How to put NPC's in a map

Interesting mapping tools and mapping help.

Moderator: Morax

How to put NPC's in a map

Postby H2H_TechMonkey » 28 Aug 2014, 22:09

I am building a map with 3 pathways between mountains North to South.

2 of the pathways I would like to put some T3 PD and bits in that will be unpassable until later in the game, any clues on how to add the units?

In case it isnt clear, I am noob at this and learning the ropes :)
H2H_TechMonkey

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: H2H_TechMonkey

Re: How to put NPC's in a map

Postby H2H_TechMonkey » 29 Aug 2014, 00:07

Never mind I re-read the tutorial and worked it out.

For anyone else who find this thread, see here http://supcom.wikia.com/wiki/MapEditTutorial_Lesson_7

At the bottom where it says adding civilians:

If you want to add Civilians to your map, go back to the Armies layer in the Layer window. Create two new armies. Click on one and rename it to ARMY_9. Rename the other to NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN. In the Armies window, click on the [+] of NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN to open up the army list. With INITIAL selected, right click on the map and choose a building. This will plop down a building at the location you clicked for the NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN army. If you accidentally deselect the INITIAL group, you can always drag buildings between groups in the Armies window. Place all of the typical civilian buildings in the NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN army. Defensive structures should be placed in the INITIAL group of the ARMY_9 army.
Next we have to tell the game to treat these as civilian buildings. Unfortunately, doing this from the editor causes a crash, so we have to do it manually. Close the editor and go to the _scenario.lua file. Modify the CustomProps section so that it looks like this:

customprops = {
['ExtraArmies'] = STRING( 'ARMY_9 NEUTRAL_CIVILIAN' ),
},
Save the lua file and try out the map. If you have problems getting the civilians to appear, make sure you set up the armies properly. If all else fails, open up one of the official maps that contains civilians and compare the setup to yours.
H2H_TechMonkey

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: H2H_TechMonkey

Return to Mapping