[MAP] epic battle (v2000)

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v1002)

Postby speed2 » 18 Apr 2015, 01:31

Even sand beach can look awfull if you dont do it right in editor and thats relatively easy to do. And you choose some weird green one with textures FA just dont have, so don't be surprised when people dont like it when it looks ugly. Maybe if you use some your custom textures, you can make it look good, but thats gonna require more work. Anyway good luck with it.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v1003)

Postby andybe » 18 Apr 2015, 03:52

and the shit won't stop raining down... anyone got an umbrella ?
andybe
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: andybe

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v1005)

Postby andybe » 18 Apr 2015, 17:56

v1005 out.

Added AI markers. SOrian still complains about missing markers but behaves a lot better now ^-^.
andybe
Crusader

Postby TheKoopa » 19 Apr 2015, 04:43

It's not shit if 3 of the best map makers in FAF take time out of their lives to tell you what you did wrong.
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby speed2 » 19 Apr 2015, 10:48

If you can't take critisizm of your work, don't make it public asking for feedback. In my previous post I was trying to explain how to do your idea better. If you think it looks nice, good for you, but keep in mind that other might have different feeling about it and Im gonna repeat it, you asked for feedback.

First version of my first map also didnt look THAT good, but all the people saying what was ugly, and then the small part telling you how to do it better, helped me to improve look of my map so now no one can complaing about ugly textures or badly used ones. And having nice looking map is a bit important.
speed2
Contributor

Postby andybe » 19 Apr 2015, 11:57

Kopia wrote:It's not shit if 3 of the best map makers in FAF take time out of their lives to tell you what you did wrong.

It's your attitude that bugs me. You say stuff you probably haven't even tested out and then assume you have to be right.

besides: when three people tell me my map looks bad and everyone else says "wow, cool map!" when they play it I stop caring about what 3 people say. I know the textures are still messy on some areas - i have eyes too.
But I actually asked for feedback on bugs and imbalances not so much on "hey what do you think of the beaches?" .

v1006 out:
- somehow top sea was missing 2 mexes loll... fixed
- improved AI markers
andybe
Crusader

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v1006)

Postby speed2 » 19 Apr 2015, 13:07

You need to pay attention more to negative feedback. Because if some people find things to improve, they might be right. Feedback like "wow, cool map!" would make you improve. And just from the visual sight of map. This map doesnt look that cool.

But I actually asked for feedback on bugs and imbalances not so much on "hey what do you think of the beaches?" .

From this you can see that there are people that care about how the map looks.

Now I finally had time to closely look at the map. So lets start with heightmap
I dont like this big height differences, just painting a plateau with one move of a brush. All the cliffs are ugly and unnatural.
Cliff will block a lot of navy fire, so no point of building that. Also by splitting all the starting positions you made it 4x 1v1 on 20km map. Pretty much only thing worth fighting for are those mexes on plateaus that can be accesed just by air.

If you want to make team game map, you should do it so team play actually matters. Its harder on 20km map since there is much more space. By doing only one land bridge to your opponent you have no chance of moving units around, no raids anything. This will be only static battle decided by early drop. Who secures more mass at the beginning. And then Eco fest.

Generally this is very bad map design and I cant imagine any good game on it.
This heightmap looks like 20min work, 40 if you didnt mirror it in photoshop. Good heightmap takes much more time to make.
speed2
Contributor

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v2000)

Postby andybe » 19 Apr 2015, 15:05

v2000:
- smoothened textures
- more complexion
- terrain should now accurately reflect impassable terrain and where you may move units / build stuff
- the green stuff stays ! xD but its a lot prettier now
- mid wreckage should now be distributed more fairly / theres also some complexion around reclaimable rocks ^-^
- added ramps at the backs of front main base. now raiders can sneak along walls to backstab enemy base.
andybe
Crusader

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v1006)

Postby andybe » 19 Apr 2015, 15:19

speed2 wrote:You need to pay attention more to negative feedback. Because if some people find things to improve, they might be right. Feedback like "wow, cool map!" would make you improve. And just from the visual sight of map. This map doesnt look that cool.

From this you can see that there are people that care about how the map looks.

Now I finally had time to closely look at the map. So lets start with heightmap
I dont like this big height differences, just painting a plateau with one move of a brush. All the cliffs are ugly and unnatural.
Cliff will block a lot of navy fire, so no point of building that. Also by splitting all the starting positions you made it 4x 1v1 on 20km map. Pretty much only thing worth fighting for are those mexes on plateaus that can be accesed just by air.

If you want to make team game map, you should do it so team play actually matters. Its harder on 20km map since there is much more space. By doing only one land bridge to your opponent you have no chance of moving units around, no raids anything. This will be only static battle decided by early drop. Who secures more mass at the beginning. And then Eco fest.

Generally this is very bad map design and I cant imagine any good game on it.
This heightmap looks like 20min work, 40 if you didnt mirror it in photoshop. Good heightmap takes much more time to make.

yeah i began retexturing this morning

looking a lot better now.

about the height mapping:
sea can actually access a lot of areas. In theory you might be right about that one path between the outer spots. But a lot of playtesting showed that sea can still be very very dominant on this map. The land path simply adds a little more complexity to the fight. I wanted to encourage sea raiding over land raiding across the outer map.
Although i haven't seen a dedicated sea spammer yet i fear cruisers might dominate this map.
It's a delicate balance I'll certainly keep my eyes on

Land raiding is still very much possible and rewarding between front players in the inner ring ( i experienced so first hand a couple of times :[ ). I even added slopes at the back of the bases now to encourage it even more. - i might even add tiny path to the sea at the sides where amphies can crawl up ... not sure about that yet.

But I am thinking about ways to smoothen out the terrain a little more without compromising even more sea area within the middle part -I'm very satisfied with the general difference in height tho.
Last edited by andybe on 19 Apr 2015, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
andybe
Crusader

Re: [MAP] epic battle (v2000)

Postby speed2 » 19 Apr 2015, 15:35

This is how nice cliffs looks like, not those slopes you have.
speed2
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping