(parody) as soon as an unidentified language is present.

And this behavior is backed by the actual RULES, so there is nothing you can say, you are actually placed in a situation of wrong when you were trying to spread the reach of your curiosity to a community that claimed on places such as youtube (mostly youtube, I'd say that's how people find out about faf) ...to be welcoming.

So I think this should be put to debate, as many of you already know faf is a community strong with (from greatest number to smaller number) German; French; U.K.; U.S.; Poland; Canada, now the combination of U.S., U.K. and Canada does make for a more widespread english on faf, but it's peak connection times are undeniably in european afternoons and another thing I'd like to highlight is that a great number of faf members speak more than one tongue, sometimes three or more.

Obviously all those you see in the main chat who are from non-anglophonic countries, but there are actually much more than that.

He're my argument: I'm a very open-minded person and I love culture from all around the world, and I have the belief that in many cases a language expresses a great part of one's culture. (You wouldn't deny; for example that american english and british english each have great amounts of culture that explain each and every expression they have)

In the end I'm and english lover and I couldn't be happier about reading and speaking english in aeolus, the fact that people from all over the world are connected in that same chatroom astonishes me and I find beauty in it, I'd still like to open the debate on allowing other languages because I believe it would unblock those people who dare not speak and cleanse the thirst for culture of those who appreciate learning more than one language.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Re: about the chat rules

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Feb 2013, 16:32

How does this related to the patch ?
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Zock » 10 Feb 2013, 17:10

Maybe you find someone who programms language channels and place the people automaticly there, as the server already know from what country each user is.

Else i think the disadvantages of allowing other languages (not moderationable, not a nice look when you read stuff all the time you can't read, and maybe the things in your language are hidden between all the russian, german or french) are greater then the benefits.

However i think a little bit more tolerance regarding the rule could be nice, one or two other language sentence don't really hurt, only if they fill out the whole chat.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby ColonelSheppard » 10 Feb 2013, 17:18

there has to bee one language for communication and the only viable choice for that is english, if people are not able to speak english AT ALL i would suggest them to learn it anyway (and i say this as a german)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby tatsu » 10 Feb 2013, 18:30

Ze_PilOt wrote:How does this related to the patch ?

I thought about that and obviously, being a change non code-related it is not but it would be nice to see this change at the same time as the upcoming patch it still fits here because of the relation to the novelty of the idea. I'm ok with moving the topic
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Bliss » 10 Feb 2013, 20:35

I see the OP point but please NO, It would be a mess :)
Bliss
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Bliss

Postby eXivo » 10 Feb 2013, 22:48

tatsujb wrote:But I strongly believe most people (yes most does not encompass absolutely all) are of good will and will be casual and respectfull of the chat rules when using another tongue, for say in stituations as innocent as when saying "hello".

No one has ever been banned for simply saying "hello" in their respective language, they have however, been banned after being kindly asked several times to use english in #aeolus, which they failed to comply with. And that borders onto disrespecting moderators, which is another rule :P
Be inspired to learn. Then aspire to disturb.
eXivo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_eXivo

Postby TartarusMkII » 11 Feb 2013, 16:34

Personally, I agree with both ideas here. It's important to have a centralized language, but it is a death sentence to turn off Europeans by making them feel that their language is not welcome.

I suggest a re-wording of the rules. Speaking in another language should not be against the rules, but the rules should include a 'suggestion', such as: "English is the standard language of the chat. When possible, please use English." Instead of saying that it is the 'rule'.

I don't know how our IRC works exactly, but it may be useful for moderators to maintain the ability to remove the voice of users in the room, which removes any reason to kick or ban anyone.
TartarusMkII
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TartarusMkII

Postby RoundTabler » 11 Feb 2013, 16:53

Is there a way to embed a translator in the chat? If this were moderately easy to accomplish, you give players the option of what language they want every post translated to. For example, if I want every post to be translated in English, someone could type "Hola", and it would show up as "Hello" for me.

Or, could you create another/several channels for other languages in the chat? Channels that are always there, like #Aeolus?
Avantgarde: bug reports go to you [zep] via PM?
Ze_PilOt_: no
Ze_PilOt_: never.

Ze_PilOt: FA is not about being in a comfort zone all the time.
I think the game you want to play is Starcraft 2.
RoundTabler
Contributor

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: RoundTabler

Postby Ze_PilOt » 11 Feb 2013, 17:05

Because automatic translators work so well :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Next

Return to off-topic