Jungle Canyons - My first map!

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

Jungle Canyons - My first map!

Postby MinisterPhobia » 01 Sep 2014, 04:13

Hi Everybody!

My first map is up in the vault and I'm looking for comments and constructive criticisms. It's called Jungle Canyons and, in my mind, it's incomplete, but, I was drunk a couple of days ago and decided to upload it anyways. So, while I'm working on revisions and whatnot, I figure I should ask you guys for comments and constructive criticisms so that I can improve it as much as possible.

Please remember that sober me didn't intend for this to be uploaded. Drunk me was/is a fool. So, there's no decals, and there's some heightmap stuffs that I intend to correct. But, within all of that, let's hear what you've got to say!

Here's a preview image so you know you've got the right one...

Or not... it still thinks I'm a new user which means that I'm not allowed to post any URLs to anything. Not the first time... How do I get rid of that?
MinisterPhobia
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MinisterPhobia

Re: Jungle Canyons - My first map!

Postby Lionhardt » 01 Sep 2014, 10:12

upload image as attachment
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby Lionhardt » 01 Sep 2014, 12:12

So, I have had a look at the map now. Your feedback:

- the map is too big for its layout; you do know it takes an acu HALF AN HOUR to cross the map?
- the canyon walls are too high; the camera spazes out
- your strata resolution is set too low
- it doesn't look nice overall..., can't say anything specific
- too few mexs for the map size.
- questionable mex distribution across the map
- too many safe mexes compared to expansion mexes
- your canyon concept doesn't really work with the game, unit counts, pathfinding issues etc.
- Your shadow color is green...
- I have massive issues spotting reclaim, because it hides in front of the strata and it's super low resolution.
- there are props hanging over the map border
- the map just doesn't look nice
- no AI markers (yet?)
- the mexes are partly asymmetrical

But you at least rotated it properly, which makes it way better than many other maps.
Help me make better maps for all of us, visit my Mapping Thread.

Maps needing gameplay feedback:
Spoiler: show
[list updated last: 31.1.2018]

(maps available in the vault)

- Hexagonian Drylands
- Fervent Soil and Torrid Suns

YouTube Channel
Lionhardt
Contributor

Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 144 times
FAF User Name: Lionhardt

Postby nine2 » 01 Sep 2014, 15:19

I actually like the canyon concept, reminds me of milford sound. Not saying that canyons will or wont work, just saying it appeals to me.

I think it would be spectacularly hard to play this map because it is so big, but without much room to move around. Like half the map is impassable, leaving narrow water and narrow land. So it would take you forever to cross the map and when you do he can hold it with some point defense. Someone would get the middle and they would out-eco the other team, but when they killed them it would only be with expermentals/nukes/arty/etc. Normal units wouldn't do the job due to the crazy eco's. Some people might find all of that appealing but not me.

The layout would be more interesting as a 2v2 on 10x10 or so, with mexes spread out in a few clumps rather than just one big lot in the center. Then suddenly the players have to fight for the map in interesting ways, the narrow corridors don't matter so much because it is smaller. With these changes I kind of like it because you would have lots of little fights you would need to take care of, not just sit back and turtle. Visually, I think you could refine it a lot more, but as you said it's unfinished. Just adding decals wouldn't be enough though.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Return to Mapping