Help with a map (Diezle Dune)

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Help with a map (Diezle Dune)

Postby Saxxon » 02 Jan 2015, 08:05

I am looking to fix the AI markers on a large map, Diezle Dunes 5v5 v2 found in the vault. It has a problem when we (I had one player giving advice who has done some maps before) try to open it in the editors (map, scenario, marker). One of the errors is something like "Index out of array bounds", bottom line is something somewhere is borked, maybe a good haxxor can or does know what that might be. IE, fixing a bad value in hex editor or text editor so that the game map tools can work it.

We were able to make a new map by sort of copying the old, but it wouldn't show up in game despite a few attempts, again most likely due to either the error, or something I didn't know about.

The base map is playable, with AI the Ai doesn't perform well enough to be a good test or challenge though and I usually like to try maps sandboxed with AI to scope out positions etc. Can't learn as much if the AI doesn't contest you for control points. Also thought about editing the map some for balance.

Any help is appreciated, someone with the knowledge to fix the glitch would be golden.
Saxxon

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Saxxon

Re: Help with a map (Diezle Dune)

Postby Lionhardt » 02 Jan 2015, 12:12

Uhm, just poking in the dark here... might have to do with the naval marker bug.

I can't quite recall what the bug is, but I had to fix it 2 times on my maps already...

Open the... scenario.lua I guess... (kinda rusty with mapping at the moment) and have a look, if somethings looks fishy about naval markers, if there are any.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Saxxon » 02 Jan 2015, 13:26

Its probably not that as there is no water on the map. I am not yet versed enough with the editor to know if there was something fishy or not, but the file failing to open precludes even checking that save as text in the .lua etc.
Saxxon

Postby BushMaster » 04 Jan 2015, 10:40

This sounds like the same error i get when i try to open up Regor VI. im pretty sure its not the naval marker bug, but what the issue is idk. perhaps just a difference between the 2 gpg editors or the map containing resources that have not been added to the editor trying to load the map. i have no clue, i gave up trying to solve it not long after i encountered it.
BushMaster

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: MooseFabricator

Postby Saxxon » 04 Jan 2015, 14:46

The guy I was working with speculated that the map was made with an earlier version of the editor that "locked" it somehow. Maybe by using differing formats, memory pointers etc. Or even a lock, I know that editing maps for Stronghold 2 one had to use a hex editor and remove some values to allow the map to be seen and edited in the game editor. Maybe something similar was going on with the earlier version. Anyone that knows would be helpful - got Chris Taylor's number?
Saxxon

Return to Mapping