New Map :: Staircase Mountains

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

New Map :: Staircase Mountains

Postby Phelom » 14 Apr 2015, 15:55

Hey Coms...

Here a new map from me "Staircase Mountains"

It's like Fields of Isis, but not totally flatten, based on the idea that i want to see some battles where one army is lower/upper than the other...

So, let's play and please leave some feedbacks ;)
Attachments
prev_2.JPG
prev_2.JPG (152.78 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
prev_1.JPG
prev_1.JPG (167.71 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Phelom

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 25 times
FAF User Name: Phelom/Gurzil

Re: New Map :: Staircase Mountains

Postby Tokyto » 14 Apr 2015, 23:20

The core concept of losing/winning one expansion at a time and fighting for it is interesting, but making it good is more then hard, you need to have some motivation for people to actually contest those areas, so people just wont ecowhore like on ISIS. But balance it that not all mass is in middle, or it will be snowball effect.

Also, can i suggest you to use more grass textures then one? its ugly :D

You can make mountains nice with brushes+decals (but before you do it you should have your final heightmap done). Same really goes for grass to dirt transitions, it doesn't feel natural at all.

Back to heightmap, do you really want to have so few chokepoints? What about deleting whole middle mountain? or at least making it small?

Reclaim also doesnt feel natural, its just of type of tree thrown everywhere with brush tool... you can be more creative then that!

But its nice to have another mapper here, so if you need any help just PM me, i'l be glad to help.
Tokyto
Evaluator

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 302 times
FAF User Name: Tokyto_

Re: New Map :: Staircase Mountains

Postby Phelom » 15 Apr 2015, 00:54

Thank you Tokyto for your good remarks... i do it quickly .. i was looking forward to have a playable map on the vault...

for the heightmap... the original idea has no mountains... .. i added them using SCEditor brushes... then symmetry with toshop.. aftyer that i remarked that they are too heigh...

I'll fellow your suggestions and do better next time :)

Thx
Phelom

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 25 times
FAF User Name: Phelom/Gurzil

Return to Mapping