How to deal with the write protection of SCMP files

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

How to deal with the write protection of SCMP files

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 07 Oct 2014, 14:33

I'm currently trying to make a weird adaptation of an original supcom map. The way to do that best is by making a new file and use an existing map (as opposed to truly making a new file, where you have to set the values of the size and the water depth etc.)

The advantage of this is that the exact water values are copied, as well as the lighting and the props, possibly also the decals (haven't checked on those). If you just make a new map with the same size and then import the elevation and strata .raw files, you have to set the lighting by yourself (I tried that and it still looked different from the original), and replace the props.

I have one big issue with the editor though. If I import the whole map when making a new file, I get stuck on saving it, with the error of write protection (obviously, you can't change the original files). I copied the whole stuff and removed the protection in the standard windows interface, but its still there somehow.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get rid of it?
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Re: How to deal with the write protection of SCMP files

Postby nine2 » 07 Oct 2014, 14:48

I wasn't able to edit FA files until I made myself the 'owner' of the folder. Can't remember how to do that.

What o/s you running?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Omnipotent » 07 Oct 2014, 16:40

Alternatively, you can use a hex editor to just copy and paste the information into an "all files" -write- new file .scmap

That way you've essentially just copied the exact same thing without protection. So it will encounter no problems in the editor.
Also, all files are locked so you have to do it for all of them, except the script ofc.
1 Sulphur Mounds, Sulphur Lake, and Open Combat
2 Coastal Bridge v2
3 Burner, Burner II
4 Fortress Ascent
5 Gap Of Genesis
6 Genesis VI, Genesis IV
7 Coastal Aisles
8 Hypothermia
9 The Requisite
10 New Wonder
11 New Zeta Wonder
Omnipotent
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: Omnipotent

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 07 Oct 2014, 16:50

Omnipotent wrote:Alternatively, you can use a hex editor to just copy and paste the information into an "all files" -write- new file .scmap

A Hex editor? I have no idea what that means...

partytime wrote:I wasn't able to edit FA files until I made myself the 'owner' of the folder. Can't remember how to do that.

What o/s you running?

Win7.

EDIT: I solved the issue. When I copied the files, removed the protection, I forgot that when opening the file in the editor, I'm still in the old, protected map. Additionally, the references in the copied file are still to the old map, so I changed that as well.

So that's what you have to do if you get this issue yourself.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Mapping