More 1v1 maps for ladder

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

More 1v1 maps for ladder

Postby Kalvirox » 23 Oct 2014, 17:45

As you know.. there are maps being taken away from ladder
Link:

Basically.. we need more 1v1 maps, even if they don't get included on ladder we need more maps.. I should state that we don't need 5x5 maps since there are quite a few of them..

So this is basically a big PWEEEAASE make more 1v1 maps.. I would do it myself but due to other things I cannot.

Thanks.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 133 times
FAF User Name: Kalvirox

Re: More 1v1 maps for ladder

Postby TheKoopa » 01 Nov 2014, 15:49

I'm already working on one. Ask sneakysnake how "Tropical Lake" plays :D
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby D4E_Omit » 01 Nov 2014, 16:39

Well I have way too much free-time but I have no good idea for a map layout.. So if somebody has a sketch or an idea I can try make it into a map.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby TheKoopa » 01 Nov 2014, 19:32

You can help me with my map :D
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Kalvirox » 05 Dec 2014, 20:47

f***, I never realised this thread got a reply xDD. Sorry. As far as sketching an outline for a map I can do that but it would have to be done very crudely over paint. But I can give you some ideas.
[SFo]T4ffytr0n2014: You can tell Kalvirox comes from the south by what he is having for lunch
SeraphimLeftNut: Two pieces of copper are electrically the same, but you can stab people with one piece and send UDP packets through another
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Postby ozonex » 05 Dec 2014, 20:53

I have many free time in December and i can make few good, 1v1 maps. 2 of my maps are in lader right now, so maybe I will make something good :) Just finished Waters of ozone that can be played as 1v1 map
http://ozonex.pl/gallery/watersofozone_beta4.png
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Kalvirox » 05 Dec 2014, 20:55

ozonex wrote:I have many free time in December and i can make few good, 1v1 maps.

Cool, I look forward too it :)
Also, since when has the forum asterisked out swear words? xD
Kalvirox
Evaluator

Postby Hawkei » 08 Dec 2014, 13:44

I have an idea for a map. Make it unequal proportions with 5x20km (or 5x40km). With each of the players spawning at the far ends of the map. It is a river canyon with cliffs on either side and down it's middle there is a narrow river. Expansion mexes are mostly clustered at defensible locations along it's length. The sheer distance to be covered should itself make the map interesting. Yet the playable area should still be fairly limited, with a tug-o-war style of gameplay. Supporting and reinforcing an army over these distances will become the real challenge.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Vee » 08 Dec 2014, 15:08

So...gameplay like thermo?
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Lionhardt » 09 Dec 2014, 14:25

Hawkei wrote:I have an idea for a map. Make it unequal proportions with 5x20km (or 5x40km). With each of the players spawning at the far ends of the map. It is a river canyon with cliffs on either side and down it's middle there is a narrow river. Expansion mexes are mostly clustered at defensible locations along it's length. The sheer distance to be covered should itself make the map interesting. Yet the playable area should still be fairly limited, with a tug-o-war style of gameplay. Supporting and reinforcing an army over these distances will become the real challenge.

terrible idea. I wouldn't waste my time on that one, if I were you.

The key to a good map is a good balance between predictability and variety of options. There is a sweet-spot. Like in chess. You know which moves your opponent can possibly make, but you don't know exactly which one of those he is going to choose. This has as an emergent effect a mind game that makes the fun.

The moves of chess, on maps corresponds to LANES for the most part. That is why maps with few lanes are boring, and maps without any lanes are boring too.

Lanes can also be connecting, like on Syrtis Major... or like I did on Regor.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt