Holynanner's Map Workshop

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Holynanner's Map Workshop

Postby speed2 » 08 Apr 2015, 11:33

PeanutCarl wrote:
partytime wrote:so much secure mass at your base so no need for map control.
large groups of units might have trouble pathfinding around all that stuff.
so maybe this maps really favours the turtle? which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
anyway looks interesting

I changed some of the mass points in V3 and 4, you'll notice you have less secure mass points, there is now a total of 14 mass points near the middle of the map.

I still think, well I know its too much for 5km map. maybe have a look again at my suggestion? red dots = mexes, 19 in total on map.
Also from what Ive seen in V3, there are still sharp cliffs, a lot of them, I expect you to fix that :P
Textures look much better, good improvement there.
Water actually was good as it was. Problem is the height difference. lowest terrain that is not under water is elevated 64 if Iremember correctly. And in water you went down to 10. Thats just too much different and it looks bad. I suggest you to rise that to about 57+- So the island is 64 at lowest. Water level would be 63 and bottom of water about 57.

And Decals I still expect you to add more, look at other maps how its done. for example my map Monaki. I have 1600 decals there, its 5km map. You put there like 20?

And I think you dont need to put every version to vault if you still work on it, just upload it here and there will be people who will test it and give you feedback
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Holynanners » 08 Apr 2015, 18:20

speed2 wrote:
PeanutCarl wrote:
partytime wrote:so much secure mass at your base so no need for map control.
large groups of units might have trouble pathfinding around all that stuff.
so maybe this maps really favours the turtle? which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
anyway looks interesting

I changed some of the mass points in V3 and 4, you'll notice you have less secure mass points, there is now a total of 14 mass points near the middle of the map.

I still think, well I know its too much for 5km map. maybe have a look again at my suggestion? red dots = mexes, 19 in total on map.
Also from what Ive seen in V3, there are still sharp cliffs, a lot of them, I expect you to fix that :P
Textures look much better, good improvement there.
Water actually was good as it was. Problem is the height difference. lowest terrain that is not under water is elevated 64 if Iremember correctly. And in water you went down to 10. Thats just too much different and it looks bad. I suggest you to rise that to about 57+- So the island is 64 at lowest. Water level would be 63 and bottom of water about 57.

And Decals I still expect you to add more, look at other maps how its done. for example my map Monaki. I have 1600 decals there, its 5km map. You put there like 20?

And I think you dont need to put every version to vault if you still work on it, just upload it here and there will be people who will test it and give you feedback

I'll keep working on it for sure, I will also only upload major changes to the map. And those mass points I didn't exactly understood what the red dots meant, now I do. I'll work on it right now.
"lol you peasents and your shitty gaming boxes" - [AIx]Necrosis
Holynanners
Crusader

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: Weedgineer420

Postby speed2 » 09 Apr 2015, 23:46

V6

Water
Make the water more clean, that blue doesnt quite fit there, change color of water. If you change third water level "abyss" to much lower value, that way you'll get rid of blue.

Decals
Change LODcutoff of those in water, to much higher value (1500-2000) so they are always seen. Also declas on beach, betweeen water and land, the original value is too low, make it at least 300. Zoom in and out to see when they fade away.They try to decals every cliff, it makes it look better than just stratum. There are some nice rock textures in desert that would be nice there. And then some Erosions all over place.

Resources
Mexes and hydros should be good for now, that will require some testing.

Props/reclaim
Rocks positions are nice. Not too many places, thats good. But where all the small rocks are, cut them to half, that will be enough.
And I think you can reduce trees by half as well and there are still gonna be enough of them and it should look better.

delete rocks from blue and add some to red, at least as many as in yellow, cause there is pretty much same distance from both bases so it can be contested. The way it is right now, all reclaim on that side belongs to that player. Ive changed the water level here abyss, but its still not perfect, play a bit with it

The middle two hills still need some love, make them more rounded and with no trees on them, or fery few. Make them look like hills and not plateau.
speed2
Contributor

Postby Holynanners » 10 Apr 2015, 00:01

Thanks for your feedback, I'll be sure to apply it! ^^
Holynanners
Crusader

Postby speed2 » 14 Apr 2015, 21:52

Feedback to V8

Reclaim
You have stacked two props on top of each other pretty much everywhere on the map, all trees, all rocks are twice everywhere. :roll:

Delete trees from two sides of that mex so two factories can be placed there without need of reclaiming. As shown on picture (much paint skillz 8-) )

From the middle, put there few T1 units instead of T2/T3. This is too much mass. Like 6-8 T1 tanks will be better. Or just 2 T2.

And get rid of that one rock in water, thats just ... :D

Decals
There are 2 declas on both half on map that you didnt pack with map so they look like this:
One is under that big rock, I moved it.
I dont know how to do that. So either you find out or just use different one.

Mexes
Move this one mex so Adjacency is possible when first factory is placed to hydro

And Im running out of ideas what to improve and that a good thing :) Good job, very nice map!
speed2
Contributor

Postby Holynanners » 15 Apr 2015, 01:06

I'll update the map right away! I'll work on those props too. Hopefully I'll have V9 ready tonight.
Holynanners
Crusader

Postby Ceneraii » 17 Apr 2015, 13:33

Disregard, I am an idiot ;D
Attachments
3333405-Ceneraii.fafreplay
(39.96 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by Ceneraii on 17 Apr 2015, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby speed2 » 17 Apr 2015, 13:56

Ceneraii wrote:I gave the map a go, thanks to Exotic_Retard for playtesting it with me.

So time for some feedback;

I recommend you try the latest version, V9 that has much less reclaim and no T3 dead units in middle :D as I suggested few posts above
speed2
Contributor

Postby Holynanners » 17 Apr 2015, 23:35

My bad, I wasn't home for a while so I couldn't respond nor update the post. Thanks for the testing. The main post is now updated with the changelog and the current version for download (it is also on the vault).

As always, thanks a lot for the feedback. It seems that it has become a great map. Now let's see if it can become a viable map for ladder :D
Holynanners
Crusader

Postby Ceneraii » 18 Apr 2015, 05:29

I'll try to get some games in on it in the next few days to provide proper feedback ^^
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping