SalemBay Beta

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

SalemBay Beta

Postby Molotow » 27 Oct 2014, 12:37

My first attemtp at a map. It's a 4v4 10x10 map.
This is an early betaversion. Still allot of visuall work to do, but I feel it's ready for testplays. Any feedback will be appreciated.
It's in the mapvault under salembay.
Attachments
Skjermbilde3.JPG
Skjermbilde3.JPG (187.49 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
Molotow
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Molotow

Re: SalemBay Beta

Postby Lionhardt » 27 Oct 2014, 13:26

I like it. The layout is good too. Pretty rough around the edges still though. You need to make the terrain details look more natural. Try to get rid of all the sharp edges on the plateaus. And you need to place the decals more exactly. They look very sloppy still.

But all in all pretty solid for your first map.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Molotow » 11 Jan 2015, 03:16

New vresion of Salembay is up for playtesting. So go play it leave me some feedback!
Molotow
Crusader

Postby Aulex » 11 Jan 2015, 03:32

Looks interesting from a team game perspective. I haven't played it yet, but i'm just looking at it in sandbox. I think the mex spread is quite nice, close bases on both top and bottom which is quite nice. There is a lot of reclaim though which will promote turtley play for the back and mid player and possibly t2 rushing for top and bottom players. Conceptually i like it, but i do agree with lionhardt, it could look better.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Molotow » 12 Jan 2015, 11:15

Thanks for the feedback Aulex, Lionhardt. I'll be updating the esthetics as I go along, but there are still allot of things about the mapmaker that elude me.
Molotow
Crusader

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 13 Jan 2015, 22:09

Wow, its look perfect !

only think what i was loking that can be from my perspective change is place on edge with mexes, it is green but its still mountain and its not posible to build on that place, because that place is not flat enought. Cant make it more flat, as a ideal place for nuke with shield on edge of map?

i mean this one->
Spoiler: show
salem bay.png
salem bay.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3888 times
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Vee » 13 Jan 2015, 22:46

Nice map, anybody who wants to test this out? I think it could also be quite nice for 2v2 or even 1v1 if you are crazy :D

I agree with aulex about the reclaim, I'd remove some of the wrecks. Otherwise the entire game is about who gets that mass, and on such a new map it will take a while for the perfect meta for getting that mass to develop. If you want your map to be successful you want to make the first couple of games that people play on it already fun and not too one sided. This applies to almost any map, I haven't seen a map that's made more fun by huge mass in the middle between players.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Vee » 13 Jan 2015, 23:08

p.s. The slots are bit strange, neither top vs bottom nor left vs right nor even slots vs odd slots produces the matchup that you probably intended.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Ithilis_Quo » 14 Jan 2015, 01:13

it looks better as 3v3 map, the one slot is too far from otheres, but dont play it yet so maybe not.

and about mount of reclaim on middle. Its hard to say..actualy its about 4,5K mass in middle, what is divorced to 2 "separate" middle groupe, where would be enought send one acu from each team and can in safe take all reclaim for team. And will bring some potencial agresive gamepaly from start. But it will probably end as wonder whith are played whiteout omni, more as with.

with less middle reclaim it would be probably better. And air player have probably too many Mexes, its simmilar map as wonder, but here is easier make strong air. What would be too dominant, and rape all other gameplay
"Fixed in Equilibrium" Washy
Ithilis_Quo
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 181 times
FAF User Name: Ithilis

Postby Molotow » 14 Jan 2015, 03:58

Aight so after a few playtests I think I've caught the major issues. As ithilis said I might need to nerf airslot a bit, but that remains to be seen. There are a few higtmapissues to be sorted out.
1) Making the islands a bit bigger so transports can drop without issues.
2) Fixing the higtmaps in the back so engies can't stroll off the plateau.
3) Flattening the area around the sideplayerbases so that players can build without to many issues and terraforming.

beyond that I'm thinking of reducing the amount of mass in the middle so something not to silly. Any recs on the amount of mass that should be left there? I'm thinking in the 2-3k region but might cut it even further in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Makes it more fun to make maps when I get feedback :ugeek:
Molotow
Crusader

Next

Return to Mapping