A new type of maps?

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

A new type of maps?

Postby krapyl » 20 Nov 2014, 10:30

Hey mappers
First time poster, long time player :)
While there are so many awesome maps out there, nearly all of them follow the same principle: The ACU spawns near 4x mass extractors.

I thought why does it have to be this way?

I have an idea for another kind of map, that I am pretty sure could promise some interesting gameplay:
1: Let the ACU spawn very close (within visual range) of a huge reclamation field, say, a Monkeylord.
2: And let the nearest mass spots be quite far away, like on a somewhat distant island.
3: Furthermore, let the opposing ACUs spawn somewhat close to each other.

All of the above will enable various interesting strategies and player choices:
A: Should I try and build a base, funded by the Monkeylord wreck, get a quick air transport and fly to the mexes and begin the normal base building process?
B: Or I should I try to use some or all of the wreck to build up an attack base, get a force together and make an early attack, while ignoring the mexes. If the opponent expects a long mex grabbing game I may catch him off guard.
C: Or should I simply build a factory, leave the wreck and go harass my opponent, and possibly grab what is left of his wreck?

So I see some potential here, and if someone else does it too, I encourage you to modify and existing map or create a new one to let the community test this idea out.
I haven't made maps before, but I will try to make one myself if no one wants to make it.
So why did I write this post?
To get an idea about what people think about this - maybe I overlooked something. Also to let an experienced mapper fulfill this, as you will no doubt do a better job than me who has to learn it all from scratch.

I have made a mockup but I cant seem to be allowed to link to the image...

My own thoughts are:
Pros: This could be a fresh type of map setup that could make it into many different map layouts. Kinda like the map (I forgot the name) where all ACUs spawn next to each other, under water, in the center. That map, like this idea, opens for new interesting strategies.
Cons: Beginner players could have issues managing the Monkeylord wreck. They may end up grabbing the mass too fast, thus wasting lots of it.

Let me hear what your thoughts are :)
krapyl

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: krapyl

Re: A new type of maps?

Postby nine2 » 20 Nov 2014, 11:46

Daring Pursuit is like that ... although with not quite as much mass ... and its 3v3 and always ends with everyone dying.

Playing it 1v1 would be interesting.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Lionhardt » 21 Nov 2014, 03:45

Yea, as partytime said I tried that. Turns out people rather want to go kamikaze and end the game before it starts than play a little more defensive and expand to actually get a potentially nice game going.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby nine2 » 21 Nov 2014, 05:51

Yeah I think it would be different as a 1v1 though. The acu death chain reaction thing wouldn't be as big a problem. So you could
- rush with acu to middle to get mass
- try and make units and just kill him
- try and defend and build backwards
- try and raid him from building backwards
- or probably, do all 4 strategies at once

I guess the only way it would be a good game is if both players made an equal landrush army in the middle but got stalemated. They both get some reclaim but neither can really push on the other. So then its about building backwards and raiding them from doing the same, whilst trying to move your production out of your base (where it is vulnerable) and getting T2.

Could be ok but I think 90% of the time one player would just build better and run over the other guy with more tanks.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Return to Mapping